Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

people are going to give you shit because no one around here would ever buy a record and leave it sealed. wait, i mean no one would ever admit to keeping a record sealed.

when you collect things, there is nothing wrong with having certain ones that are deemed "untouchable".

legend has it, keeping the shrink wrap on a record could cause damage. i've never experienced it, but it seems to have a history of happening. so take that for what it's worth.

But to answer your question: records contain music.  You can't access that music if it never touches your turntable.  Keeping records sealed allows you to flip them for premium prices down the road, and that's about it.  I have a few extra variants of records that I've had no need to open over the years, and I can assure you that they're in tip-top condition.  Maybe 1970's shrink-wrap isn't as forgiving as modern wrap?  I have no idea, but nothing appears to be warped or bent, remotely.  And even if it was, the clown who's going to someday pay $400 for it won't open it anyway.

So, anthemforadoomed.  The question, I suppose, boils down to what you want to do with your record.  If you're looking to get maximum enjoyment out of your purchase, then you should obviously open, appreciate, and care for the record and its packaging.  If you're looking to make an investment or profit, then you should leave it sealed.  And kindly piss off.

from a non judgmental stance

shrinkwrap plastic is really cheap, and it will oxidize over time.. go look at cheap plastic sleeves on old baseball cards, or comic bags.. the shit turns yellow and looks like hell. It also has the possibility of shrinking and warping the cover or record itself. Its up to you.. ut you're probably better off opening it and rebagging it for the long run.

I don't know if this thread has already been made, but I did look!

Is keeping a record sealed worth it? Does the shrink wrap really warp the vinyl or the corners? I have a couple albums that are fairly/ really expensive that are still sealed and I don't know if it makes sense to open it for its own protection or leave it sealed for its own protection. I've only been collecting for a little while, and everyone I ask has a different opinion.

Is keeping a record sealed worth it?  Absolutely.  I would never, under any circumstances, recommend opening your records.  That is just asking for trouble.  The next thing you know you'll find yourself thinking about actually playing the record, which we all know will inevitably damage said record.  No need to start down that path: keep them sealed!

Just a question to all.

Why is it okay to look down upon record flipping but it's acceptable to sell/purchase rare, used records at a premium (i.e., something like The Alchemy Index which originally sold for much less than it is being sold for now in the secondary market). We constantly see records selling for a premium on this very forum, and it seems like most people are okay with it and even purchase these records.

Therefore, is it the intent of the buyer that sets these situations apart? If someone listens to a record and then sells it for a premium, is it okay even though you're selling for a higher price than you paid in either scenario?

It just seems hypocritical to me when people are fine with selling/buying a record like Jimmy Eat World's Futures ​for an exorbitant amount and are okay with it, but if it was sealed and in better condition, people would condemn this person and accuse them of flipping it.

Just a question to all.

Why is it okay to look down upon record flipping but it's acceptable to sell/purchase rare, used records at a premium (i.e., something like The Alchemy Index which originally sold for much less than it is being sold for now in the secondary market). We constantly see records selling for a premium on this very forum, and it seems like most people are okay with it and even purchase these records.

Therefore, is it the intent of the buyer that sets these situations apart? If someone listens to a record and then sells it for a premium, is it okay even though you're selling for a higher price than you paid in either scenario?

It just seems hypocritical to me when people are fine with selling/buying a record like Jimmy Eat World's Futures ​for an exorbitant amount and are okay with it, but if it was sealed and in better condition, people would condemn this person and accuse them of flipping it.

Buying something that is in high demand with the expectation of selling it in a short time is a shitty thing to do. It is so shitty that the government has rules against it, capital gains tax. I guess I should report everyone who flips a record to the IRS for tax evasion.

Buying something that is in high demand with the expectation of selling it in a short time is a shitty thing to do. It is so shitty that the government has rules against it, capital gains tax. I guess I should report everyone who flips a record to the IRS for tax evasion.

But what about those people that buy a record for $20 with no initial intention to sell it, listen to it, and then sell it for $100? It's seems like most people are fine with this. How is this okay, but flipping is not okay if the result is essentially the same? It seems like both of them should be condemnable.