• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Chicago, I'm heading your way for a wedding Aug 12 - 18. Any suggestions on fancy pants coffee shops? Thinking someplace similar to Blue Bottle/Four Barrel/Sightglass in SF if that helps. Also, any hints on best time to go to Au Cheval (lunch, early evening, etc) I don't mind waiting, dying to try that burger. 

We are staying in Lincoln Park - N Halsted at W Dickens. Any fun bars/restaurants in that immediate area? Other than the wedding our group has dinner reservations at the Girl and the Goat and the Publican. 

Thanks!

Right, before I get slated, I have looked back through this thread and didn't really find much...

It'll be me & my girlfriends first time in Chicago and was wanting to be pointed in the right direction of cool things to do / places to shop / good places to get food / bars etc. 

Already read up a bit and probably going to check out "bric-a-brack" records. Any others that are noteworthy?

We're staying on North Jefferson street next to Fulton park, looks like it's easily within walking distance from the green / pink line. Does anyone know anything about the area?

Anything would be muchly appriciated!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

12647218_10101829299900507_7109749541705

one of my goals this year is to have one house show at my place every single month.

the first one was January 23 and featured Sam Porter (of The Howl), Joe Henderer (of Elway), D.H. Currier (of Cut Teeth), Kyle Geib (of Dog & Wolf), Jason S. Thompson (of The Sky We Scrape, who skyped in all the way from Germany to play a song!), and James Zarembski (of Winter Classic). the show was amazing, as is evidenced here:

the second show is this Saturday, February 13. since that's the day before Valentine's Day, all of the performers for this show are male/female duets. they're going to be Jason Douglass Swearingen and Gillian McGhee (of Turnspit), Hey!Rabbit, Significant You (featuring Geoff Schott of The Please And Thank Yous), and Sam & Megan Edgin. you may know Sam as the bass player from An Aesthetic Anaesthetic, Space Blood, or as the dude who ran Phantom Note Productions in Chicago and booked a million shows at Fireside Bowl, Quenchers, and a shitload of other venues over the past 5 years.

this show is going to rule, and the next two shows i have lined up are also going to rule (those will happen March 26 and April 30, if you want to mark your calendars). the way they work is that the music starts at 4 pm and we make sure everything is over by 7 pm in case anybody has plans back in the city at night that they want to get to. of course, everyone is welcome to stay late and hang out to listen to records or play pinball or drink or whatever.

if you want to come to one, PM me and i'll shoot you the address.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been to Chicago since I toured (briefly) with Bon Jovi. Yeah, that did happen. But I'm coming back 3/31-4/2 and I'm stoked. I have a film playing at The Music Box Theater on 4/1 and am looking to see some sights along the way. Any new record shops to be aware of? Of course I can hit Reckless but in this here vinyl explosion dealy there must be some new and awesome stops for the enthusiast to take in.