The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

Grabbed a splatter.

Still can’t believe it’s finally happening. I actually ended up finding an OG 7” single at the Austin Record Convention in May, so having a brand new copy to compare will be neat. $50 is steep, but not for my all time white whale and one of my all time favorite movies which was a seminal moment for me as a musician. 

Edited by ethanpricington

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Wow pretty surprised seeing so many here went for the splatter.  I went with the black since it seems to fit the whole thing better and is gonna look great with the “Play Tone” center labels.

If they had made the cover look era appropriate and not included a band members gf and the manager then I might have cared about the total overall aesthetic.  The front - I think - of that booklet (white with the 4 band members and the band name) would have been better. Just pretend the whole thing is their album, put a hype sticker on it that points out it’s really the movie soundtrack. Anyways rant over, they didn’t do that so I didn’t feel beholden to buy the black variant.

12 hours ago, dantheriver said:

If they had made the cover look era appropriate and not included a band members gf and the manager then I might have cared about the total overall aesthetic.  The front - I think - of that booklet (white with the 4 band members and the band name) would have been better. Just pretend the whole thing is their album, put a hype sticker on it that points out it’s really the movie soundtrack. Anyways rant over, they didn’t do that so I didn’t feel beholden to buy the black variant.

Totally makes sense.  I guess I was just also surprised because I always see people here complaining about there being too many “ugly splatter” variants.  Just kinda thought people were tired of it

On 9/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, dantheriver said:

Liv Tyler’s character hand claps on the single, so she is kinda but not really on the album.

For real though, not a big fan of the cover and would have preferred something era appropriate, like you mentioned.

Makes me wonder (ha!) if some of the 3-year hold up was an issue with the studio about the cover art. The press release included a fake quote from Tom Hanks’ character so maybe they really wanted to make it look like a Wonders album. I could see the studio having some weird contract stipulation with the cast (or maybe just Hanks since he directed and is the biggest star) that their images have to be included with any media art, whether it’s the movie itself or the soundtrack. Out of all the cast images I’ve seen, the one Mondo chose seemed the most like an actual album cover as opposed to a soundtrack cover. 

17 hours ago, jhulud said:

Experience Vinyl looks to have an exclusive color. Unless that’s the retail variant? 

https://experiencevinyl.com/products/that-thing-you-do-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-w-7-inch-vinyl-lp

The Mondo newsletter only mentioned three color variants (Mondo, ETR, and retail) so I'm guessing we're looking at that. Someone earlier mentioned reading that retail was gonna be red, so that checks out as well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jerry Maguire - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 2XLP

Mondo Music and Vinyl Films are proud to continue their ongoing series with the premiere vinyl release of the soundtrack to Cameron Crowe’s 1996 film JERRY MAGUIRE, with an all-new, remastered filmmaker approved re-issue.

Featuring songs by Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Aimee Mann, Neil Young and more, the soundtrack is available on 2x 180 gram “Show me the money!” translucent green vinyl or 2x 180 gram black vinyl. It also includes a bonus replica mission statement and liner notes by Cameron Crowe.

• 3 months later...