I keep mentioning that there should be a VC local section to this site. Meet up, say "who's going to this concert?", promote local bands/shows, sell stuff that cannot be shipped, and have the answers to all the "I am going to ... for a week. Recommend me some sites" cataloged so that good information doesn't slip through.

Never seems to stick though.

I keep mentioning that there should be a VC local section to this site. Meet up, say "who's going to this concert?", promote local bands/shows, sell stuff that cannot be shipped, and have the answers to all the "I am going to ... for a week. Recommend me some sites" cataloged so that good information doesn't slip through.

Never seems to stick though.

Yes!! Great idea. If we had this maybe some of the Chicago VCers might've actually met up with me when I was there a few weeks ago.

I'm making it stick. Hopefully people will use it. I go to alot of shows and swaps between here and Michigan so I'm always searching for them. Plus my wife and I are new to Chicago and want to get to know people and hit the bars and restaurants. We went to Porkchop last night and loved the food and whiskey and that NOFX was playing.

Yes!! Great idea. If we had this maybe some of the Chicago VCers might've actually met up with me when I was there a few weeks ago.

I'd say let's steal this thread from Chicago but we will get crushed by their numbers.

If you (or anyone else reading) comes down to Detroit sometime I'd take the offer to grab a drink with a VC'er. I don't think I have any reason to visit the thumb in the near future.

I'd say let's steal this thread from Chicago but we will get crushed by their numbers.

If you (or anyone else reading) comes down to Detroit sometime I'd take the offer to grab a drink with a VC'er. I don't think I have any reason to visit the thumb in the near future.

I get down to Detroit probably once a month or so for some reason or another. So yes this should happen. My roommate and I need a show buddy.

I have Gaslight Anthem / Bouncing Souls at the Fillmore on 3/3 and The Queers / Teenage Bottlerocket / Masked Intruder at the Magic Stick on 3/7 on my show calendar. Those are the sure things.

Also, not sure if you are aware of this place but it is my favorite venue. Only get small bands and locals but some of my favorite shows ever have been there (1st Gaslight show, Sundowner).

http://www.smallsbardetroit.com/

Just mentioning cause it doesn't get the promotion of the bigger places in Detroit. Good to check every couple months when show-searching.

I have Gaslight Anthem / Bouncing Souls at the Fillmore on 3/3 and The Queers / Teenage Bottlerocket / Masked Intruder at the Magic Stick on 3/7 on my show calendar. Those are the sure things.

Jealous that Gaslight/Souls tour is not at all on the east coast. I do have the queers/teenage bottlerocket/masked intruder on my show calendar as well.  My brother lives out near Detroit, I visit occasionally. He unfortunately does not enjoy shows as I do. True story he once left a Brand New/Manchester Orchestra/Kevin Devine show I brought him to, to sit at a Dunkin Donuts across the street....after that I questioned whether we were actually related.

Jealous that Gaslight/Souls tour is not at all on the east coast. I do have the queers/teenage bottlerocket/masked intruder on my show calendar as well.  My brother lives out near Detroit, I visit occasionally. He unfortunately does not enjoy shows as I do. True story he once left a Brand New/Manchester Orchestra/Kevin Devine show I brought him to, to sit at a Dunkin Donuts across the street....after that I questioned whether we were actually related.

Was that show at Royal Oak Theatre? I was at that show.

Seems weird but I can understand it too. Concerts seem like they would be fun whether you knew the band or not but in most cases, they are really boring. The only kind of show I would go to blindly would be an all acoustic one. Otherwise, you gotta know the songs.

Was that show at Royal Oak Theatre? I was at that show.

Nope, it was actually in NYC (I live in NJ), this was before my brother moved out there for work.

Seems weird but I can understand it too. Concerts seem like they would be fun whether you knew the band or not but in most cases, they are really boring. The only kind of show I would go to blindly would be an all acoustic one. Otherwise, you gotta know the songs.

I can understand this because I have witnessed the response of various family members/friends when I have dragged them to see bands they have never heard of like that time for my brother or more recently for Built to Spill with my cousin. Me personally, I really enjoy going to shows of bands I've never heard of. I find a lot of new music that way- both good and bad. 

It just sounds like mush. Drums and bass are always too high, can't understand the lyrics.

Definitely been to shows and thought "I think this sounds pretty good, I will investigate more later" but that's about it for me.

A few months back I saw DIIV who I had never hear of at the time open for Japandroids. I could not understand anything at all.

I get that investigating more later. I tend to do that a lot too.

I wore earplugs when I was seeing shows every week a couple years ago because I didn't want to blow out my ear drums. But I didn't think it made the sound any better. Just quieter. Now I usually don't bother because I see shows a couple times a year.

Even if ear plugs help, doesn't change the fact that almost every band on the planet needs to turn down the bass and drums, and turn up the vocals.

Improves sound quality? I got lazy about doing it years ago. Probably a bad move seeing as I already have hearing damage at 26, according to my doctor.  But for improved sound quality...

I think it does, it drowns out the "ting" I call it. It also prevent sound hangovers, I don't know if I'm the only one who gets those but the next morning after shows when you still got a ring in your ears and you feel like you drank, even if you didin't. 

I wore earplugs when I was seeing shows every week a couple years ago because I didn't want to blow out my ear drums. But I didn't think it made the sound any better. Just quieter. Now I usually don't bother because I see shows a couple times a year.

Even if ear plugs help, doesn't change the fact that almost every band on the planet needs to turn down the bass and drums, and turn up the vocals.

You seem to have an overall beef with music lately, just saying.

I definitely think it improves the sound quality of shows. I used to go with out them when I was a teen and then in my early 20s I was worried about hearing loss later on in life since music is such a big part of my life so I picked up a pair of earplugs by etymotic. A the time they were like $20 but it looks like they're cheaper now only about $13 on amazon. I always have them on my keys so I never forget they at home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEET2/

I'd say if you at least interested in them to try them out its been a worth while investment to me. Basically feels like you turned the volume down a bit and filter out a good bit of distortion, it seems to make everything clear. The downside to them is your can really tell who are bad mixers at the shows...

Cause of what I posted in Ry Bread's review thread? Or because I said I don't follow local bands? I still love music. Maybe it's the beginning of the end for me, though. Almost everyone bows out eventually and just listens to what they already know.

Call it a pet peave? If I would go to shows and sometimes the vocals would be too high, sometimes too low, I would accept it as "it's a concert, not a sound studio. Not gonna have perfect mix". But the vocals are always too low in any full band show in my opinion. 90% of the utility in a song is in the lyrics for me. The bass and drums are only there to keep the rhythm and should be kept in the background.

I definitely think it improves the sound quality of shows. I used to go with out them when I was a teen and then in my early 20s I was worried about hearing loss later on in life since music is such a big part of my life so I picked up a pair of earplugs by etymotic. A the time they were like $20 but it looks like they're cheaper now only about $13 on amazon. I always have them on my keys so I never forget they at home.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEET2/

I'd say if you at least interested in them to try them out its been a worth while investment to me. Basically feels like you turned the volume down a bit and filter out a good bit of distortion, it seems to make everything clear. The downside to them is your can really tell who are bad mixers at the shows...

Thanks for posting. I'm considering buying these. Seems like a bit of money for something that small and simple but if they really help, it's worth it.