Mars Hill Music/Tooth and Nail

I'm sure I'll just primarily get flamed for caring about worship music, the christian church, and/or Mars Hill in particular since it's so "anti-punk" according to these boards. But I thought I'd post anyway as I found this to be an interesting turn of events.

http://marshill.com/2013/01/15/mars-hill-music-is-partnering-with-tooth-nail

Guess this means we have to deal with either not getting Dustin's newest solo worship album on vinyl or it's just going to be a total screw up like the ACB albums is it ever gets pressed.

I am bummed that I wont able to jam these tunes on vinyl while I have my friends over for our weekly prayer group where we pray for the deaths of all homosexuals and for the closing of all planned parenthoods.

okay, okay. i disagree with the church on a lot of things, but if you actually think a majority of churches believes these things, you're crazy.

I am bummed that I wont able to jam these tunes on vinyl while I have my friends over for our weekly prayer group where we pray for the deaths of all homosexuals and for the closing of all planned parenthoods.

Come on man, stereotyping isn't cool.  Not every muslim is going to blow up a plane, not every christian hates gays or against woman's rights.

On topic, I couldn't care less about mars hill or dustin's worship music.  I love me some Thrice, but I already don't like his more preachy/overtly christian songs, I couldn't handle a full on worship album.

Ignorance about Christianity runs rampant and it's expected that we'll all be reminded of this from time to time.  I just feel bad for you that this is your view of it.  

On topic- I'm interested in seeing how this partnership works out.  It makes sense this would happen given Mars Hill has a former T&N employee working for them now...should be good.

Come on man, stereotyping isn't cool.  Not every muslim is going to blow up a plane, not every christian hates gays or against woman's rights.

On topic, I couldn't care less about mars hill or dustin's worship music.  I love me some Thrice, but I already don't like his more preachy/overtly christian songs, I couldn't handle a full on worship album.

It's coming.  And I'm interested in it...would you check it out if the music was good?

Watch the HBO Documentary 12th and Delaware. Its about our small little city. A heap of churches go out an protest and confront people at a local abortion clinic EVERY single day. Quit their jobs. My friend, and my Co Worship Director yelled at them on camera. Most people with a brain can see that what they are doing is wrong. Not all churches believe these things. Not all churches are about hate. Don't put a whole group of people in a box because of a label and a crappy history. My church is a Biker church. Quite the opposite of church in the whole spectrum of things. I've been so many places in this country. These "Westboro" type of people are an extremely small number. Its funny that you fight what you believe to be Hate with more Hate. If you don't like it, get up and do something about it and stop complaining on forums.

All religion has no place in punk. Let me give more examples using other religions. I am bummed that I can't jam these records while explaining to a set of parents that the priest who molested there child has been molesting children for years but has been moved around because "god" will make him better. I am bummed I can't jam this record while I watch someone die because medical treatment was not given to them because "god" will make them better. I am bummed I can't watch this while looking at photos of every innocent person that has been killed in the name of "god". I am bummed I can't jam this record while a same sex couple is denied benefits and rights because of "god" not allowing them to get married.

All religion has no place in punk. Let me give more examples using other religions. I am bummed that I can't jam these records while explaining to a set of parents that the priest who molested there child has been molesting children for years but has been moved around because "god" will make him better. I am bummed I can't jam this record while I watch someone die because medical treatment was not given to them because "god" will make them better. I am bummed I can't watch this while looking at photos of every innocent person that has been killed in the name of "god". I am bummed I can't jam this record while a same sex couple is denied benefits and rights because of "god" not allowing them to get married.

A) Nothing in this thread is punk, and we've already discussed that point in another thread.

B) Expanding your stereotypes to other religions makes it no less offensive.  Everyone deserves respect regardless of their believe system.  And no one person is representative of their belief system or the stereotypes attached to them.

A) Nothing in this thread is punk, and we've already discussed that point in another thread.

B) Expanding your stereotypes to other religions makes it no less offensive.  Everyone deserves respect regardless of their believe system.  And no one person is representative of their belief system or the stereotypes attached to them.

um

I'm sure I'll just primarily get flamed for caring about worship music, the christian church, and/or Mars Hill in particular since it's so "anti-punk" according to these boards. But I thought I'd post anyway as I found this to be an interesting turn of events.

I really wish you'd respond to the reasonable response Element101 replied to you with.  You're avoiding the fact that you're saying all Christianity is about immoral nutjobs when you know that's not true.  C'mon.

Thanks for being respectful daegor and for pointing out that it was clearly meant to be a joke and keep this thread from turning into jhook's personal rant against religion like the other thread. Guess I should have known people will bash religion wherever they can just because they can.

And jhook i don't know why you keep on bringing up variants, I just want to have the music on my preferred format of listening to, I don't need it on a bunch of colorways, a simple pressing on black is enough. Plus, I didn't start the thread just so you can bring up stereotypes and apply them to people that you don't know. In the area of intolerance and hate you seem to be spreading more on here than any of those of us who are religious.

But I find the acts committed under the name of god to be offensive. Am I not entitled to an opinion?

You are entitled to an opinion, and I don't think anyone is denying that. But applying your opinion as a blanket statement to everyone who talks about god seems to be closed minded and intolerant, the same thing of which you accuse religion/Christianity of.

But I find the acts committed under the name of god to be offensive. Am I not entitled to an opinion?

You're certainly entitled to an opinion but this thread has nothing to do with offensive acts committed under the name of God, so...why? We're talking about Mars Hill and Tooth & Nail partnering up to release worship music. What are you talking about?

listen jhook:

No one is flaming you for your belief system, whatever it is.  I don't personally subscribe to the idea of organized christianty, but I am trying to make a point that everyone has a right to believe what they want to believe without being harassed as long as they aren't being offensive.

There are plenty of asshole's who subscribe to this belief system or that belief system.  Just because there was once an asshole christian who did terrible things does not mean that all of them should be judged as such.. There are plenty of asshole atheists (yes, atheism is a belief system) who have done terrible things as well, but that doesn't mean I'm going to march out and claim that all atheists are full of shit morons.

Judge people by their actions, not how they choose to deal with their own personal perspective on existence.