The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

4 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

Last Night In Soho soundtrack 10/22

Last Night In Soho score 10/29

be a lot cooler if they put them

up on the same day so I didn’t have to pay that wild ass media mail price twice…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVd_9PJTgG/?utm_medium=copy_link

The score cover is incredible.

Just replying in case it wasn't common knowledge, but they will absolutely combine orders for you and refund you the shipping amount so you only have to pay it once.

Finally, we had some questions about our Eco Vinyl over the last few weeks. In an effort to do our bit for our carbon footprint, we are making some changes for 2022 (but you may start to see these trickle out in late 2021). First, our retail variants will begin being pressed on "Eco Vinyl". This is a method where the plant uses leftover pellets from other jobs and mixes them all together. It creates completely unique colors and means every single record will be individual. More excitingly for us, it helps us reduce waste and our carbon footprint at the same time.

We’ll also switching to 140 Gram vinyl wherever possible. There are several reasons for this, but the main ones are that it uses less plastic (obviously), but also that the majority of the presses used to this day are still optimized for 140 Gram. The industry pivoted toward 180 Gram for collectability, when vinyl was struggling, and it stuck. But, after chatting with our production partners, we believe that good mastering is the basis for a solid record ... and not the weight of the vinyl it is pressed on. (Some us long-term collectors still have 100 Gram vinyl from the 80's that sounds great!)

Lastly, we’ll be moving away from shrink wrap and switching to plastic poly bags, since it seems that most people throw the single use shrink wrap away, but tend to keep over-bags. We are not saying we will change the world (yet), but we can do our little bit to help. So let us know what you think on Twitter.

https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/mondo-x-death-waltz-10th-anniversary-merch-drop-on-sale-info

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

While I do think that their swap to Eco vinyl is a lot less about "doing their part to change the world" than it is keeping production and the money train a' rollin', you heard is straight from the source – 180 gram is a meme outdated Collectability selling point.

I'm gonna love linking this to people I'm arguing with on Reddit. Not only that point but the fact that most machines are optimized to press a better sounding record at 140g is hilarious.

There was a time where I would almost bet anything that any records I got from Mondo would come with seam splits.  Seems to happen less often now (knock on wood), but if they could just do what they need to do to avoid it all together that would be great.  And yeah, for $9 basic shipping, I don’t think that’s asking too much.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, museummouth said:

Cool that they’ll use Eco vinyl and still charge $35-40 a release and $9 media mail shipping. How these guys have fell. 

The craziest thing is how these guys used to do vinyl as a fun little niche side project when they were releasing Maniac and stuff but now they’re pretty much a record shop that sells some expensive merch like tiki mugs and silk-screened posters on the side…

11 hours ago, unknown pleasures said:

The craziest thing is how these guys used to do vinyl as a fun little niche side project when they were releasing Maniac and stuff but now they’re pretty much a record shop that sells some expensive merch like tiki mugs and silk-screened posters on the side…

giphy-downsized-large.gif

1 hour ago, stl_ben said:

Vinyl is only a small fraction of Mondos branding.  It may be the focus in here, but overall its at best 10-15% of their revenue.

Is it really just a small fraction though? While I get that they focus heavily on other products like posters, board games and even figures, the fact that they decided to create a whole sub brand for their records I think speaks to just how big that part of their business has gotten. 

Although this includes out of print items, they've got nearly 650 items listed on their records page while most other categories are under 200 (not counting posters since for some reason they've omitted out of print items here. I'm sure that number must be very high).  

The film is a fucking masterpiece, I really couldn't stand the trailers after loving the book so much but the film is such a beautiful adaptation, much different from what the trailers are suggesting. Saw it twice already and the imax screening was absolutely mind melting. Zimmer hit it out of the park as well, a Mondo release would be great news.