The official Horror fan topic

Rip

I've been meaning to watch Cannibal Holocaust for over a year now. I'm a slacker

For some reason, I feel as if Cannibal Holocaust is a movie a horror fan needs to see at least once. With the reputation that it has, you need to see what all the controversy is about. It's pretty fucked up, but it'll definitely keep you entertained.

V/H/S was terrible in my opinion but the trailer for the second one seems entertaining so I will watch it

Idk about terrible compared to other found footage movies but from what I hear most of the stuff people didn't like in the first has been fixed for this. You Being into the trailer makes me even more stoked on it. Fingers crossed whoever buys this puts It on vod as soon as possible. I hate waiting on films going on their festival rounds

Man oh man, I love me some horror movies. The majority of my apartment is decorated in framed classic horror posters (Frankenstein vs the woodman, forbidden planet, Dracula, etc). I own about 1000 movies and I would venture to guess that about 75% of them pertain to the genre.

I'm definitely a fan of the majority of the sub genres; classic, slasher, cheesy, but can't really get into the torture genre that's been so popular as of late. I don't mind torture in a horror flick, as long as it isn't the entire basis for a movie.

um, even cabin fever 2? haha...that was terrible...

i did see the innkeepers but i don't recall much about it one way or the other...

he did one of the bits in V/H/S right? the wraparound stuff was crap but the segments were pretty good...

I really liked Cabin Fever 2 actually, haha.  I mean... I know even Ti West didn't like how it turned out because the studio made him change so much about it, but I thought it was a fun/disgusting movie.  Seriously, that was the last time I actually got grossed out during a movie.  Some of that shit was pretty fucked up!  But to go REAL obscure... have you seen his very first movie "The Roost?"

Man oh man, I love me some horror movies. The majority of my apartment is decorated in framed classic horror posters (Frankenstein vs the woodman, forbidden planet, Dracula, etc). I own about 1000 movies and I would venture to guess that about 75% of them pertain to the genre.

I'm definitely a fan of the majority of the sub genres; classic, slasher, cheesy, but can't really get into the torture genre that's been so popular as of late. I don't mind torture in a horror flick, as long as it isn't the entire basis for a movie.

I was waiting for you to post in here man!  From what I've seen in the "Recently Viewing" topic, you have some really awesome taste.  I'm a big fan of the sub-genre's as well.  Cheesy and slasher's are always a good time.  Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one of my favorite "cheesy" horrors.  But as for the torture genre, I honestly haven't noticed much of it lately.  Ever since the Saw and Hostel movies stopped, I feel as if that genre kind of died off actually.

Well, the more popular ones lately have been the Human Centipedes, Martyrs, Vile, and some other shitty excuses for film.

What I really want is for a movie to scare me; I haven't been scared by a flick in almost twenty years. Silent House had a few moments, as did The Orphanage, but nothing nightmare worthy.

Don't even get me started on the bulk of the 'found footage' films; however, VHS was good because it had a fresh take on the genre.

Well, the more popular ones lately have been the Human Centipedes, Martyrs, Vile, and some other shitty excuses for film.

What I really want is for a movie to scare me; I haven't been scared by a flick in almost twenty years. Silent House had a few moments, as did The Orphanage, but nothing nightmare worthy.

Don't even get me started on the bulk of the 'found footage' films; however, VHS was good because it had a fresh take on the genre.

Oh come on man!  You're telling me you didn't like Martyrs?  I mean... I understand that not everyone likes it, but I felt it was a lot deeper than just a "torture" film.  And as for Human Centipede, I feel as if the second one would fall more into the torture genre than the first.  The first one is nothing graphic-wise compared to the second.

And you thought Silent House had some scary moments?  Ehhh, I don't think I was scared once.  Not that I didn't enjoy it, I just went in expecting more.  I'm talking about the remake by the way.  Not sure how much it differs from the original because I haven't seen it.  I think I've heard it's almost a shot-for-shot remake though.

I am with you on The Orphanage though.  That's up there with my favorite "ghost" horror films.  You hear they're in the process of remaking it though?  Ughhhhhhhhh.

A Serbian Film is the most fucked up movie I have ever seen

It's definitely up there.  It's one of those movies for me where I feel weird saying that I liked it, because I did.  I say that because I can't say that I ENJOYED the content and the shit that happened in it, but it definitely kept me entertained.

It's definitely up there.  It's one of those movies for me where I feel weird saying that I liked it, because I did.  I say that because I can't say that I ENJOYED the content and the shit that happened in it, but it definitely kept me entertained.

I think that movie was overhyped to be way more crazy than it was...I think it was an ok movie but nothing to get overexcited about

One movie that shocks me still is the original I spit on your grave...those rape scenes are so hard to watch because they are so brutal, but I would have to say that it is one of my favorite horror films because of the revenge that she extracts from the dudes at the end...

A Serbian Film was/is/always will be pointless. There is no validity to that movie aside from the writer being able to say "look at me, look at me, look what I did, hey you're not looking"

Martyrs was just a milder version of all the exploitation found in other mentioned films, only with a shroud of 'art' surrounding it to make it seem alright. Didn't like it. Please don't take offense if you did, it's just my opinion, and I have awful taste in everything but hibachi resteraunts.

Silent House did put me on edge for a moment or two, ill admit it, though they were your typical cheap shots in cinema, silence then loud orchestrated scare.

As far as the Orphanage remake, it could be great. I don't have anything against most remakes, in fact, I tend to enjoy them. I thought Let Me In was a great take on the original.

What some people tend to think about, is the vision the original director had versus the technology and the financial means. Movies made years ago were unable to match the advances in film we have today, and a lot of foreign films tend to lack a budget in which a remake could provide.

Also, speaking of foreign films, everyone watch High Tension. Also, if you enjoy horror comedy, Severance was definitely one of the most overlooked horror films within the last decade.

A long time ago I was spending a lot of money on DVDs I thought that I needed to own to have the perfect horror collection. Without knowing much about them, I ordered I Spit On Your Grave and House at the End of the Street. I watched approximately 15 minutes of each and promptly threw them in the garbage where they belong.

I just can't watch a movie that's entire plot is centered around rape, fiction or not, watching a girl being raped is fucked. Even if she gets revenge in the end, you still spent half an hour watching a girl get raped. Fuck that noise.

A long time ago I was spending a lot of money on DVDs I thought that I needed to own to have the perfect horror collection. Without knowing much about them, I ordered I Spit On Your Grave and House at the End of the Street. I watched approximately 15 minutes of each and promptly threw them in the garbage where they belong.

I just can't watch a movie that's entire plot is centered around rape, fiction or not, watching a girl being raped is fucked. Even if she gets revenge in the end, you still spent half an hour watching a girl get raped. Fuck that noise.

I'm assuming you meant "Last House On The Left?"  House at the End of the Street is that shitty Jennifer Lawrence movie that came out not too long ago.

Also, you may never want to watch the movie "Irreversible" then if you tend to shy away from the "rape" stuff.

you have to get past the first 15 min of awfulness of irreversible before you have to sit through the next hour before that 20min rape scene...

Not sure how that changes it being one of the most realistic/drawn out/fucked up rape scene's I've ever seen on film, but ooookay!

Not sure how that changes it being one of the most realistic/drawn out/fucked up rape scene's I've ever seen on film, but ooookay!

Agreed....I liked Irreversible (as much as you can like a movie like that), I spit on your Grave and Last House On The Left because the stories were so symbolic. Especially I Spit On Your Grave, that is the biggest "Woman Power" movie that I have ever seen. One of the pinnacle films of the feminist movement. Also, the story of Last House On The Left can be traced back through history...It is basically a reinterpretation of a very old story, almost like a modern day fairy tale. For an example of what I mean watch Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring. It is the exact same story, but in a more subtle and fairy tale way. Irreversible was just a great artistic film. The disorientation that you feel from the way Gaspar Noe uses his camera adds so much to the film...and if you don't like any of these movies, don't watch his first film I Stand Alone because it is pretty insane as well, not as good as irreversible though IMO

Lets remember too that LHOTL and ISOYG were both genera exploitation flicks that were trying to push the boundary's of censorship. Some of these films were extremely groundbreaking and really pushed the envelope, basically giving a big fuck you to the MPAA because now people could make films independent from studios. I think the 70s exploitation flicks are so extreme because of all of the pent up frustration and conformity from the 50s and 60s...They were sick of being silenced and wanted to get everyone's attention which is the basis of both independent film making and Punk Rock....

wow that was long...I just feel that we shouldn't write these movies off because they bother us because they are supposed to, and there is a deeper level to the violence in most of them. Also, I would watch any of the above movies 400 times before I would ever watch Star Wars, Indiana Jones or any of that other shit again...just saying

Yeah, sorry, I definitely meant Last House on the Left.  I'm aware of Irreversible, and even tried to watch it once.  Again, fuck movies solely based on rape.  Pushing censorship or not, it's still watching someone being raped.  So you've pushed censorship with rape, now what happens?  More movies with rape?  Fuck that noise.  

I'm all for pushing boundaries, and love a great majority of the exploitation films from the era (so much so that this is my coffee table book)

ShockHorrorBook.jpg

I'm all for pushing boundaries, and love a great majority of the exploitation films from the era (so much so that this is my coffee table book)

ShockHorrorBook.jpg

Whaaaat??  I didn't even know this existed!  I might have to look into that...

Also, I watched The Cabin In The Woods for the second time last night.  I fell in love with it the first time I saw it in theaters, and I think it was definitely better the second time.