Snap, Crackle, Pop! Help me fix my static issue!

The outlets turned out to be grounded properly. I removed and replaced all connections again and I also switched to 5 different outlets. Tried setting up downstairs to no avail. I did purchase a brand new record to test yesterday and while it was a lot cleaner in sound compared to a handful of other records I was testing, it still had the same annoying static sound. Where else could the ground be failing? The outlet is grounded, the power bars are functional, and I have a ground wire from the turntable to the phono input on my receiver. Could the built in pre-amp be my problem? Should I removed the cartridge and put it back in? What else could cause this static? I am thinking of buying and acrylic platter but is that just putting a band aid on a larger problem?

What should I do to check the cartridge cables? I get loud feedback if I even touch them slightly and they seem to be a bit tangled up. The turntable came to me this way. Everything seems to be plugged in correctly, but I could be wrong. I just don't want to mess anything up as they cables are really close and it looks a bit difficult removing those wires even with a set of needlenose pliers. 

I am using the built in preamp via the phono input of the receiver. I set the volume at about -30dB and I can hear it clear as day over the softer spots of a song. The problem is as soon as I drop the needle I already get the crackling noise and it plays throughout each and every track. I tried playing the same record on another turntable in my apt. and the crackle was much less prominent. I played these same records at my old apt. with my old turntable with no issues. Everything sounded very clean with the normal low amount of hiss/static/hum.I am going to have a friend of mine borrow these records and see if he notices the same issue then I will probably use wood glue or purchase a cleaning solution to see if it helps. I also use my anti-static brush before playing any record.

#1 is unplug your amp when messing with anything. Find out what cartridge you have. Find out the cable map (where red goes, where blue goes, where green goes, where white goes). Make sure the cartridge cables are properly plugged in. Those cables should not be tangled at all. As straight as possible. This can be corrected by unplugging them, untangled them, and trying to remove any unneeded slack in the cables. Also make sure they are connected tightly.

Typically...

Left = white wire
Left Ground = blue wire
Right = red wire
Right Ground = green wire

They are a bit of a tangled mess so that could very well be it. I went ahead and bought the acri-plat as well. If reconnecting these tables and the new platter don't solve the issue I am going to consider picking up a new stylus. Worst case scenario I will at least have a spare and it comes with the cartridge on turntable lab so I'll have a spare Ortofon: 2M-Red. Good thing I got a bonus last week...

There are a couple in center city, but I'm not sure how reliable they are (the one is called Funk-O-Mart haha). That is still great advice and I will result to that before spending anymore money on components. Thanks again for the all the help in troubleshooting this. 

My buddy had a hum problem with his Debut III. The Carbon may be the same. Under the plinth there is a cover that houses what looks like a piece of silver poster board that has the ground wire contected to it. Pro-ject told him that it may have a bad solder connection and they suggested he resolder it. I'm not sure what happened, but you may want to check it out. There is something very wrong with you TT if you hear static when your hand gets near the tonearm. It's extremely unlikely, but you may have some bad or broken wiring anywhere from the cart through to the outputs. How long have you had your Carbon? Can't you exchange it?

Also, I read back through the forum, and saw that you have a referb HK. If you don't have another receiver/amp to test with, you need to take your TT to a shop and plug it in and see if your Carbon gives you the same issues. It could be the receiver (referb or not), but isolating this is the only way to tell.

I sent a few e-mails out to a couple hifi outlets for HK and Pro-Ject just outside Delaware and sent e-mails to HK and Pro-Ject. I will try out a different receiver to rule out the HK and then look into the internal grounding on the Pro-Ject. I bought the Carbon brand new about 2 months ago but just got the rest of my stuff in about a week ago so I didn't attempt to use it until recently. 

Does my cassette player count even though there is no grounding pin? Pro-Ject advised me that there is either an internal grounding issue with the turntable or I have a faulty cartridge / improper cartridge connection. I unplugged the wires and rewired them. Still the same problem. I am almost certain it is the turntable at this point I will see what action they take. I have a feeling it is going to wind up with me sending it back to Insound. 

Because of one guy's issue? Don't buy anything ever again.

Hahahahahaha, seriously!

You do know that Pro-ject has sold a several hundred thousand turntables right? Of course there are gonna be some that have manufacturing defects. Id go so far to say that over 95% of them are defect free. Seems OP just got really really unlucky. Ive got a Carbon and have no issues. You dont hear much from people like me because people usually just take to a message board when theyve got a problem they need fixing.

Well fair enough, sorry if I'm afraid of dropping $399+ on something that might have issues. I don't have an extremely disposable income to buy things like this willy nilly. I know you guys probably don't either, but it's a fear of mine.

Id have no fear of buying one if I were you. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better brand new TT than this for $400.

Yeah, it's just my horrible luck that screwed me over. And it might not even be the turntable itself - just the cartridge.

My guess is its an issue with grounding whether its due to your TT or pre-amp, ive got no idea. Im sure youll find out when they send over a new TT. It sucks when you have an issue with your setup because diagnosis isnt always so easy. Fortunately my only issues so far have been with my receiver that wasnt above a quick deoxit cleanse.