Christian Metalcore.

jhook

I grew up in a christian home, it wasn't very strict but I wasn't allowed to listen to f-bombs at an early age. My dad got me into christian metal and metalcore at a very young age. At like 5-6 years old I was listening to Tourniquet and loving it. I don't think it's lame, just different. Havent listened to or followed the scene in years and years though. 

That video is kind of wierd, I had no idea that shit went down at shows. Never seen anything like it.

The only Christian band that ever matters or will ever matter is Five Iron Frenzy.

Depends on how you want to define "Christian Band". Brian from Gaslight Anthem is an outspoken christian and it shows through in his lyrics, but they don't do things like hold prayer ceremonies on stage.

GA definitely matters if they count as a Christian Band.

(Usually) bands of Christians > Christian Bands

So much this. Also that video is of Sleeping Giant. They are known to be some of the most outspoken of all Christian bands. 

The whole label of "christian bands" never really sat with me. Every band sends a message about their views of certain things.

So much this. Also that video is of Sleeping Giant. They are known to be some of the most outspoken of all Christian bands. 

The whole label of "christian bands" never really sat with me. Every band sends a message about their views of certain things.

I got to know SG really well after I got to put out Kingdom Days... and we've never talked about anything religion based. But stage wise and media wise thats pretty much all they do. I think them and For Today and a few others see it as having a platform to either bring something meaningful to the table or bring nonsense like most bands alot of times. I don't see it as being pushy or anything especially with those 2 bands because you listen to 1 song and you know what you're getting into. Like you said, Its just a message like any other band has. I don't really dont hate killing an animal or eating meat but I love Strike Anywhere and Anti Flag.

I think a big difference between a "Christian Band" and a "Band of Christians" is mainly in the lyrics.  Like, if you talking about praying and Jesus directly in your lyrics while "bands of Christians" just talk about generally being a good human being and stuff.  It also depends on if they pray at concerts and between song banter is about Jesus.

I think the big difference for me is that I feel like most Christian bands make me feel like they're trying to stuff their religion down my throat, while "bands of Christians" do not.  And ultimately, that helps me decide whether or not I can like a "Christian" band or not.

For example: I like Westbound Train and they have some references to Chritianity in many of their songs (Salvation and Lift my Voice up Loud come to mind).  Bands like Five Iron Frenzy directly talk Jesus in their lyrics.  Pretty simple.  Also, Five Iron Frenzy is about the most Jesus I can take out of a band.  I can't seriously listen to bands like the O.C. Supertones and some other Christian bands I used to like anymore without feeling like they're trying to force their religion on me.

The thing with me is that religion has absolutely no place in punk or hardcore. No place at all.

I've heard this a lot and it honestly does not make sense.  Punk/hardcore music is about being brutally honest and true to yourself and usually manifests itself as a subculture/counter-culture.  You can apply that mantra to nearly any lifestyle choice.

In the case of "christian" punk or hardcore, they are often actually counter-culture to mainstream christianity.  It's kinda a vegetarian vs vegan thing (closes analogy I could think of...).

One of the bands I was really into as a teenager was a christian post-hardcore band called Project 86, and one album in particular where they took a very vocal stance against organized religion (Truthless Heroes).  They had lyrics that you might find on any secular hardcore band speaking out against such things:

Big business ain’t easy

I’m sure you’d agree

Especially when the product is eternity

To stay one step ahead we must achieve

And turn this holy temple into a factory

Is there anywhere you can run

To hide from these thieves?

Cause eternity’s on sale today for a fee

Faith is buying me away

Buying me a way

To convert the masses into little servants

Faith is buying me away

Buying me a way

Buying me into your soul

Our sanctuary of this high-rise

Our steeples our billboards

Our slogans our converts

Oh don’t forget to buy this T-shirt as you leave 

And open up the offering box and give until it hurts

Show me an open heart and we’ll steal it away

Cause eternity’s on up for sale for a small fee today

This altar is a stage 

Our sponsor must be paid

And maybe we'll even make the front page

To play devil's advocate, as discussed, there are bands that cross the line and become offensive.  But honestly there are punk bands that are pro-vegetarian or whatever that get just as pushy and offensive about their platform.

In the end it doesn't matter what your platform is, be it a religion or a lifestyle choice, or that Arnold Schwarzenegger is awesome, just be respectful of the fact that not everyone shares your viewpoint.

EDIT:  If you're going to argue that religion can't be a platform in a punk or hardcore band then you'd have to say the same about straight edge and the like... and I wouldn't want to tell that scene to fuck off, those are a bunch of assholes I wouldn't want to get into a fight with.

This thread reminded me of an interview with Dan Yemin. 

What don"t you like about Christian Hardcore?
I think this is more like a Paint it Black question. I mean Lifetime doesn't have that kind of agenda. I mean I'll answer it, but I"d rather it not be the focus of the interview. I think that if someone feels like they need or want an organized framework for their spirituality, that's cool. But I think in this current social, political climate, it would be a good idea for them to be really deliberate about distancing themselves from people that are trying to tell women what they can do with their body, or trying to tell gay people they shouldn't be able to adopt children; that stuff is bullshit. I know Christianity is not really about that, but orthodox Christianity in this country, and in this day and age is about that, and if you are going to call yourself a Christian band, then at least have the courage in your convictions to say, "We are not about that stuff. We are about hating the sin, but loving the sinner. We're about turning the other cheek. We are about treating your neighbor as you would treat yourself." Cool. That is awesome stuff; the good stuff about religion. But all the telling other people how to live their lives is the bad stuff about religion, and this my beef. I have yet to hear a Christian hardcore band take that critical stance.