Attn: My Hardcore Brethren

Im sure i sound like an "old guy" but i would only go to thic to see the reunion bands for the most part. Most of the newer bands this year i either a) never heard of or b)jave heard of and have no desire sitting through in that type of atmosphere.

I'm 20 and all TIHC had for me was American Nightmare. I stand by your statement.

I consider myself an "old" dude... At least in hardcore years. I'm 31 going on 45.

Anyway. This line up has been great. I will admit I haven't watched all of the opening bands each night, but last night had a block of bands that went Reach The Sky, Biohazard. Killing Time, Bane, Cromags.

Bonkers.

Even cooler seeing kids react to these bands the same way I did when I was 17-18 years old. Stuff like this reminds me how awesome hardcore really is.

Anyone else attend the Power Trip, Foreseen and Build and Destory after party last night? If not, do yourself a favor and check out Power Trip and Foreseen's sets today. More thrash than hardcore, but they killed it at Kung Fu. Also, Build and Destroy filled the Cold World void this year.

Im sure i sound like an "old guy" but i would only go to thic to see the reunion bands for the most part. Most of the newer bands this year i either a) never heard of or b)jave heard of and have no desire sitting through in that type of atmosphere.

It is easier for me to say since I live here, but I try my best to check out a bit of each band before coming out. There are several months to do this. Like all shows, I have actually discovered quite a bit of bands I would otherwise sleep on because of this festival. The reunion bands are definitely icing on the cake, but this festival is more so for the bands out there still working hard to keep this "scene" together.

It is not about the bands playing their 10th reunion show or hanging out with old friends trying to play music again. These bands will grab your attention and make the sell easier, but don't sleep on the young bucks coming out and leaving it all on the stage. Except that Turnstile tribe stage mosh bullshit the fans do.

I agree with you that I would rather catch these bands at a different venue without the massive amount of people, but that really can't be avoided with festivals unless you have multiple sets going on at the same time. Then people get upset when they have to miss something and the smaller bands get even less attention. I think Joe has done a great job with TIHC and booking such a diverse lineup every year and gives everyone their fair chance to be heard.

It is easier for me to say since I live here, but I try my best to check out a bit of each band before coming out. There are several months to do this. Like all shows, I have actually discovered quite a bit of bands I would otherwise sleep on because of this festival. The reunion bands are definitely icing on the cake, but this festival is more so for the bands out there still working hard to keep this "scene" together.

It is not about the bands playing their 10th reunion show or hanging out with old friends trying to play music again. These bands will grab your attention and make the sell easier, but don't sleep on the young bucks coming out and leaving it all on the stage. Except that Turnstile tribe stage mosh bullshit the fans do.

I agree with you that I would rather catch these bands at a different venue without the massive amount of people, but that really can't be avoided with festivals unless you have multiple sets going on at the same time. Then people get upset when they have to miss something and the smaller bands get even less attention. I think Joe has done a great job with TIHC and booking such a diverse lineup every year and gives everyone their fair chance to be heard.

All those points make sense. I guess for me I may just get tired of seeing 15 bands over like 12 hours or whatever it is.  the fact that you cant leave (which makes sense but also annoying) would be tough in that I dont want to just sit on the floor in the back of the venue nor do I want to just deal with people stage diving in my face or throwing fists because they are "moshing" all day either.  I guess my biggest thing is law of numbers and the more people the more idiots.  I remember the dumb shit I did at hardcore shows when i was 16, there just seems more possibility to do those things and to a greater level with that amount of people in attendance.  It was annoying when there was some meat head hardcore kid who tried to toss everyone around, multiply that by 25 and it just wont end well.  Also I think if I lived closer than a 7 hour drive i wold be more inclined to go because it seems the actual cost isint much, but the overhead of getting there and hotel for 3/4 days is killer. 

I was in Philly last year during TIHC seeing Nick Cave and some people who were attending the festival were staying at the same hotel. I got to talking to a few of them being  fan of hardcore music and the conversation was more than frustrating.  I know this was only a few people and is not indicative to all that attend the festival but it left a bad taste in my mouth.  First off the acts they were saying they were doing were that of a 16 year old and they seemed proud of it (based on my conversation they were maybe a year or two younger than me so in their mid 20's)  talking about throwing shit at people trying to hurt them, aiming for people when they staged dived to fuck them up, etc.  Second, for being such "huge fans of hardcore" they knew nothing about the history and the importance of some of the bands performing.  They were all up on the new hip hardcore bands, and they really seemed to know who bad luck 13 were, but when i talked about converge, dropdead, blast, and bands like that who were playing they were just like yeah im not sure who those guys are.  Go ask these bands who you love and most of them will say they are influenced by guys like converge who have been doing it for over 20 years and are staples of the hardcore community and history.  you don't have to like their music but respect them and know them.  

Okay end of old guy rant 2.

All those points make sense. I guess for me I may just get tired of seeing 15 bands over like 12 hours or whatever it is. the fact that you cant leave (which makes sense but also annoying) would be tough in that I dont want to just sit on the floor in the back of the venue nor do I want to just deal with people stage diving in my face or throwing fists because they are "moshing" all day either. I guess my biggest thing is law of numbers and the more people the more idiots. I remember the dumb shit I did at hardcore shows when i was 16, there just seems more possibility to do those things and to a greater level with that amount of people in attendance. It was annoying when there was some meat head hardcore kid who tried to toss everyone around, multiply that by 25 and it just wont end well. Also I think if I lived closer than a 7 hour drive i wold be more inclined to go because it seems the actual cost isint much, but the overhead of getting there and hotel for 3/4 days is killer.

I was in Philly last year during TIHC seeing Nick Cave and some people who were attending the festival were staying at the same hotel. I got to talking to a few of them being fan of hardcore music and the conversation was more than frustrating. I know this was only a few people and is not indicative to all that attend the festival but it left a bad taste in my mouth. First off the acts they were saying they were doing were that of a 16 year old and they seemed proud of it (based on my conversation they were maybe a year or two younger than me so in their mid 20's) talking about throwing shit at people trying to hurt them, aiming for people when they staged dived to fuck them up, etc. Second, for being such "huge fans of hardcore" they knew nothing about the history and the importance of some of the bands performing. They were all up on the new hip hardcore bands, and they really seemed to know who bad luck 13 were, but when i talked about converge, dropdead, blast, and bands like that who were playing they were just like yeah im not sure who those guys are. Go ask these bands who you love and most of them will say they are influenced by guys like converge who have been doing it for over 20 years and are staples of the hardcore community and history. you don't have to like their music but respect them and know them.

Okay end of old guy rant 2.

All valid points too. There are a lot of jerkoffs every year looking to be violent. But a good thing is I think they were allowing re-entry for the past couple of years. Going a day let alone the whole Fest can be incredibly exhausting especially sustaining a black eye or a donkey kick or two.

Not to get all Joyce Manor, but the stage diving pisses me off too so I just stay away from the front unless I feel inclined to hop on the dogpile for gang vocals lol

I feel like all of that is what made me love hardcore in the first place. I'm not about hurting people to just do it, but the danger of a hardcore show is part of the excitement.

Also. You can take a snapshot of any genre of music and find knuckleheads and people who don't know the history. Those people will be gone before long, but a lot of those people are also who make shows fun... Especially at a hardcore show. It would be boring if we all stood at the back with our arms crossed.

I only managed to make it on Friday but it was a great show as always.  Everything stayed on time.  Suicide File was a blast and American Nightmare killed it.  It was so nice to see them play to a crowd like that after seeing them play in front of maybe 200 people at Skate and Surf.  I feel like TIHC as a whole has fewer asshole moshers than a lot of smaller shows.  Considering the number of fans who show up, it pretty much policies itself.  Also, the size of the venue usually allows you to either participate or easily avoid.

I love that there is so much stage diving at TIHC but there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it.  Seemed like there was a lot more of the wrong way on Friday night which was getting on my nerves.  It really isn't about trying to hurt anyone and I wish at times like those I was bigger and could knock one of these assholes in the jaw to teach them a lesson.  

While on the topic of stage diving, there should be a common, unspoken rule that everyone should abide by.  If you don't participate in a thing called PHYSICAL ACTIVITY, then trying it out for the 1st time at a hardcore show by stage diving is pretty fucking dumb.  You're fucking fat, keep your lard ass on the ground.  All you do is hurt people.

Here's  another moshing-related rant.  If you start bleeding get the fuck out of the pit.  You just lost your privilege....sorry, but I don't want your blood all over me or my clothes.  I've been there before - you get a bloody nose or a cut on the face.  You should be respectful enough of other people to take a step back at that point.  I always have,  but maybe I'm the weirdo.

I'd just like to point out that I LOVE that TIHC doesn't have multiple stages.  I love knowing I can see every band that I choose to see no matter what, and that every band has the opportunity to have everyone's attention.  It sets it apart from every other festival.

Friday was awesome.

I dove during suicide file and it was my first stage dive in like 8 years probably. Felt awesome.

Unfortunately, after that I was singing along and a dude dove. His foot kicked my hand and my wedding ring slapped me right above my eye.

As soon as I happened I knew there was going to be blood. Thankfully, it wasn't bad. Bled a bit bc it was on the face but was able to grab some paper towel and get it to stop. MAAAAAAAYBE could have used a single stitch but it's fine.

All round this weekend was a blast. Lots of great sets. Overall everyone was super cool and it was by far one of the best fest I've ever attended. Good job TIHC

I dont know if it is "frowned upon" but if someone is obviously leading with their feet or pushing them down as they stage dive and i am near them i tend to grab them by the torso and rip them down. If they slam of the ground they do. Kind of the "hey dont fucking do that response". I also will lightly put down people who arent being dicks but are stage diving every 12 seconds. If you get up on stage and jump off like 6 times in a songs its getting excessive. Especially when you arent jumping in all different areas. You can just see everyone get super frustrated the same guy is jumping.

I dont know if it is "frowned upon" but if someone is obviously leading with their feet or pushing them down as they stage dive and i am near them i tend to grab them by the torso and rip them down. If they slam of the ground they do. Kind of the "hey dont fucking do that response". I also will lightly put down people who arent being dicks but are stage diving every 12 seconds. If you get up on stage and jump off like 6 times in a songs its getting excessive. Especially when you arent jumping in all different areas. You can just see everyone get super frustrated the same guy is jumping.

Naysayer sort of touched on this during their set in 2012, more specifically people not catching people diving and people who go feet first.

https://vimeo.com/47938462 @10:30 in the video.

I think they quite correct that people have stopped doing it because people arent respecting it. I tend to stand back and make a gap because id prefer to not get kicked in the face by some douchebag who is either a) being a dick or b ) doesnt know the proper way of stage diving. The "art of stage diving" can be alot of fun. It just seems fewer and fewer people are doing it correctly.

I honestly feel like doing a flip can at times be just as dangerous as leading with your feet. You are disoriented and have no idea where your feet will land and dont control the force of it either. Had a guy break my nose from one of these. Also being a big boy and having a big people job i cant really afford to come in with black eyes and my face all jacked up from a show.

Honestly I think that's the only thing that annoys me at shows and even then it's not the end of the world. I don't go to shows and stand around looking for stuff people do that I can bitch about or say annoys me like most people my age at hardcore shows. When I go to shows I just want to be up front and be part of pile ons or just singing along plain and simple, so if I get hurt in the process that's on me for being there.

Anyone else hear about what went down with Tom Alderson (Crosscheck, Drown), Ian Adams (Heavy Chains), Karebear (Suburban Scum?

https://twitter.com/jordanxmckinney/status/627561952810635264

I had a hard time reading through that. No one in the world deserves that. Absolutely fucking horrid. 

Heavy Chains is off the Life and Death tour and Suburban Scum is no longer playing the Back To School Jam, but that isn't enough. Tom deserves justice. Fuck both of those bands and fuck you if you continue to support them. Here's to hoping Tom makes a full and speedy recovery.