The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

6 hours ago, itsgoodtobefree said:

Yeah, both Silent Hill covers leave a lot to be desired. Also kind of annoying that Silent Hill doesn't have the title on the cover while the second one does. Whatever though, at least Silent Hill 2 on vinyl is finally happening!

To each their own but I feel that the new one fails to even live up to the first one, which compositionally and narratively is pretty brilliant.

You got that moment frozen in time of Harry's crashed Jeep, the moment that started it all. The backcover showing his footprints in ash away from the crash completes the narrative. Then inside it's the final boss. Like, everything about it is an exercise in the series brand of minimalism in regards to advertisements, namely cover art. The art itself is wonderfully done too.

With 2 you have a "protagonist's back turned to the viewer" with Maria's floating face up above him. It does nothing narratively or aesthetically in line with anything about the series. It's like a Hollywood blockbuster or action game cover applied to characters that've never been depicted that way. The art itself isn't exactly bad per-se, it simply doesn't work here nor add anything to it. The back cover is better but it's a typical monster focus shot. Pyramid Head getting gatefold placement is perfect but in comparison to the first's last boss it's just really, really mundane. I mean it LOOKS the part. But it's got no mood or soul in it.

Edited by kylemcauliffe15

9 hours ago, Lugubrious said:

Why isn’t Akira Yamaoka credited as the composer?

Mondo can get gaped for leaving the MAESTRO behind all of the music out of it. But, OF COURSE, this is MY FAVORITE video game OST of all time, so I might get, like, three copies and, also, I am getting the new pressing of the first soundtrack and this will be my first time buying pins too! Gape me!!!

10 hours ago, tetsuodaironman said:

Mondo can get gaped for leaving the MAESTRO behind all of the music out of it. But, OF COURSE, this is MY FAVORITE video game OST of all time, so I might get, like, three copies and, also, I am getting the new pressing of the first soundtrack and this will be my first time buying pins too! Gape me!!!

Take us, Tetsu

17 hours ago, tetsuodaironman said:

I think it's a Konami thing, not a Mondo thing. Similar to them pulling Kojima's name from the cover of MGSV after his departure. They love to be front and center for branding. It's why the entire Konami Kukeiha Club exists I bet.  And I'm assuming most staff has little to no real ownership over the product, especially once you exit the company. 

• 2 weeks later...

If this ain't news to anyone bear with me: when I pre-ordered Silent Hill 2 I picked Mondo's second shipping option which was like, double  the cost of what they call "vinyl shipping" which is just media mail. Their faq says they use media and priority, so I figured at $10 (which is about right for Priority) they would send it that way. I got my shipping confirmation on monday and according to tracking, it's just media mail. Either they messed up, or advertise and charge for two different methods but use media mail no matter what one picks. Media is NOT $10 for a single record.

I messaged them on monday and while Mondo is usually quick to respond it's now wednesday and not a peep. Sure it's $5 overcharge but I still think that's a crummy thing to do. If they're only gonna ship media mail don't even entertain customers with an option that's double cost and still media.

From Mondo's Twitter......

• More

Thanks - does that mean it’s not limited preorders?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

3 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

The guy they're replying to never specified if they meant the jacket or vinyl in general (which could mean the red variant). I don't know why they would have only stocked a thousand if it was a timed thing but stranger things have happened.

• 0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

• End of conversation
  1. New conversation
  2. New conversation