anyone been rejected by post office to ship through media mail?

I guess it really just depends on the people at the post office location.

It only "depends" on that if you choose to accept the incorrect pronouncements of the idiots at the post office who are misinformed. As this thread has shown, the official criteria for media mail is readily available to show to the morons (and the supervisors of morons).

this.

i know this is what most people do but i fucked it up once when selling something on ebay, had to pay more for the correct shipping at the post office and kinda scared me away from trying again haha

i'm glad to see everyone's input though. i hate to not use this post office cause it's 20 minutes closer than the other nearest one so i'll go back and try to fight it.

The post office by my house is awesome. They all know me there and know that I'm always shipping records. They don't even ask if sending media as they already know. Every once in a while I'll ship priority and tell them. And they at times ask me about the records I'm sending out and what kind of music. Good people at my local branch.

I'm not sure if they've ever opened a package of mine, but I know that they've yet to refuse my Media Mail rights.  They'll occasionally remind me that my packages are subject to being opened and inspected... but most of the time they just ask me whether or not I've included correspondences or notes.

The post office by my house is awesome. They all know me there and know that I'm always shipping records. They don't even ask if sending media as they already know. Every once in a while I'll ship priority and tell them. And they at times ask me about the records I'm sending out and what kind of music. Good people at my local branch.

This, too.  They don't greet me on a first-name basis (yet?), but they're pretty much at the point where they can do so without it being remotely weird.  On the rare occasion I have to pick up a record on account of signature confirmation, they claim that they go back and grab any "record shaped boxes" without even looking at the address.  They've guessed correctly 100% of the time.

I've got one of these going on too. Everyone but one miserable lady there is awesome and takes care of me. That's really how it should be.

why people don't print out labels with paypal is beyond me. it's cheaper than going to the post office because you pay less for delivery confirmation, you don't have to wait in line at the post office, and the time you spend dealing with the idiots who work at the post office is a tiny fraction of what it could be. you can even get away with shorting the weight of the packages to pay less in postage. put in an even 1 pound for 1 LP when it weighs closer to 2 pounds packaged properly and i've never had any issues. 1 pound is the cut off for additional postage, under is one rate and anything over costs more.

Let me begin by saying that I hate the USPS. I also hate that I've moved across the country and have to begin wearing down a new set of employees who get pissed when I walk in with a giant stack of records.

Beyond that, I've had people reject me saying that I can't use media mail at which point I ask for their supervisor. Then I have to open a box to show them the records inside. From there, they ship it media mail and I have to endure a painful conversation around "I didn't know they still made records..."

I have also had them open and inspect contents somewhere down the line. If its legit, they re-seal it and delivery ensues. If it is not, they return it and you're out the postage costs.

In other news, I totally shipped all of my husband&wife preorder tee bundles via media mail. DAMN THE MAN, SAVE THE EMPIRE.

My local PO is cool, the guy working today asked me what album it was. He apparently didn't know who Fireworks are. And I suppose it's a good thing I specified they were a band, cause I'm pretty sure shipping fireworks isn't gonna fly.

That freaking like quota!!! Don't know if it was intentional, but fireworks... not flying... double meaning haha made me laugh.

I think I've had someone tell me otherwise just once in 10 years of mailing records.

But seriously, as others have echoed: PRINT YO SHIT AT HOME. Seriously, if you sell on eBay or receive cash through Paypal, it's the easiest thing. My girlfriend got me a $15 scale that weighs up to 50 lbs so I get the exact weight. No guessing. Delivery Confirmation is free when you use the online system. WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING THIS?

I have tried to use the eBay print at home but if it fucks up its a huge debacle to get your money back from them (meaning, you have to call them for a refund, then wait a couple days to get your $3-$4 back). The label they sent me wouldn't show up the barcode properly, so I ended up having to go to the post office anyway. Screw that, not doing it again. I don't sell enough of them to go out and buy a scale either.

However, it may be because I have never had an issue going to my post office and using media mail to ship vinyl records, usually $3.50 after delivery confirmation.

I will admit, almost every USPS I've been to blows. There's one by my house where the employees are actually nice, so I don't mind stopping into that one. 

my thoughts about paying shipping through paypal is that even if i do that i still have to go to the post office to drop off the package. like someone else mentioned, i don't have a scale either. i'd rather just wait in line and have the PO worker ring it up correctly instead of messing it up myself and having to pay more for the right shipping instead of what i attempted through paypal. i also don't ship records out on as frequently as others on this site do though so i guess that's why i don't mind waiting on line every now and then.