VC Fantasy Hockey League

Whats the deal with the keeper rule and when are they due?

Going forward w/ the new rule. Keepers are due by the end of the month, PM them to Mike once you set them.

The following players cannot be kept

Joe Pavelski (SJ - C,LW)

Alex Ovechkin (Was - LW,RW)

Tyler Seguin (Dal - C,RW)

Claude Giroux (Phi - C,RW)

Anze Kopitar (LA - C)

Patrick Kane (Chi - C,RW)

Sidney Crosby (Pit - C)

Corey Perry (Anh - RW)

John Tavares (NYI - C)

Evgeni Malkin (Pit - C,RW)

Max Pacioretty (Mon - LW)

Steven Stamkos (TB - C)

P.K. Subban (Mon - D)

Erik Karlsson (Ott - D)

Ben Bishop (TB - G)

Nicklas Backstrom (Was - C)

Chris Kunitz (Pit - LW)

Jonathan Toews (Chi - C)

Drew Doughty (LA - D)

Jamie Benn (Dal - LW)

Patrick Sharp (Dal - C,LW)

Ryan Getzlaf (Anh - C)

Phil Kessel (Pit - RW)

Any other player kept that was drafted will be drafted 2 rounds higher than they were picked, you can see your final roster w/ draft round here http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/776/lastseason

Example: Quick was picked in the 4th round, if kept he will count as a 2nd round pick.

Non drafted keepers will be assigned as a 12th round pick.

Roster protection (Keepers)

Each keeper will have a particular draft pick associated with him. This pick will thus not be used by the owning team during the draft. Said draft pick will be determined as follows:

- If the player was drafted/kept the previous year, the associated draft pick shall be the round he was drafted in minus two. A player selected in the 10th round of the prior draft may be kept for the 8th round pick in the current draft. Each year, should that player be kept (either by original owner or by trade), they would subtract two from their kept round.

- If according to the proceeding rules, a player would have a zero or negative round associated with him, said player cannot be kept an additional year. For example, no players selected in the first two rounds would be able to be kept, as applying these rules would give a round value of ­1 or 0. No one is impressed that you knew to draft Mike Trout Sidney Crosby in the first round.

- If a player was picked up as a free agent at any point during the season, he will have an associated draft pick value of round 15 (i.e. as if he had originally been drafted in the 15th round). This is to encourage good drafting in the second half of the draft.

- If multiple players acquired as a free agent at any point during the season and designated as keepers, these shall be given round values starting at 15 with the longest rostered player and moving downwards (i.e. towards round 30)

If according to the proceeding rules, two players would have the same associated pick assigned to them, the player with the fewer amount of years accrued as a keeper shall be given a value of the subsequent round (i.e. Round 16 for a player with fewer years accrued and round 15 for the other player). If both players have the same amount of years accrued, the commissioner shall flip a coin to determine the status.

If an owner wishes to keep a player whose associated draft pick has been traded away, the draft pick associated with the player shall be shifted one round earlier than it otherwise would have been. If this new round conflicts with a separate keeper pick, all keeper picks shall be moved up a round until they reach a point such that no conflict occurs.

Players traded or claimed on waivers maintain the same keeper status as if they had remained rostered by the original team.

Question - I read back a bit in this thread and saw that there were a few trades involving picks and such. Am I correct to assume that the draft order will be based on standings from last year? How do I know which picks might have been traded away/swapped? 

Sent my keeper picks to Mike. I haven't played in a keeper league, so I'm curious to see how this goes.

Question - I read back a bit in this thread and saw that there were a few trades involving picks and such. Am I correct to assume that the draft order will be based on standings from last year? How do I know which picks might have been traded away/swapped? 

Sent my keeper picks to Mike. I haven't played in a keeper league, so I'm curious to see how this goes.

You can see all the trades your "team" made last season here http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/archive/nhl/2014/263/transactions?mid=8&filter=trade

Also this shows how picks per round each team will have http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/hockey/776/showtradedpicks