Jump to content
BuzzersonKillwell

The Mondo Records Thread - Show Posts Anyway?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, pmlevine said:

You can get JP on discogs for $190. Definitely not a $400 record. I just gave one away the other day since I had an extra copy. 

Just because that guy under priced his doesn't negate the last one sold for $400:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Jurassic-Park-12-Mondo-OST-Dilophosaurus-Dino-DNA-Colored-Vinyl/322951989615?hash=item4b3170496f:g:2UoAAOSwbqpT45LM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stl_ben said:

True, but in a forum with people who know about this it aint going to fly. Hell, sell Clue on eBay and buy JP on Discogs. Doubt anyone on here would be Clue for more than $70 if someone posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

I don't know, that eBay buyer is a lunatic. The Discogs seller seems to be more accurately pricing it.

 

The last several that sold on eBay since October:

$400
$110
$94
$120
$101
$120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Anytime we see you here it's always a comment justifying someone flipping something for a ludicrous price. Tsk tsk tsk. Bob Dylan once said the times they are a-changin', but stlben ain't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Anytime we see you here it's always a comment justifying someone flipping something for a ludicrous price. Tsk tsk tsk. Bob Dylan once said the times they are a-changin', but stlben ain't.

Not sure how I am justifing his price just pointing it out.

But I will concur that Sellers always value items at the highest price it has sold for and buyers always value items at the lowest it has sold for....so that for what its worth.

I have a copy of this, wouldn't thinking of moving it for $100, but $400 becomes much more tempting.

[insert T Swift  Haters gonna hate / shake it off GIF]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

After long consideration, I will trade for the Clue vinyl.

All I can offer is the Drive TP, Last of Us TP, JP Dilophosaurus, and a violently-used original copy of Kenny G's Love Ballads IV (1993). One of those items may or may not be a murder weapon that could land you in prison, but that's the risks of the hobby amirite?

This guy F*cks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, casinonightzone said:

Okay d00dz, I've updated my post. Didn't look at recent values. Really only want a Luke Cage on yellow

You can buy it directly from the artist here:

https://flatfileatx.com/collections/matthew-woodson/products/marvels-luke-cage-ost-by-matthew-woodson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, lethalenforcer said:

I don't know, that eBay buyer is a lunatic. The Discogs seller seems to be more accurately pricing it.

 

The last several that sold on eBay since October:

$400
$110
$94
$120
$101
$120

Any normal person with a sense of reality would see these numbers and value the record at around $115-125. If I owned a record store, I'd offer to buy it off someone for $80 and sell it for $110.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Any normal person with a sense of reality would see these numbers and value the record at around $115-125. If I owned a record store, I'd offer to buy it off someone for $80 and sell it for $110.

If you owned a record store....it wouldn't stay in business long.  I can't think of any stores that pay more than 50% of what they would sell an item for.

Not really on point with the thread, just a comment on realistic practices to keep a business going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

If you owned a record store....it wouldn't stay in business long.  I can't think of any stores that pay more than 50% of what they would sell an item for.

Not really on point with the thread, just a comment on realistic practices to keep a business going.

Double Decker Records does this exact thing. They’ve been in business over 20 years. Go check their Instagram and see what people bring in to sell because they know they’ll get a good price and avoid eBay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

If you owned a record store....it wouldn't stay in business long.  I can't think of any stores that pay more than 50% of what they would sell an item for.

Not really on point with the thread, just a comment on realistic practices to keep a business going.

 

17 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Double Decker Records does this exact thing. They’ve been in business over 20 years. Go check their Instagram and see what people bring in to sell because they know they’ll get a good price and avoid eBay. 

I’ve got to go with Ben on this one. If a store is surviving paying more than 50% for their used records, they must be selling a lot of stuff besides records or they’re selling weed out the back door. 

 

Even at 50%, the remaining 50% would be eaten up quickly by taxes, payroll, rent, etc. They’d be lucky to make a few dollars on a $100 record. And used vinyl is usually a record store’s bread and butter, the margin on new vinyl is slim, especially for a small shop that doesn’t have Amoeba-like purchasing power. 

 

This math is generally true for any second-hand shop, like a comic book store or used video game place. I think 1/3 of sale price is a pretty reasonable amount to get from these places, and I’ve seen as low as 5-10%. I guess if you walked in with a Velvet Ubderground acetate you’d have a little more bargaining power but for run of the mill stuff there’s no way a shop can survive paying 50% or more of their retail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

If you owned a record store....it wouldn't stay in business long.  I can't think of any stores that pay more than 50% of what they would sell an item for.

Not really on point with the thread, just a comment on realistic practices to keep a business going.

Markup is relative to the amount of overhead and miscellaneous expenses.  A business with minimal overhead (small staff, low rent expense and utilities, etc...) can effectively run a business with even a 20% ROI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Secular Haze said:

Markup is relative to the amount of overhead and miscellaneous expenses.  A business with minimal overhead (small staff, low rent expense and utilities, etc...) can effectively run a business with even a 20% ROI.

but he isn't saying 20%  ROI because his 20% under value doesn't include of the expensis.

Also not seeing anything DDR page that says they pay such high prices, but good for them if they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

but he isn't saying 20%  ROI because his 20% under value doesn't include of the expensis.

Also not seeing anything DDR page that says they pay such high prices, but good for them if they do.

I'm well aware.  You stated that a business would have a hard time staying above water if they paid more than 50% of the expected selling price for their items.  I'm simply saying that, yes, they can, with all things considered.  

Edited by Secular Haze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm with Ben on this one.  It's definitely not impossible, businesses routinely run well with much smaller margins, but the traditional, brick-and-mortar retail store would have a really hard time with that.  Cool that particular store is apparently making it work, but I wouldn't use it as a model of the way things should work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ogrejoyed said:

Completely unrelated, does anyone here own the Studio Ghibli compilation album? I want some feedback on how it sounds because I think I'm going to break down and finally buy it. Some string quartet band pressed a Studio Ghibli album and I love it, so now I'm wanting the Mondo release.

Mine sounds great. Fully recommend grabbing a copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×