The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

On 10/22/2018 at 5:34 PM, ThunderPantz said:

https://streamable.com/dh0tc

Yes I know this is amateurish but the problem starts around 1:15 but you easily hear it again at 1:25. If I'm wrong and my ears are off please set me straight.

This is a mastering issue, not a pressing issue. It happens a few times over the course of the LP. If you listen loudly/closely, those dips in sound are accompanied by very faint dialog and/or sound effects from the film. This was purportedly taken from the film's  "mono stems" but it sounds like they had some issues with the other tracks bleeding through.

13 hours ago, docbronze said:

This is a mastering issue, not a pressing issue. It happens a few times over the course of the LP. If you listen loudly/closely, those dips in sound are accompanied by very faint dialog and/or sound effects from the film. This was purportedly taken from the film's  "mono stems" but it sounds like they had some issues with the other tracks bleeding through.

Sounds about right. And yeah, the second side had even more drop outs. I sent the record back and got a refund from them and they told me the record has some problems on some tables. I run an ortofon blue on a 1200 so I think  that excuse is a crock of shit. And someone uploaded the full album on youtube and you can the issues there too. This was only the splatter though. I am wondering if somehow the orange might be okay, but it's doubtful. After The Fountain, Batman Returns, Magnolia, and now this I am not buying anything from them until I see some reviews.

4 hours ago, ThunderPantz said:

Sounds about right. And yeah, the second side had even more drop outs. I sent the record back and got a refund from them and they told me the record has some problems on some tables. I run an ortofon blue on a 1200 so I think  that excuse is a crock of shit. And someone uploaded the full album on youtube and you can the issues there too. This was only the splatter though. I am wondering if somehow the orange might be okay, but it's doubtful. After The Fountain, Batman Returns, Magnolia, and now this I am not buying anything from them until I see some reviews.

It is not your table; literally every copy has the dropouts. And the orange will only be different from the splatter is they made a different master and cut new stampers for it which there is very little chance of having happened. It has nothing to do with the wax.

All that said, these issues aren't insurmountable to me. I have a VS copy and the original Mondo 2xLP reissue (with the intentional dialog) from the expanded CD so this still offers me a different presentation of the score with new music in a new order and from a legitimately unique source. Under my own personal circumstances, I'm actually quite happy to have it even if I think they could have perfected it a bit more.

Might be in the slight minority, but I like it and prefer it to some of the earlier remastered/remixed versions. It's raw and imperfect, and unless you're going for a HQ analog experience, it's as spooky and unsettling as watching an old VHS  copy of the film. It's not a defect, it was intentional. The dips in sound throughout are a somewhat unfortunate effect, but livable nonetheless. I'm glad someone finally released it like this, it fits the movie and the idea of the film perfectly, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, mr. sincere said:

Might be in the slight minority, but I like it and prefer it to some of the earlier remastered/remixed versions. It's raw and imperfect, and unless you're going for a HQ analog experience, it's as spooky and unsettling as watching an old VHS  copy of the film. It's not a defect, it was intentional. The dips in sound throughout are a somewhat unfortunate effect, but livable nonetheless. I'm glad someone finally released it like this, it fits the movie and the idea of the film perfectly, in my opinion.

I enjoyed it as well. I think the unintentional, or perhaps unavoidable, part that's being discussed here is the leveling issue. Whether or not that's liveable is just a matter of taste, but it definitely isn't a stylistic choice. Though it may be an unintentional byproduct of one. Either way, if you're on your second or third different version of Halloween, I'd imagine you're fairly excited about this one.

28 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

So it turns out that I accidentally bought two Castevania: Symphony of the Night tricolor records when I meant to get one and a Rondo of Blood. Does anyone have an extra Rondo that they would trade for the tricolor CV: Symphony?? lol

I'll take it if no one takes you up on your offer.

20 minutes ago, docbronze said:

Anybody have a line on where a fella might pick up a reasonably priced Big Trouble in Little China retail (black) variant ?

There is a repress going up Wednesday, red splatter I believe. 

Black is here if not, slightly over cost: https://us.zavvi.com/merch-vinyl/big-trouble-in-little-china-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp-black-vinyl/11857179.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=USD&shippingcountry=US&&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000024495176&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx4GzyNK-3gIVE9VkCh1d4AdMEAQYASABEgIpefD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 minute ago, pmlevine said:

Thanks! I know the repress is going up Wednesday, but I want that black version. This is the best price that I've seen so far.  Much appreciated.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:42 PM, defectiveepitaph said:

Anyone get House on the Edge of the Park? Mine arrived today and has a quick bobbing warp... doesn’t skip but you know how annoying a warp can look. Thinking of asking for a replacement. 

Also... y’all noticing how GOD DAMN TIGHT these sleeves are getting? Especially for the Halloween soundtracks - it’s like wrestling trying to fit the record back into the sleeve.

I almost don't even play my copy of Jaws because it's such a pain in the ass to get back in. Sounds beautiful, but jesus, I spend as much time as Side A just trying to get the damn thing back in.

On 11/1/2018 at 1:22 PM, tetsuodaironman said:

So it turns out that I accidentally bought two Castevania: Symphony of the Night tricolor records when I meant to get one and a Rondo of Blood. Does anyone have an extra Rondo that they would trade for the tricolor CV: Symphony?? lol

If no one has it and you can’t find it I will pay you for the symphony of night one! I was going to grab it but missed out =(.  So please don’t return it! Thank you! 

1 hour ago, MayCauseDeath said:

If no one has it and you can’t find it I will pay you for the symphony of night one! I was going to grab it but missed out =(.  So please don’t return it! Thank you! 

Someone hit me up for a trade a few days ago, but I haven't heard a peep since...We shall see.

3 hours ago, Zeus182 said:

I almost don't even play my copy of Jaws because it's such a pain in the ass to get back in. Sounds beautiful, but jesus, I spend as much time as Side A just trying to get the damn thing back in.

I don't even bother putting my records back in the sleeve, ever. I put them in a MoFi type sleeve after cleaning and place it outside of the cardboard sleeve but inside the plastic outer sleeve. That's the proper way to store records to prevent possible long term ring wear, and you never have to worry about damaging inner sleeves by shoving them into tight pockets. 

40 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

I don't even bother putting my records back in the sleeve, ever. I put them in a MoFi type sleeve after cleaning and place it outside of the cardboard sleeve but inside the plastic outer sleeve. That's the proper way to store records to prevent possible long term ring wear, and you never have to worry about damaging inner sleeves by shoving them into tight pockets. 

This....so much this.

How all my LPs and 7"s are stored.