The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

Got The Deadly Spawn (black) last night, and just finished playing it. 

Sure the price, especially the shipping,  was a little higher than I'd have liked when I placed the order (no need to start a debate on how much Mondo makes here, and no I don't know their licensing arrangement, or their mastering costs or what any of their employees do for a living if this isn't their primary job) but here's why I'm really pleased with this record, and why I've got less issue with that $27 bucks at this current moment than I had originally:

- It sounds phenomenal. It's very obvious when a record was mastered properly or at least when the person approving the tests has some level of standards. Aside from the occasional record store with a listening station and the ability to test your records before buying them, you won't know for sure what you're getting audio quality wise, and even then you really won't know how it will sound on your set up until you actually cue up the record at home. But this delivers, and the imagery the score creates makes me want to see this film now, while I assume the relationship between film and score normally works in the opposite order. 

- Though its incredibly simple and I'll probably never read it again, I love that this includes an acid-trippy biography/story about Michael Perilstein (as well as  the goofy blurb he wrote about the pressing itself). I spent 10-15 minutes admiring the art and reading the liner notes before even playing the record, and to me that's what should be demanded from every pressing. It's part of the "album" experience and what makes records superior to digital releases in many ways. It's why I still enjoy digging for obscure world funk and why I like buying from Light In The Attic and Now Again Records in addition to the newer punk labels that I still support.

- And finally a personal peeve of mine...I'm glad this included a higher quality easy peel sticker. I always try to salvage marketing stickers and reapply them to my plastic sleeves, and this didn't suffer and tearing or peeling. That makes their money on the higher stock well spent. 

Sure, I buy the Fall Out Boy / Midtown / SoCo vinyl pressings too (and will continue to press similar releases for as long as I can), but those are more with the hope that I can show my kids one day the music I liked at their age and spend a few minutes revealing my upbringing by way of a quality record. But today, it's records like The Deadly Spawn that keep the hobby more interesting than simply having the fastest finger on a hottopic.com preorder, though there's nothing wrong with that either.  

Summary: I am glad I bought this record. 

Got The Deadly Spawn (black) last night, and just finished playing it. 

Sure the price, especially the shipping,  was a little higher than I'd have liked when I placed the order (no need to start a debate on how much Mondo makes here, and no I don't know their licensing arrangement, or their mastering costs or what any of their employees do for a living if this isn't their primary job) but here's why I'm really pleased with this record, and why I've got less issue with that $27 bucks at this current moment than I had originally:

- It sounds phenomenal. It's very obvious when a record was mastered properly or at least when the person approving the tests has some level of standards. Aside from the occasional record store with a listening station and the ability to test your records before buying them, you won't know for sure what you're getting audio quality wise, and even then you really won't know how it will sound on your set up until you actually cue up the record at home. But this delivers, and the imagery the score creates makes me want to see this film now, while I assume the relationship between film and score normally works in the opposite order. 

- Though its incredibly simple and I'll probably never read it again, I love that this includes an acid-trippy biography/story about Michael Perilstein (as well as  the goofy blurb he wrote about the pressing itself). I spent 10-15 minutes admiring the art and reading the liner notes before even playing the record, and to me that's what should be demanded from every pressing. It's part of the "album" experience and what makes records superior to digital releases in many ways. It's why I still enjoy digging for obscure world funk and why I like buying from Light In The Attic and Now Again Records in addition to the newer punk labels that I still support.

- And finally a personal peeve of mine...I'm glad this included a higher quality easy peel sticker. I always try to salvage marketing stickers and reapply them to my plastic sleeves, and this didn't suffer and tearing or peeling. That makes their money on the higher stock well spent. 

Sure, I buy the Fall Out Boy / Midtown / SoCo vinyl pressings too (and will continue to press similar releases for as long as I can), but those are more with the hope that I can show my kids one day the music I liked at their age and spend a few minutes revealing my upbringing by way of a quality record. But today, it's records like The Deadly Spawn that keep the hobby more interesting than simply having the fastest finger on a hottopic.com preorder, though there's nothing wrong with that either.  

Summary: I am glad I bought this record. 

I'd be ashamed to admit to my kids that I owned a Fall Out Boy album.  Other than that, I like your little review.  I actually cut the opening with a razor blade and keep the plastic wrap on most of my records.  Obviously gatefold's present an issue but you get my point...

I'd be ashamed to admit to my kids that I owned a Fall Out Boy album.  Other than that, I like your little review.  I actually cut the opening with a razor blade and keep the plastic wrap on most of my records.  Obviously gatefold's present an issue but you get my point...

A lot of people feel the same way you do it seems. My tastes have evolved as I've gotten older, but I'm certainly not ashamed of any music I liked when I was younger nor am I ashamed of my goofy ass hair styles / colors or the small shirts and high socks I wore. It's what I liked at the time and I think there is some value in remembering that. 

Doesn't mean I'm in any rush to embrace them in the same way today, but I'm not burning any photos yet. 

I actually cut the opening with a razor blade and keep the plastic wrap on most of my records.  Obviously gatefold's present an issue but you get my point...

I used to do this too but I've split several jackets thinking the blade was in the pocket when I'd actually stabbed into the board. I'd be a shitty surgeon. 

I used to do this too but I've split several jackets thinking the blade was in the pocket when I'd actually stabbed into the board. I'd be a shitty surgeon. 

I definitely use careful precision (a sharp blade really helps a ton too).  You can also split the sleeve if you dig the blade in too deep.

Speaking of Bleep, has anyone had any experience with ordering from them before? I ordered Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack about a week ago and haven't gotten an update at all. It says their orders usually ship within 1-2 business days and I even messaged them and asked them about it a couple days ago and haven't heard back from them.

Guest deathbydrums

^^^

You're good... don't think they send shipping notification.

Found it funny that they were selling Broadcast's Berberian Sound Studio for a fair bit more than other places when they are a primary distributor for Warp. Btw, shouldn't people from this thread be all over that release too?

^^^

Found it funny that they were selling Broadcast's Berberian Sound Studio for a fair bit more than other places when they are a primary distributor for Warp. Btw, shouldn't people from this thread be all over that release too?

Ah good. Ordered an Aphex Twin album from them and was worried about no update.

^^^

Yeah, I finally heard back from them and they said my order shipped on the 12th. Plus I'm an idiot and didn't realize they were in the UK, so part of that was my bad, haha.

And someone actually made an individual topic for the Berberian Sound Studio soundtrack but I guess most people either missed it or weren't that interested.