Dikembe - Chicago Bowls 7" (PO Soon)

FUCK YES

"In perhaps the worst kept secret within the fake music industry, Tiny Engines will release Dikembe's highly controversial debut release, Chicago Bowls, on vinyl for the very first time. Banned pretty much everywhere (other than the internet), Bowls, as the "kids" call it, saw the tongue and cheek celebration of two things people either love or hate, the Chicago Bulls and weed. Oh, and Freaks And Geeks too.

Chicago Bowls saw an original digital release of 4/20/11. Tiny Engines will release a remastered version of the 4-song EP on 7" vinyl (rolling papers not included) in the Spring of 2013, 4/20/13 to be exact (and clever). Pre-orders to come soon. Get spliffed!

It was surprising to virtually no one - save for Dikembe itself - that Chicago Bowls, in all its anthemic, adrenalized indie-cum-emo / punk greatness, took the underground by storm in 2011. The ironic, pun-laden ode to weed and arguably (and less ironically) the greatest (?) championship squad in NBA history was a breath of fresh air ... playful, charismatic and downright infectious without emitting an ounce of pretension. Four revelatory cuts of undeniable, high energy DIY rock 'n' roll, Chicago Bowls cajoled the listener to laugh along with song titles such as "Scottie Spliffen" and "Michael Jordank." There was no doubt that Dikembe's playful nature was an integral part of its singular sound.

Broad Shoulders followed up Bowls to much acclaim, and while the first pressing of vinyl has sold out, the record is currently available digitally from Tiny EnginesBandcampiTunes and other digital services. A second pressing of the 12-inch is now in production and pre-orders will launch in a matter of weeks. Stay tuned for more details.

Also, Dikembe is currently writing for the follow-up release to Broad Shoulders and the band expects to start recording soon for a tentative Summer or Fall release on Tiny Engines. Ride or die!"

http://tinyengines.limitedrun.com/news/posts/1947-dikembe-chicago-bowls-7-to-be-released-on-tiny-engines

I'm really curious about the lack of use on the Freaks and Geeks. I'd think under Fair Use Doctrine it could have been argued as a Transformative Use of the material. It was by no means gratuitous in length and it complimented an original work in a manner that made it an original work. Further, there was no way for the rights holders of Freaks and Geeks to have claimed your use of those two clips could in any way have harmed the value of their product. To the contrary I imagine it drew more to their series who weren't previously aware if anything. 

I imagine you erred on the side of safety but this has become a bit of a specialty of mine so I'm kind of curious. Chuck, you have my email (david cassidy) from some purchases. If you want to PM with me I'd be interested as I imagine you might have something to teach me. I'm in no way trying to question your decision as opposed to gaining a bit of insight that might help me professionally down the line. Or I might turn you on to a couple of great Pro-Bono attorneys that can assist you down the line with similar matters. 

Either way, hope things are well. You know I've been looking forward to this one.