Snap, Crackle, Pop! Help me fix my static issue!

Ok so I picked up a Pro-Ject Carbon Turntable recently and I am looking to upgrade my system altogether. I'm sure this is asked a lot on here, but I am looking for some recommendations on a budget. I don't need anything incredibly loud as I live in an apartment nor do I need anything integrated with a home entertainment system as I don't have one. I am looking for "decent quality for the price" hence why I have a Pro-Ject Carbon as the centerpiece. I am looking within the $500 range for speakers, amp and if necessary, pre-amp. I would prefer floor speakers, but I am also open mounted (not into the wall, rather a stand) bookshelf speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am also heading over to a couple stores tomorrow to check out a few local options so I don't have to spend a ton on shipping.

So far I am liking the BIC America Venturi DV84 2-Way Tower Speakers and Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver which will cost roughly $550 shipped from Amazon (though I will shop around first).

BICs are crap. Avoid. If you spent $400+ on a table, spend $400+ on speakers, and spend $400+ on an integrated amp. Why compromise on everything else when you got a nice table? If it takes more savings, selling some records, giving some randos a handy, its worth it in the long run. This equipment can outlast you if you treat it nicely.

Ok so I picked up a Pro-Ject Carbon Turntable recently and I am looking to upgrade my system altogether. I'm sure this is asked a lot on here, but I am looking for some recommendations on a budget. I don't need anything incredibly loud as I live in an apartment nor do I need anything integrated with a home entertainment system as I don't have one. I am looking for "decent quality for the price" hence why I have a Pro-Ject Carbon as the centerpiece. I am looking within the $500 range for speakers, amp and if necessary, pre-amp. I would prefer floor speakers, but I am also open mounted (not into the wall, rather a stand) bookshelf speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am also heading over to a couple stores tomorrow to check out a few local options so I don't have to spend a ton on shipping.

So far I am liking the BIC America Venturi DV84 2-Way Tower Speakers and Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver which will cost roughly $550 shipped from Amazon (though I will shop around first).

If you try that same insound offer again you can pickup a Music Hall A15.2 integrated amp for $364 shipped. 

I guess it's worth a shot. I was between that and the other integrated amp I mentioned.

At $150 off the retail price (tax and shipping potentially not included), I think thats a steal. Especially for someone who has mentioned a budget involved. 

Though, I find it hard to believe they're gonna honor these orders the 2nd time around, I took a shot as well. Why not? 

Yeah it's a great price, but I also liked what I heard about the Harman Kardon HK 3390 which is retail $400 and is on sale right now for $303 w/ free shipping. I'm going to a couple audio stores today to check out a few other receivers and possibly these two before I make a final decision.

Yeah it's a great price, but I also liked what I heard about the Harman Kardon HK 3390 which is retail $400 and is on sale right now for $303 w/ free shipping. I'm going to a couple audio stores today to check out a few other receivers and possibly these two before I make a final decision.

I havent heard either, TBH but a good rule of thumb is to bypass the receiver stage altogether, unless youre planning on ever using it for its radio features. 

Why do you say that?

Heres what I found that can explain it better than I can

"The thing that I think favors an amp over a receiver is the absence of "crosstalk" between the tuner and the other sources. In most cases the crosstalk is very slight, so slight that you have to listen for it with volume turned up all the way, but it's there. With an amp connected to a separate tuner, you can just turn the tuner off and no more crosstalk."

Ultimately though it all depends on what options youre comparing. 

Gotcha...I think the integrated amplifier would be the best bet then. I had a lot of problems with RFI with the old pioneer I have hooked up now due to my location and the crappy makeshift grounding job I did due to the lack of a grounding pin on the back. Still looking for that last piece to get this TT spinning with a proper setup. Then in a few months when I have some more money to throw around I will upgrade the platter, get a clamp and possibly a speedbox. Hopefully then I should be set for a while with exception to replacing the stylus and the belt when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about $400 left to spend but I'd like to spend less if possible. So I have the following:

HAVE

===

TT: Pro-Ject Carbon http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debutcarbon&cat=tur..

Speakers: Def Tech 350 Bookshelves http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-StudioMonitor-Speakers-Black/dp/B000TD6REQ

NEED

===

Integrated Amp / Receiver: ???

Other (Cables? Add-ons?): ???

Bookshelf Stands: ???

I am still looking for a integrated amp or receiver to complete everything as well as some cables for the speakers and maybe some bookshelf stands if anyone knows any cheap solutions other than buying the manufacturer's. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to all this I have always used hand-me down equipment and am building out my own for the first time. So far I have taken the general beginner's route with a "best for the budget" approach as you can tell by the two components I have picked up already.

Right now I am leaning toward purchasing the Harman Kardon HK 3390 80W Stereo Receiver (http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Receiver/dp/B00198BOAM) because it falls in my desired price range and should be able to handle my turntable / speakers well as well as potential add-ins such as a CD Player/Tape Player/MP3 Player/iPod/Phone when necessary (correct me if I' m wrong which is very likely). There was a mention of crosstalk being a concern so I wanted to know how much this will actually factor in? The records I will be listening to go from fuzzy overdriven garage punk to soft and acoustic singer songwriter stuff so a general solution would be nice. I have also looked into the Onkyo TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver and Marantz PM5004. Any advantages / disadvantages to any of these? Are any ideal or is it pretty much a toss up for all 3? Should I take a completely different route? Suggestions in the $400 price range as also welcome.

Also can someone link me to the cables I will need for my speakers if they don't already come with the receiver/amp (which I'm assuming they don't)? And last off anyone know where to pick up any cheap bookshelf stands? Maybe there is an Ikea solution?

I want to purchase everything in the next couple of days so I can start listening to my records again. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone who helped out already!

Have you read any feedback on this? I'd like to know more about the integrated DAC vs. buying one when I introduce a CD player to the system. At this time it will be used primarily for my records and tapes.

Edit: I was also reading up on this one which is similar: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo--5VL-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B002C73WR2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357676309&sr=1-1&keywords=dac+amplifier+integrated. It sounds like these were designed for so for a digital listening experience so I am leaning toward the HK and investing in a DAC when the time comes. Or just grabbing the a 3490 vs. the 3390 for a temporary solution to getting a DAC and more power without trading off quality for my primary use (playing my records).

After considering the Music Hall A15.2, Harmon Kardon 3390/3490 and a couple different Onkyo's (TX-8050 & A-5VL), I think I'm going with the Harman Kardon HK 3490 - 120W per channel (2 channel system) with the ability of integrating 2 subs, two ports for an XM radio and iPod dock and digital coax and optical ports. Will I need to purchase an external DAC in the future to use my laptop or spotify/pandora/last.fm/etc.? Or I just use a headphone to RCA input or some sort of coax cable for it? Also for a CD player is it better to use the analog or digital coax/optical port?

It has a built in DAC that will be fine. As for CD player, depends on the player. You can always experiment.

Sorry about that - I have been doing a lot of reading today and despite realizing the built in DAC, I asked the question anyway. What I meant to ask was more along the lines of connecting my laptop to the receiver to play last.fm or my digital library (or someone else's via their phone if necessary. Of course this isn't the most important function, but I was just curious. One thing I liked about the TX-8050 was that it all integrated in via a network making things like this wireless and much simpler. However, I'd rather go with the HK for more power and the fact it was built for music. I read a lot of negative comments regarding using record players with the TX-8050 saying it was built more-so for digital use.