BUILT TO SPILL

I've got a couple cool BtS tapes in the last few months. They're pretty interesting so I figured I'd share them here.

oo0ynOHl.jpg

The tape on the left is a compilation put out my Michael John Serpe on his label Home Recorded Cassette Culture. This was a project where Michael had friends mail him tapes and then he put this compilation together with material from that From what I've read, these weren't sold in stores; They were mailorder only. There's a track from Doug. In the booklet, the track is called "God Wrote a Song" and is credited to Doug Martsch and Karena. On the tape, the artist name is "all smiles" There's a booklet included with a page from each artist. In case you can't make it out from the photo, here's Doug's page says:

Michael,

Sorry it took so long. Feel free to use as much or little of this as you want. The first two songs are by "Insect Theater" with credits -  written and recorded by Doug Martsch 1991. The third is by "All Smiles" and credits should read - written and recorded by Doug & Karena in 1994. Also say thanks to Todd Dunnigan for use of D.A.T. recorder and thanks James for co-inspiring 5 on 3 if you use it.

Thanks lots,

Doug

oh! Please return D.A.T. when you're done. Thanks.

The track is pretty interesting. It sounds like a children's church song. Doug's vocals are a lot more in the background and Karena's and a child's are more prominent. I've heard that the child vocals are from their son, but I'm not sure.

Here's an article from 1995 I found about this tape.

The other tape is a copy of Perfect From Now On. I saw this on Ebay and bought it pretty quick. I've never seen a copy on cassette before and I can't find any information about it being released. There's a "Warner Music Thailand" price sticker on it, which made me think it was a bootleg, but the quality is great on it. If it's a boot, someone really did their homework. If you type in the bar code, it brings up listings for it, and it was sealed with Warner Music shrink wrap so it might be legitimate. Most of the colors on the artwork are inverted, which is pretty interesting. Here's some more photos.

8MerFe5l.jpg

KG2B3B2l.jpg

JBLuqVvl.jpg

V7e46YBl.jpg

KJsw37El.jpg

Anyone know who Eliot Angel & Baby Dinosaur are? 

• 3 weeks later...

To those asking why TNWWL hasn't been repressed it's what was once UP (now defunct) has the masters - it's one guy actually (not the original founder of the company) and he either doesn't care enough or is just sitting on them.  A lot of the bands aren't happy.  Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West and Long Drive reissues (which thankfully sound excellent) took forever because the band basically had to recreate the vinyl masters.

As far as that BTS PFNO - Thailand Tape - it is totally legit - I used to work in the WB Records International Department in the late 90s and cassettes at that time were still the top selling format in a few smaller Asian countries - I couldn't believe it - I did see the art for the packaging float by my desk though.

BTS were my favorite band then and are still my favorite band now.  I have a signed copy of TNWWL on vinyl and it is my favorite record I own - PFNO is still slightly better in my opinion because it is the best album ever, but it's not better by much, instantly making TNNWL a top 5 album of all time too :)

To those asking why TNWWL hasn't been repressed it's what was once UP (now defunct) has the masters - it's one guy actually (not the original founder of the company) and he either doesn't care enough or is just sitting on them.  A lot of the bands aren't happy.  Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West and Long Drive reissues (which thankfully sound excellent) took forever because the band basically had to recreate the vinyl masters.

As far as that BTS PFNO - Thailand Tape - it is totally legit - I used to work in the WB Records International Department in the late 90s and cassettes at that time were still the top selling format in a few smaller Asian countries - I couldn't believe it - I did see the art for the packaging float by my desk though.

BTS were my favorite band then and are still my favorite band now.  I have a signed copy of TNWWL on vinyl and it is my favorite record I own - PFNO is still slightly better in my opinion because it is the best album ever, but it's not better by much, instantly making TNNWL a top 5 album of all time too :)

Welcome and thanks for the info. Always nice to have more BtS fanboys around.

Thanks for the info. I've read that cassettes were still big in some asian countries, and I've also heard that there was a ton of piracy there, so I'm pretty happy to learn it's legitimate.

I add my thanks to the chorus.  Frustrating though, as that is my favorite Built to Spill album by a wide margin.   Thankful for the LCW repress though as that happens to be in my top 5.

I just got my copy of the Ancient Melodies of The Future reissue of Music On Vinyl and I think it sounds great - happy to have it.  They even included the poster!  It's not quite newsprint - it's almost like rice paper or something - I geeked out a bit when I saw that.  This completed my BTS full album collection.  Good day indeed, can't wait for the new record.

I just got my copy of the Ancient Melodies of The Future reissue of Music On Vinyl and I think it sounds great - happy to have it.  They even included the poster!  It's not quite newsprint - it's almost like rice paper or something - I geeked out a bit when I saw that.  This completed my BTS full album collection.  Good day indeed, can't wait for the new record.

Damn! I totally forgot about the repress coming. I just ordered it as well. One step closer to completing the collection... TNWWL is the white whale.

• 1 month later...