The Official Fat Wreck Preorder Thread

1 minute ago, jerseydave77 said:

Seriously. What complaints? 

I was surprised to see prices up. Then again, when there is a backlog on everything, manufacturing costs more, and releases are delayed - this is the obvious outcome. 

I think someone said "Wow,"  It a fucking avalanche of animosity.  

7 minutes ago, Dub said:

I think someone said "Wow,"  It a fucking avalanche of animosity.  

:D

Wondering if the Copyrights was an exception since Last Gang was 16 2 weeks ago

anyway, preordered.

have all colored wrecks except few represses since tbr they came from the shawows

Edited by xen0m0rph

It's pretty well known throughout the vinyl community that Fat/NOFX collectors are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to price entitlement. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Must have something to do with their fan base being filled with 20-something year olds who glorify drug abuse and think that harassing women who show up to store events to buy records is ok.

is this real life david after the dentist GIF

5 minutes ago, SpaceAmbient said:

It's pretty well known throughout the vinyl community that Fat/NOFX collectors are some of the biggest whiners when it comes to price entitlement. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Must have something to do with their fan base being filled with 20-something year olds who glorify drug abuse and think that harassing women who show up to store events to buy records is ok.

They still have sold out on colored lps within a few hours after the preorder.

So I guess all is ok with fanbase

44 minutes ago, SpaceAmbient said:

7 and counting... 😄

happy homer simpson GIF

I’ll stand by my previous comments.  Only to add, for your benefit, that you may not truly understand what a complaint really is.  Or, your threshold for complaining is so low that it’s an outlier amongst more reasonable individuals thus making your contributions on the matter unreliable.

I do enjoy people complaining about prices. Try buying vinyl in New Zealand where prices start around $50 these days. Or try ordering from overseas where postage costs double what the actual record costs the majority of the time. But we’ve got the better life here though so it’s a small sacrifice 

1 minute ago, parkermatt said:

I do enjoy people complaining about prices. Try buying vinyl in New Zealand where prices start around $50 these days. Or try ordering from overseas where postage costs double what the actual record costs the majority of the time. But we’ve got the better life here though so it’s a small sacrifice 

I'm ordering to Russia so it's +20-25 USD in addition per record from USA and 15-20 from Europe. Have to use some consolidation companies to save some

Glad we have 200 eur per package limit so don't have to pay some custom fees

7 hours ago, SpaceAmbient said:

100% does not surprise me based on my own experiences at the Fat Store but what happened with the harassing women?

As someone relatively new to vinyl collecting and this community, I have a lot of questions about how the vinyl market works and maybe I'll make a separate post asking them but the whole "price entitlement" thing is interesting. Personally, I have always found Fat to have reasonable prices, but I don't know a whole lot. How do more veteran collectors assess prices? What is considered a fair price?

Just to be clear, Fat Wreck Chords themselves aren't the issue. I've had nothing but excellent service from them over the 20+ years I've ordered from them. And yes, they do have reasonably priced albums at retail.

My issue is more with the entitled attitude that pervades a portion of their fan base . I mean, I get it, we all feel upset when our favorite band releases a limited vinyl variant, we miss out on the announcement, and end up having to go to the second-hand market if we decide we really need it so badly. But not every fan base has so many people who like to complain so much about it either. 

I left all the NOFX related trading groups I was in because I got sick of seeing the "look how much someone is trying to sell this variant for" posts on a near daily basis. It just reeked of toxic tribalism. It's very noble when people can make groups for a trading niche and help each other out, but there are ways to do so respectfully and there are ways to go about it like an immature entitled jerk. They aren't the only fanbase that does it, but it's definitely the most vocal that I've seen.

Confession of a flipper scum. A big part of the reason why some people collect records is for the collectibility, otherwise the hobby might not be doing as good as it is. A lot of us have bought multiple copies of an album with the idea of trading an extra copy to help recoup some of the expenses of owning one. Many of us might not be able to afford to enjoy the hobby otherwise. Some of us accept this aspect of the hobby more than others.

I missed out of the stupid uncensored variant of Green Day's FOAMF, but did I "have the time" to whine about it on Billie Joe's IG or send death threats to the first person reselling a copy online that made me angry? No, I pulled up my pampers and made a big boy decision about my hobby. That decision meant spending $100+ after waiting a few months hoping for a cheaper copy to surface and never finding one. Feel free to trash talk my Green Day collecting all you want, I already know I'm an "Idiot." Heck, I once had 10 variants of Warning before I realized I had a problem and thinned it down a bit. 😆

FYI, I've had some awesome experiences with some Fat/NOFX collectors, one of which helped me recover a previously sold variant of Eating Lamb as a thank you for helping him get a store variant or two. Those experiences are what make collecting enjoyable and I certainly don't intend to offend those in the fanbase who contribute respectfully.

Without going in to specifics, I've just witnessed a lot of immature behavior from one particular fan base far more than any other. Most of which leans more towards petty annoyance, but others leaning towards behavior that is far less humorous. It just gets really old after a while.

Created a small discord server with the sole intent of helping each other out with pre-orders and all that and while we're only around 50 members, we've talked about bringing in new folks, but are wary of introducing that attitude and just bad apples in general.

We're really enjoying what we have for now and honestly, it's kinda made collecting fun for me again. I joined a couple of the vinyl facebook groups and holy shit is that the wild west. Some good folks, but just honestly feels like a pissing contest and wallet flexing left and right.

Not sure what I'm trying to say other than I agree with you to some degree, lol

19 minutes ago, geezfools said:

Created a small discord server with the sole intent of helping each other out with pre-orders and all that and while we're only around 50 members, we've talked about bringing in new folks, but are wary of introducing that attitude and just bad apples in general.

We're really enjoying what we have for now and honestly, it's kinda made collecting fun for me again. I joined a couple of the vinyl facebook groups and holy shit is that the wild west. Some good folks, but just honestly feels like a pissing contest and wallet flexing left and right.

Not sure what I'm trying to say other than I agree with you to some degree, lol

That’s really cool! I know what you mean about Facebook groups. I felt the same way so I started my own and I try to keep them as clean as possible. 

13 hours ago, parkermatt said:

I would trade in my entire collection and equipment if my family could just live in New Zealand for the next 30-40 years.