Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

did anyone ever bring up the fact that it's not really that hard to re-shrink wrap stuff?  blockbuster use to do it with re sale items back in the day.  a little plastic wrap, a little heat, wha-la, shrink wrapped.

This is why I reshrink wrap a record after every listen. Each time I go back to put it on is like the first.

If the sole purpose of owning this record is to resell it, then keep it sealed.

Otherwise unseal it. Sealed records are trouble. You can sell it, but have no idea if its warped or not, then poof, you lose the money.

I would think if you sold a sealed record and the buyer opened it up and it turned out to be warped, the seller shouldnt be held responsible?

I would think if you sold a sealed record and the buyer opened it up and it turned out to be warped, the seller shouldnt be held responsible?

I don't know they are still responsible for the record.  what if the record is cracked or what if they sold it as a certain color and it turned out not to be that color?  If it is warped it probably wasn't taken care of very well so it is still the sellers fault.

I don't know they are still responsible for the record. what if the record is cracked or what if they sold it as a certain color and it turned out not to be that color? If it is warped it probably wasn't taken care of very well so it is still the sellers fault.

I bought a sealed copy of Unplugged in New York that was supposed to be white. Opened it, and it was black. Went back and forth with the seller saying things like "it's worthless to me now" and "it's still a first pressing even though its black." At the end of the day I kept it.

I open sealed records all the time. It's the best.

Contrarily, I bought a sealed record off ebay recently, and before I got around to opening it, the seller warned me it might be warped (he sold five things, all were warped). I guess he had someone who also bought his stuff complained and give him negative feedback so he was being overly nice. Sure enough, I open this and it looks like a bowl. He refunded me and let me keep the bowl. It's warped so bad, it skips when plays because the arm jumps.

TL; DR: just depends if the seller is generous. 

Contrarily, I bought a sealed record off ebay recently, and before I got around to opening it, the seller warned me it might be warped (he sold five things, all were warped). I guess he had someone who also bought his stuff complained and give him negative feedback so he was being overly nice. Sure enough, I open this and it looks like a bowl. He refunded me and let me keep the bowl. It's warped so bad, it skips when plays because the arm jumps.

TL; DR: just depends if the seller is generous. 

Was it a Hum record ;) ? I heard they have ways of unwarping those these days.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm pretty late on this topic. Reading some of this is starting to worry me now. I have purchased some rare sealed vinyl many years ago from ebay, which I've spent $100's on each one. Extremely rare variants, and kept them sealed in storage to this day. Is the tight shrink wrap honestly going to stick to and damage the cover, and warp the record itself? They are all stored in cardboard mailers tightly against each other in moving boxes and plastic storage totes. Should I open them up ASAP??

If they're sealed how to you know that there the rare variants you think they are?

I purchased them from top rated sellers with 100% feedback. I'm sure the majority of their buyers open them up to verify it's the actual variant. Do you believe after many years of being sealed, it can cause damage to the vinyl? 

If it's an early Misfits record, then yes, it is worth it:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=misfits+die+purple+sealed&x=0&y=0

If not, you do risk wear from the shrinkwrap, but I've purchased sealed records that were 20 years old and their corners were fine.

It all depends upon your main reasons for purchasing the record. I'd like to get a sealed copy of my favorite album (it's my avatar image). 3000 were pressed in 1997. I actually bought a sealed one last year, but opened it to replace the used copy I purchased.

If it's an early Misfits record, then yes, it is worth it:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=misfits+die+purple+sealed&x=0&y=0

If not, you do risk wear from the shrinkwrap, but I've purchased sealed records that were 20 years old and their corners were fine.

It all depends upon your main reasons for purchasing the record. I'd like to get a sealed copy of my favorite album (it's my avatar image). 3000 were pressed in 1997. I actually bought a sealed one last year, but opened it to replace the used copy I purchased.

This is why before I sell any of my records I take the record out and replace it with a Linda Rondstadt record.  Then I take it to work and shrink wrap it.

Seriously I've wanted to try and track down some Deja sleeves (or an equally ridiculous release) and do that to fuck with the crazy kids spending $400 on a record.

I always remove the outer shrink wrap from new records, then use my laminator to encase the entire release - vinyl and all - to ensure it stays in prestine condition.

I then use Lysol on an annual basis on each record to keep the laminate shiny and lemony fresh.

Recently, I've begun applying a small expiration date tag to each release's top-right corner so I know when said record will spoil and need to be discarded.

I highly recommend this ritual for any truly serious vinyl enthusiast.

I too have had worries about selling sealed LP's.   Non-gatefold single LP's are usually not an issue but a 2x LP gatefold can sometimes be a problem (the Japandroids - Celebration Rock & Melvins - Nude With Boots are some examples).  

Here is what I add to my ebay listings to any gatefold LP that might have an issue:

[sEALED LP’S] Important information on purchasing limited, sealed LP’s from me.  I am not responsible for manufacturer issues including warped vinyl, wrongly labeled colors or audio issues on the vinyl records I sell.  I am not a record manufacturer, label or high volume reseller but only a collector who will occasionally sell records.  Almost always I am selling my only copy.  Therefore, I must set additional limits on returning sealed LP’s.  After paying for your record I will open and verify any color or condition a buyer requests BEFORE sending the LP.  If you receive a SEALED LP and think there will be any condition issue I will give a FULL REFUND and pay for RETURN SHIPPING as long as the item is still factory sealed.   But if you open a sealed LP and find a MANUFACTURING ISSUE unacceptable, a return will only be accepted with a 20% restocking fee and return shipping must be paid by the buyer.   Bottom Line:  All SEALED LP’s must be returned in the same condition to receive full refund and return shipping.  Do not purchase a sealed record from me unless you will accept this additional condition.