The official Horror fan topic

Rip

6 hours ago, kylet said:

Yeah seriously. Coming out so strong with 1 and 2, Viral was the such a let down. Have you seen Southbound yet? I'm pretty sure it's some of the same producers/writers as parts of the VHS series. It's not as good as VHS 1 + 2 but it's definitely worth watching, and way better than Viral. 

If you read a little earlier on this page you would see I haven't yet ;).

I'm reeeeally looking forward to it though.  I've heard nothing but good things and the trailer made it look great.  Going to buy it next Tuesday and then hopefully watch it soon after!

29 minutes ago, kylet said:

Yeah I saw that, didn't know if you had checked it out since. 

I just googled it and realized this is getting a DVD release next Tuesday?! I hope it eventually gets Bluray. 

Yep!  I was hoping for a blu-ray release as well, but Amazon has only had the DVD listing for it.  Either way, I'll stop in Best Buy next Tuesday and grab this (assuming my Best Buy gets it) and The VVitch blu-ray.

Anybody seeing any cool screening of F13 tonight? This cool theater by me is showing Part 3 and 4 on a giant screen they set up in the woods at a campsite. You can rent a cabin afterwords, but my friends are lame and didn't want to. I guess you have to park your car and walk a bit through the woods to get down to the lake, where the movie is showing, and they said there's gonna be some scares on the walk down there. I can't wait!

photo%201_zpsincbh1nc.png
photo%203_zpsvfzfn3eh.pngphoto%202_zpsvehc3evz.png

http://www.coolidge.org/films/friday-13th-camp-crystal-lake-rocky-woods-reservation-part-2

It was awesome! There was a dude dressed like Jason who was on point! It was drizzling rain all night, which I thought was gonna suck, but actually made for a foggy/eerie night, and I was under a tent so I didn't get went. Part 3 was in 3D (hence my stupid glasses), which although gave me a headache was definitely awesome to see!

photo%2022_zpsphigb8h7.jpg
photo%2011_zpsoeiudedw.jpg

Edited by kylet

30 minutes ago, Bladew1ll1s1sdead said:

Actually gonna buy a dvd copy just for subtitles. 

Same, I need to watch that final scene with subs. Feel like I missed some of the movies most important dialoge.

I love Found. It's in my collection. Do you listen to any podcasts? The director did a pretty cool interview on one of the earlier episodes of the BTK podcast.

3 minutes ago, kylet said:

Same, I need to watch that final scene with subs. Feel like I missed some of the movies most important dialoge.

I love Found. It's in my collection. Do you listen to any podcasts? The director did a pretty cool interview on one of the earlier episodes of the BTK podcast.

Well shit, I want to go find that now. 

I thought Found was alright.  The acting was a little questionable at times, but that's to be expected from a low budget film like that.

Speaking of, I just watched "They Look Like People" on Netflix last night.  Really good stuff.  Once again, the acting is a little "meh" sometimes but I ended up really liking it.  More of a "thriller" than horror film, but still.

23 hours ago, FiggyPuddling said:

Speaking of, I just watched "They Look Like People" on Netflix last night.  Really good stuff.  Once again, the acting is a little "meh" sometimes but I ended up really liking it.  More of a "thriller" than horror film, but still.

Started watching that last night but was just too tired. Planning on finishing it today. Only like 20 minutes in, but so far I'm digging it.

UPDATE: Just finished it. It was alright. Nothing really happened, I felt pretty bored with it. My wife liked it a lot more than I did. I thought Found was a home run compared to They Look Like People. To each their own. 

Edited by kylet

On May 14, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Bladew1ll1s1sdead said:

The Witch, I didn't get more than 45 into it. Couldnt understand a fucking thing anyone was saying. 

I understood everything they were saying and still had trouble getting through it (but I still made it to the end).  I cannot, for the life of me, understand why there was so much fucking hype around this movie.  Great acting, set and costume design do not in any way make up for a lack of a captivating plot or multi-dimensional characters.  I found it to be boring as shit.

Edited by yanquiuxo

7 hours ago, yanquiuxo said:

I understood everything they were saying and still had trouble getting through it (but I still made it to the end).  I cannot, for the life of me, understand why there was so much fucking hype around this movie.  Great acting, set and costume design do not in any way make up for a lack of a captivating plot or multi-dimensional characters.  I found it to be boring as shit.

- Great Acting
- Great Set Design down to every little detail
- Awesome suspense (trying not to spoil anything), all along you're not really sure if it's internal conflicts between the family members and that's the way those characters saw things, or if shit was really happening, and then shit gets crazy haha.
- The plot was super basic, but it worked. A family not that into Christianity was drove out of a super religious based community.  And they tried to support themselves and make it on there own but they couldn't and it was taring them apart. Plus they're dealing with witches. And Black Philip.
- Minimal gore/practical effects, but when they did have it, it worked, and since it was so sparing it was a huge shock when it did come. 

What else can you ask for? Idk if I'd say A+, but definitely a solid A.

During witch trials/hunts adults often took children's word when persecuting victims, and children often lied to receive attention. That dynamic wasn't exclusive to plot.

The movie tried to hard to be unsettling, even using two captial Vs for the W in the title makes you feel uneasy because it's slight difference to something that you commonly see.

4 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Uh, the family was super into Christianity. That's part of what makes the movie so scary.

Maybe "Not that into Christianity"  wasn't the best choice of words. But they got banished from the town for not worshiping enough according to rest of the super religious community.

Saw this is the soundtrack thread. Thought some folks over here might be interested:

This month's Horror Block will include a 7" with The Omen Theme on it.

Here's the link to the block sub:

https://www.nerdblock.com/horror?gclid=CPrMw7GT18wCFRCOaQodv2IC_A

They sent an email about the 7" - this site posted it:

http://www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com/2016/05/horror-block-may-2016-spoiler-coupon.html

Anybody in here do horror block? I've been on the fence about it for awhile, this might be a reason to try it out, at least for May. I did Loot Crate once and didn't see the value.

UPDATE: Went for it. Use  NERDADDICTION for $3.40 off.

Edited by kylet