Christian Metalcore.

jhook

The thing with me is that religion has absolutely no place in punk or hardcore. No place at all.

i kinda disagree with this.  i mean sure that video fucked me up but like lebowski said you can incorporate it in the lyrics and not have a big deal on the stage.

i mean i grew up jewish but listened to bands that were so called christian ( tooth and nail ) from ghoti hook to innermeans. 

i should also say that when i listen to music i am more musically driven than lyrically.   i can have a band sing i fucked you in the ass over and over, but if the music is good i can dig it.

I have a lot of thoughts on this matter, and here is my best attempt to try to express some of those in a somewhat coherent way...

Daegor and hobohunter made the best points in this thread. 

I listen to a lot of bands who I would say most definitely have Christian lyrical content, be it more explicit (i.e. As Cities Burn, mewithoutYou) or more of a subtle influence (Brand New, Manchester Orchestra).

I guess for me it really just comes down to whether a band is writing music because they're passionate about that music, or if they just play music so they have a vehicle to deliver their message (Sleeping Giant, For Today, etc. etc.). While I understand where you're coming from with the "Christianity doesn't belong in punk/hardcore scene" sentiment, I think it's missing the mark. Punk and hardcore isn't (or, ideally shouldn't) be about exclusivity.

tl;dr –  daegor hit the nail quite squarely on the head with everything he said. I know people (and bands, for that matter) who would call themselves a christian who are much more radical, and counter-cultural than most people.

This isn't exactly in line with the thread, but does anyone have any secular references that present evidence against the existence of Jesus.

I remember in "Religulous" there is a scene something along the lines of someone saying to Bill Maher "Jesus is a proven historical figure" and he replies "no one has ever proven he even existed". 

Just wondering what is out there besides the bible that can be used as a record of Jesus's existence. I'm not even sure where to look. I don't trust the History Channel's treatment of religious matters.

Yes and no, there is no 100% conclusive evidence to say that he existed as a man, however, there are other figures with less evidence in support of their existence that we don't question.

I think it's fairly same to assume he existed​, it's the details of that existence that are questionable.

Also, I love Religulous, so good.

I'm not looking for conclusive evidence. I am looking for any evidence outside of the bible that leads me to believe he existed. Some kind of Roman military accounts maybe? Outside the bible, what is the earliest mention of him recorded by a political leader?

It's just that I have taken it as a given for so long (history channel, classes, just the general consensus on him) that I don't even know why I have taken it as a given.

I'm not looking for conclusive evidence. I am looking for any evidence outside of the bible that leads me to believe he existed. Some kind of Roman military accounts maybe?

there is none, but if you want to read more stories about jesus you can always pick up a mormon bible. it's probably just as accurate as the christian one.

I'm not looking for conclusive evidence. I am looking for any evidence outside of the bible that leads me to believe he existed. Some kind of Roman military accounts maybe? Outside the bible, what is the earliest mention of him recorded by a political leader?

It's just that I have taken it as a given for so long (history channel, classes, just the general consensus on him) that I don't even know why I have taken it as a given.

Yeah, I've never cared enough to look

you hear the shit this dude actually says?

his twitter is nuts.

"No such thing as a gay Christian, the same as there is no such thing as a Christian who loves his sin."

"Don't be deceived, homosexuality is a sin. This sin with all other sins is what Jesus died for. He conquered so that we would be free."

"60,000,000 aborted babies. 18 dead children in Conn. 20 injured children by knifeman in China. See the strategy? Preach the gospel."

nah, it's cool though. The music rulez.

fuck that guy.

Religlious finally shook me out of belief. I finally went "Yeah this is bullshit" and have been happy with my choice. 

When I went and saw the film there were horrid wins blowing and a giant christian protest outside the theater. kind of awesome. 

knowing that the movie converted even one person makes me so happy.

humanity will inevitably become smart enough to where everyone on the planet embraces this fact.

if anything, it would make politics a hell of a lot easier.