The official Horror fan topic

Rip

I love pretty much every single movie mentioned in this thread.  

Also, I would watch any of the above movies 400 times before I would ever watch Star Wars, Indiana Jones or any of that other shit again...just saying

QFT

Great job everyone!

Also Ronnie, I know how you feel about rape movies, but what about corpse sex movies?  Have you seen Nekromantik?

I love pretty much every single movie mentioned in this thread.  

QFT

Great job everyone!

Also Ronnie, I know how you feel about rape movies, but what about corpse sex movies?  Have you seen Nekromantik?

If you're bringing up Nekromantik, have you ever seen Aftermath? It was on Netflix instant for a while too

Yeah, sorry, I definitely meant Last House on the Left.  I'm aware of Irreversible, and even tried to watch it once.  Again, fuck movies solely based on rape.  Pushing censorship or not, it's still watching someone being raped.  So you've pushed censorship with rape, now what happens?  More movies with rape?  Fuck that noise.  

I'm all for pushing boundaries, and love a great majority of the exploitation films from the era (so much so that this is my coffee table book)

ShockHorrorBook.jpg

I think the rape is symbolic. I'm not saying it is easy to watch and I don't enjoy it...but that is the point...It is supposed to be difficult to watch. Personally I find the fact that women are still basically being raped by our male dominated society much more disgusting than any of the rape scenes in I Spit On Your Grave...

Lol, I never thought I would see someone ask a qestion like that.  But speaking of Nekromantik, I've always wanted to see what all the fuss was about with it.  It's on so many "most controversial" lists, and I know what it's about for the most park because I've looked into it, but it's so expensive on Amazon.  That's the big downfall to all these controversial films, I want to see them so bad just to say I have, but it's so damn hard when the majority of them are expensive as fuck.

I know we've talked about remakes only slightly here before, but are there any remakes that you guys are actually excited about?

I don't remember the last time I was so excited for a movie in general as I am for the Evil Dead remake.  Like everyone else, I was a little skeptical when it was first announced, but after seeing the trailer, I know I'm not going to be disappointed.  Plus the fact that they're using pretty much all practical effects is a major plus.

I'm also a little excited to see the Carrie remake.  They pushed it back from a March release date to October, so hopefully that means they want to get things just right.

As for the ones I'm incredibly skeptical about, I'd have to say The Orphanage (which was already mentioned), Oldboy, and Martyrs.  The cast of Oldboy is looking pretty good so far, and Spike Lee is directing it.  But I find it unbelievable that any remake could come close to the original.  As for Martyrs, there isn't really anything known about it so far other than the producers of it are the people who produced the Twilight movies.  Yeah... you read that right.  So who knows how the hell that's gonna go...

Lol, I never thought I would see someone ask a qestion like that.  But speaking of Nekromantik, I've always wanted to see what all the fuss was about with it.  It's on so many "most controversial" lists, and I know what it's about for the most park because I've looked into it, but it's so expensive on Amazon.  That's the big downfall to all these controversial films, I want to see them so bad just to say I have, but it's so damn hard when the majority of them are expensive as fuck.

That's what I love about being an internet pirate  ;)

I was originally shown a friend's VHS copy years back, but I think I have a digital somewhere around here.  I don't recommend that anybody actually spends any money to see it, as you'll probably feel ripped off when you see the movie was basically shot on a handheld camcorder with horribly shitty production values, and is pretty much a joke.  It's just interesting to see how realistic they made it look (especially for the late 80s with no budget) and if you have a buddy to laugh at horror movies with, this is definitely the mother of all gems.  Necrophilia filmed in a serious manner to a classical music track?  Yes please.

In my opinion (especially with this movie) it's really best to have a friend you can watch horror movies with, it's much easier (for me, anyway) to gauge other people's emotions and respond when things are supposed to be funny (or not supposed to be funny but still are), as well as when things are supposed to be serious and work well in doing so.  It also just makes me feel less less awkward when I'm watching horrible and depraved shit on the TV screen.

Rape films are hard to watch for a reason, but that doesn't make them pointless.  Irreversible is really an amazing film.  The opening line of the film "Time changes everything" is the theme of the film and everything follows that motif.  It's stylistically amazing, as the camera techniques literally take the viewer from Hell in the beginning of the film when the two guys are running through the demented sex house with those almost unwatchable shakey cam shots, to Heaven at the end of the movie when she's in the field reading the book on the sunny day.  It's all about how time has changed the characters and what their actions have meant.  

I understand why people have a hard time watching them, and I couldn't ever feel comfortable watching them with a girl (even my horror-movie loving gf), but I still wouldn't say they're pointless.  To me, ultimately, one of the marks of any good film is that it's memorable.  And some of the shit in Irreversible and A Serbian Film I feel like I'll never forget.

I don't really know where I was going with this post.  Dead body sex.  Yeah.

That's what I love about being an internet pirate  ;)

I was originally shown a friend's VHS copy years back, but I think I have a digital somewhere around here.  I don't recommend that anybody actually spends any money to see it, as you'll probably feel ripped off when you see the movie was basically shot on a handheld camcorder with horribly shitty production values, and is pretty much a joke.  It's just interesting to see how realistic they made it look (especially for the late 80s with no budget) and if you have a buddy to laugh at horror movies with, this is definitely the mother of all gems.  Necrophilia filmed in a serious manner to a classical music track?  Yes please.

In my opinion (especially with this movie) it's really best to have a friend you can watch horror movies with, it's much easier (for me, anyway) to gauge other people's emotions and respond when things are supposed to be funny (or not supposed to be funny but still are), as well as when things are supposed to be serious and work well in doing so.  It also just makes me feel less less awkward when I'm watching horrible and depraved shit on the TV screen.

Rape films are hard to watch for a reason, but that doesn't make them pointless.  Irreversible is really an amazing film.  The opening line of the film "Time changes everything" is the theme of the film and everything follows that motif.  It's stylistically amazing, as the camera techniques literally take the viewer from Hell in the beginning of the film when the two guys are running through the demented sex house with those almost unwatchable shakey cam shots, to Heaven at the end of the movie when she's in the field reading the book on the sunny day.  It's all about how time has changed the characters and what their actions have meant.  

I understand why people have a hard time watching them, and I couldn't ever feel comfortable watching them with a girl (even my horror-movie loving gf), but I still wouldn't say they're pointless.  To me, ultimately, one of the marks of any good film is that it's memorable.  And some of the shit in Irreversible and A Serbian Film I feel like I'll never forget.

I don't really know where I was going with this post.  Dead body sex.  Yeah.

If I could like this post 100 times, I would.  I luckily have a very good friend to watch this kind of shit with.  He's actually the member thispartysucks128 and we try and watch these crazy films any chance we get.  We've pretty much watched all that we both have so one of us is going to have to invest in some more fucked up stuff, haha.

I couldn't agree with you more about your interpretation of Irreversible.  The whole beginning is so difficult to get through.  Me and thispartysucks128 actually watched that for the first time together and we were exhausted by the time that whole sex-club scene is over with.  But if you can get through that you'll definitely be rewarded with one of the most memorable films you've ever seen.

If I could like this post 100 times, I would.  I luckily have a very good friend to watch this kind of shit with.  He's actually the member thispartysucks128 and we try and watch these crazy films any chance we get.  We've pretty much watched all that we both have so one of us is going to have to invest in some more fucked up stuff, haha.

I couldn't agree with you more about your interpretation of Irreversible.  The whole beginning is so difficult to get through.  Me and thispartysucks128 actually watched that for the first time together and we were exhausted by the time that whole sex-club scene is over with.  But if you can get through that you'll definitely be rewarded with one of the most memorable films you've ever seen.

word dude...word...

I wish I had more money to spend on fucked up shit...and more time to watch it...haha

I know we've talked about remakes only slightly here before, but are there any remakes that you guys are actually excited about?

I don't remember the last time I was so excited for a movie in general as I am for the Evil Dead remake.  Like everyone else, I was a little skeptical when it was first announced, but after seeing the trailer, I know I'm not going to be disappointed.  Plus the fact that they're using pretty much all practical effects is a major plus.

I'm also a little excited to see the Carrie remake.  They pushed it back from a March release date to October, so hopefully that means they want to get things just right.

As for the ones I'm incredibly skeptical about, I'd have to say The Orphanage (which was already mentioned), Oldboy, and Martyrs.  The cast of Oldboy is looking pretty good so far, and Spike Lee is directing it.  But I find it unbelievable that any remake could come close to the original.  As for Martyrs, there isn't really anything known about it so far other than the producers of it are the people who produced the Twilight movies.  Yeah... you read that right.  So who knows how the hell that's gonna go...

I hate foreign film remakes, I see them as just big cash grabs when Hollywood is scraping the bottom of its (non) creativity barrel.  I don't think I've ever seen one that I liked better than the original.  At least none come to mind.  I hated the American Dragon Tattoo film and I think that was the last one I've seen.

Remakes in general are pretty hit or miss with me, I loved High Tension (think Ronnie mentioned that one earlier, solid film) and Aja's style, so naturally I loved the Hills Have Eyes remake but that's the only one that I can think I really enjoyed more than the original.  Last house on the left and I spit on your grave were okay, but neither hold a candle to the original.

The Orphanage, Oldboy and Martyrs:  C-A-S-H G-R-A-B-S.  Who better to direct Oldboy than Hollywood's resident racist and hypocrite Spike Lee?  Here to collect yet another paycheck.  Guy hasn't done anything noteworthy in 10 years. They should just re-release the originals in theaters, maybe actually impart wisdom unto the masses about good film-making.  But no, Americans are too fucking stupid to actually READ for an hour and a half, so we'll just remake them as shitty generic American movies.  I can see Martyrs coming out with a PG-13 rating, just fucking wait for it.  Gah.  I'm all worked up now.

I'll watch pretty much anything though so I'll definitely check all of them out, didn't even know they were remaking Carrie and shit.  Heard about Evil Dead, and I"m sure it will be okay, but it's just not the original.  Practical effects are definitely a plus but I can think of plenty of currently released films with original screenplays that use practical effects that I would rather support instead.  

I hate foreign film remakes, I see them as just big cash grabs when Hollywood is scraping the bottom of their (non) creativity barrel.  I don't think I've ever seen one that I liked better than the original.  At least none come to mind.  I hated the American Dragon Tattoo film and I think that was the last one I've seen.

Remakes in general are pretty hit or miss with me, I loved High Tension (think Ronnie mentioned that one earlier, solid film) and Aja's style, so naturally I loved the Hills Have Eyes remake but that's the only one that I can think I really enjoyed more than the original.  Last house on the left and I spit on your grave were okay, but neither hold a candle to the original.

The Orphanage, Oldboy and Martyrs:  C-A-S-H G-R-A-B-S.  Who better to direct Oldboy than Hollywood's resident racist and hypocrite Spike Lee?  Here to collect yet another paycheck.  Guy hasn't done anything noteworthy in 10 years. They should just re-release the originals in theaters, maybe actually impart wisdom unto the masses about good film-making.  But no, Americans are too fucking stupid to actually READ for an hour and a half, so we'll just remake them as shitty generic American movies.  I can see Martyrs coming out with a PG-13 rating, just fucking wait for it.  Gah.  I'm all worked up now.

I'll watch pretty much anything though so I'll definitely check all of them out, didn't even know they were remaking Carrie and shit.  Heard about Evil Dead, and I"m sure it will be okay, but it's just not the original.  Practical effects are definitely a plus but I can think of plenty of currently released films with original screenplays that use practical effects that I would rather support instead.  

Goddamn man, you're starting to become one of my favorite members here.  I'm totally with you on the whole Hollywood and remakes thing.  I swear there isn't any other thought that goes through their heads other than "this is a cult classic, let's try and make it appeal to everyone so we can make a shit-load of money."  And it can go one of two ways for people.  Either a.) they enjoyed the original so they're interested to see how the new one turns out or b.) they loved the original and refuse to see it be tainted by Hollywood.  I will definitely be falling under the "b" category if/when the remake of Martyrs comes out.  It absolutely breaks my heart that they feel the need to remake that movie.  There is nothing about it whatsoever that needs to be remade about it!  Like what you said, just re-release the movie's in US theaters.  It'll be a new movie to a whole bunch of people anyways, so what does it matter?

As for remakes that I really enjoyed, I'd probably have to go with The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and The Amityville Horror.

^ Absolutely amazing list man.  It's going to be damn near impossible to pick a top 10 but I'll try my best.  Keep in mind this may change tomorrow.

In no particular order:

The Thing (original)

The Shining

Re-Animator

Insidious

Martyrs

Evil Dead

The Exorcist

The Innkeepers

Session 9

Antichrist (this may not qualify as a horror to some, but I'll be damned if it doesn't have a ton of horror elements)

Just so you know, that's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.  Because, like I said, that list will change by tomorrow.  I don't think I could even comfortably make a top 50 favorite horror movie list.

1. Martyrs

2. Pet Semetary

3. Evil Dead

4. Phantasm

5. A Nightmare On Elm Street (original)

6. The Exorcist 3 (yeah, you read that right)

7. Insidious

8. The Innkeepers

9. Session 9

10. VHS

11. Dead Alive

12. Sleepaway Camp

Some honorable mentions - I Spit On Your Grave, I Saw The Devil, Suspiria, Zombi 2, House By The Cemetary, City Of The Living Dead, The Beyond, and about a million others...this is as hard as making a top 10 favorite bands list...

Nice to see that Lucio Fulci is getting some love on here...dude made some killer movies

It

Nightmare on Elm Street

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Exorcist

The Blair Witch Project

Zombi (good call, Ronnie)

The Hills Have Eyes (remake)

Event Horizon

Dead Alive

Hatchet

Yeah this was really tough. I've always considered myself the opposite of John Cusack's character from High Fidelity when it comes to making lists, nothing's harder than a top 5/10 list of anything for me.

It's also tough for me to lump movies like Oldboy or Irreversible under the blanket term "horror" when really I consider them to be more suspenseful dramas, or something. But I'm digging all your guys' lists so far, and I'm sure I forgot about one that was supposed to be on my list by the time I've typed this out.

No real order.

Phantasm

Sleepaway Camp

Return of the Living Dead

Re-Animator
The Lost Boys
The Prowler
Halloween
Nightmare on Elm St. 
Night of the Creeps
Fright Night

Also, Looks like Phantasm II is coming out on blu-ray soon. Definitely a weird sequel and where's the original in hi-def?

Top 15 (in no order...and man its tough to narrow down)

Evil Dead

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Dracula

Martyrs

Inside

Trick R Treat

Monster Squad

Night of the Living Dead

The Descent

Nightmare on Elm Street

Creepshow

Friday the 13th Part 2

Day of the Dead

Top 15 (in no order...and man its tough to narrow down)

Evil Dead

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Creature From the Black Lagoon

Dracula

Martyrs

Inside

Trick R Treat

Monster Squad

Night of the Living Dead

The Descent

Nightmare on Elm Street

Creepshow

Friday the 13th Part 2

Day of the Dead

fantastic list, I freaking love Monster Squad

wolfmannards.jpg

Some awesome lists guys!  I forgot to ass some honorable mentions, so I would have to say mine would be Inside, VHS, and Kill List.  Then again, maybe I'd rather have those in my top 10... Ugh.

Also, Looks like Phantasm II is coming out on blu-ray soon. Definitely a weird sequel and where's the original in hi-def?

Hell yeah!  Scream! Factory is putting it out.  I've picked up their special edition releases of Halloween II, Halloween III, and They Live.  They all have some pretty cool special features.