Old Turntable

Obviously there are some real dickwad audiophiles out there, but in my experience, most of these people are more than willing to lend a helpful hand or sage words of advice. They simply enjoy sharing their passion and want others to get the same sort of enjoyment from spinning their vinyl as they do.

It's almost like they've unearthed some sort of mystical audio elixir within those magic grooves ... and in that respect, if you've stumbled across something so moving - so jaw-droppingly awesome - why keep it to yourself?  It's really not that different than discovering a terrific new band being so excited that you can't help but scream its praises to the world.

Of course, it's important to remember that not everyone follows the same path, and what strikes a chord with me might not ring your bell in the slightest.  Nothing wrong with that, but there's also no harm in offering encouragement and maybe some gentle prodding.  I started out with modest used gear as well, but somewhere along the way I fell in love with tweaking, modifying and upgrading, and I continue to get more and more satisfaction from listening to records.  I encourage kids to ditch their shitty turntables because I think a lot of them are missing out on something pretty astonishing.  But if you don't care all that much, I'm fine with that too, and I never look down on someone if that's how they feel.

Obviously there are some real dickwad audiophiles out there, but in my experience, most of these people are more than willing to lend a helpful hand or sage words of advice. They simply enjoy sharing their passion and want others to get the same sort of enjoyment from spinning their vinyl as they do.

It's almost like they've unearthed some sort of mystical audio elixir within those magic grooves ... and in that respect, if you've stumbled across something so moving - so jaw-droppingly awesome - why keep it to yourself? It's really not that different than discovering a terrific new band being so excited that you can't help but scream its praises to the world.

Of course, it's important to remember that not everyone follows the same path, and what strikes a chord with me might not ring your bell in the slightest. Nothing wrong with that, but there's also no harm in offering encouragement and maybe some gentle prodding. I started out with modest used gear as well, but somewhere along the way I fell in love with tweaking, modifying and upgrading, and I continue to get more and more satisfaction from listening to records. I encourage kids to ditch their shitty turntables because I think a lot of them are missing out on something pretty astonishing. But if you don't care all that much, I'm fine with that too, and I never look down on someone if that's how they feel.

Dont think I could have said it any better.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha. We all start somewhere. As I mentioned, I rode the vintage train for a long time. When my money flow upgraded, my audio upgraded. My original "great" setup was...

Marantz 2330B receiver

Marantz 6200 turntable

Marantz Imperial 6 speakers

I found a Marantz 6200 on craigslist for $50. Needs a "belt and needle" so I'm thinking about picking it up for either, personal use, or hell at that price, give it a belt and needle and resell the thing. If I go and look at it, what do you recommend looking for to get a better grasp if it's worth it?

Here is the pic, and yes I realize the date. I asked about that in the email, hopefully the camera just isnt set to the correct date, at all.

3Lb3Fc3I85I85Ne5M4d1s4de14aab09d01193.jp

• 2 weeks later...

How high should I go on a

Thorens TD 125 Turntable

It would be a total crap shoot but the record player turns on and was stored in the original box.  Looks in pretty ok shape, but a bit dusty.

The TD-125 is fairly coveted in terms of vintage Thorens, and most consider it second in line to the legendary TD-124.  If you look at sold eBay listings, they're going anywhere from $300 to over 1K.

It's a really nice turntable and will provide the opportunity for tonearm upgrade options in the future if you decide to go that route.

I don't know ... it really just depends on what type of condition it's in.  Try to get it as cheap as possible.   It it works as it should and you can get it for somewhere in the $200 - $300 range, I'd jump on it. And if it doesn't work and you can get it for really cheap, do it ... and then send it to me!  I'll buy it from you and attempt to restore it!

I saw that Thorens, it just looks kinda crazy to me.  It may have the best sound ever in the world of turntables, but the linear tracking looking arm just seems like it would be one extra thing to have to replace/repair down the road.  I'm sure you could hang on to it for a few years and (at least) get your money out of it on the flipside.

That Rabco arm is pretty sweet, but I've heard it can be temperamental.  From the pics, that whole package looks like it's in rough shape.  I wouldn't do it unless you had a few hundred extra dollars to put into restoring it.  And a goodwill auction sounds like even more of a crap shoot.

Huh ... 3 hours left and it's already up to $450.  I told you those TD-125s were fairly coveted.  And that's one in unknown condition!

The technics 1650 is decent, but $150 seems a little high to me, especially if you'll need to replace the stylus on the cartridge.  If you can get him down to $125 I'd consider it.  It just depends on how badly you want that particular table.

I've been using my Father's Zenith turntable/am, fm stereo/broken 8 track he had in college and that my family used when I was a kid, for several years now, the things a beast and it has a lot of motor noise but it's done the job. I ordered a pro-ject carbon from musician's friend a while ago, but it's been back ordered for a month and still haven't heard exactly when it's coming in.  Haven't been charged yet for it so, no big deal I guess. Will be nice to clear up some space on my shelf though as the carbon will be about 6 inches narrower than the Zenith.

My turntable is a MCS 5000. I have no idea who or what that is. Its hooked up to some Sony A/V console thinger and some Pioneer CS-G103 speakers. I paid 30 bucks for all of it. It all works great and I love it.

My dad gave me his Yamaha PF-1000 TT years ago.  He got it in the 70's or 80's I believe, but it still works great.  Use a shitty carver receiver though, which could use an upgrade, and I am currently looking for new speakers.

That's a great turntable, and definitely worthy of upgrading the gear around it!

I'm still using a Crosley. With my cash flow, it's more viable for me to get something vintage at the moment or I could save up for a year and get a $300-400 turntable (already have a decent speaker/receiver). 

Anyways, someone's selling an old Magnavox on Craigslist for $50. It's about the size of a side table.

Nothing too special, I should probably just sell everything and buy one genuinely nice system, right?

Bit of a rotation, but here's a few of my amps/recievers

Marantz SC500 preamp + Marantz SM500DC power amp

Marantz PM310

Hitachi HA-410

JVC JR-S61M

Turntables?

Technics SL-23

Realistic Lab 440

Pioneer Rondo 2000

some surprisingly not-shithouse Sanyo model

and I'm working on reviving a Garrard Lab 80 MKII (yeah, an old one)

Speakers?

Bower & Wilkins DM4's

Sony Carbocon 1250's

Technics SB 1950's

Pretty sure that I've spent under $100 on the stuff I've just listed. I spent precisely $0.00 on those speakers. That excludes cartridges/stylii of course.

I used to have about 4 times this much but man... it starts to take up space, I haven't bothered listing a few nice old tape decks & tuners, 8track units etc.

Definitely regret selling off some nice Yamaha and Akai gear in the past.

I don't aim for any kind of amazing system, no point when I'm trying desperately to source rare 40 year old 45's... best case scenario they wont sound amazing. I dunno, more about the music to me than accurate sound. If it was all about sound I'd be re-listening to Phil Collins records over and over.

...but I will be upgrading, my gear (although plentiful) is pretty much entry level or below

• 1 year later...

I have one of those setups where its a turntable attached to a 3 disc changer and a double tape deck. Now that I think about it I think I got this for Christmas 1998. It has moved with me about 6 times and still works fine.

Bumping an old thread here..

I have this exact player, and got it at the same time  you did!  It was very trusty and I used it for many years..although I haven't played a record on it in quite some time now.

One of the great things was recording records straight to tape!  I had a tape deck in my Honda Accord I was driving at the time, and I'd make these mix tapes from 45s a bunch.  Good  memories.  I made a mix tape for my (now) wife that way when we first started dating.

I'm thinking of buying a new stylus/cartridge for it and using it in one of the bedrooms of my house.  Anyone do that with this thing?