The official Horror fan topic

Rip

8 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

watched Leatherface and bedeviled tonight. Leatherface was alright, the gore was really good tho, id recommend checking it out but bedeviled not so much.

I remember enjoying Bedevilled quite a bit.  It has been a few years since I’ve seen it and I’m assuming we’re talking about the same film, right?  The Korean one?

4 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

I remember enjoying Bedevilled quite a bit.  It has been a few years since I’ve seen it and I’m assuming we’re talking about the same film, right?  The Korean one?

I wanna say it came out last year? it may have been based on a Korean film, you know how us Americans like to ruin Asian horror films.

Edited by KingTacoMunster

1 hour ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I wanna say it came out last year? it may have been based on a Korean film, you know how us Americans like to ruining Asian horror films.

Just looked it up.  Yeah the movie you watched sounds awful.  This is what I was thinking of: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646959/

Edited by FiggyPud

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

definitely not that one haha. anyone see anything decent on Netflix lately?

I've been enjoying the shit out of Mindhunter.  Not really horror or a thriller, but I'd say it lives in the periphery.  I've still got a few episodes to go, well worth the time imo.

I watched Better Watch Out on Christmas and thought it was a good watch.  Went in a direction I didn't expect and is pretty bleak and cold.  Not a full on Christmas horror movie, could probably be watched whenever.

A Cure For Wellness - It was a beautiful looking film and past that, it was a turd.  The ending was real easy to figure out, dialogue was terrible, it was VERY poorly paced and too long by about 45 minutes.  The protagonist was painfully unlikeable too.

They Look Like People - Nothing special, but I found myself liking it, even though I couldn't really say why.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

A Cure For Wellness - It was a beautiful looking film and past that, it was a turd.  The ending was real easy to figure out, dialogue was terrible, it was VERY poorly paced and too long by about 45 minutes.  The protagonist was painfully unlikeable too.

They Look Like People - Nothing special, but I found myself liking it, even though I couldn't really say why.

My exact thoughts on both films.

Spent my NY with a few movies, one dud and one good one.

Here Alone  - It was like an extra bad Walking Dead episode (which I already think is terrible).  It wasn't so bad that I turned it off, but I ended up doing shit around the house with it in the background once the halfway mark hit.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Not horror, but it's the Bone Tomahawk director's second film and I'm sure there's some interest here.  I really, really liked it.  It's paced about the same as Bone Tomahawk, so expect a much slower movie that you might think it'd be.  Vaughn is great and it's very violent, looked like mostly (or all) practical effects).  I'd recommend it if you have a soft spot for exploitation films.

Black Mirror S04 - I was on call this weekend, so I was stuck at home and had time to knock out all six.  I didn't care for the Star Trek one.  The middle four were decent, but I'm not sure if there's any stand out episodes like San Junipero from last season.  The black and white episode and the dating ones were probably the strongest two.  The last episode was awful, felt like a Tales from the Crypt episode without the fun.

4 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Not horror, but it's the Bone Tomahawk director's second film and I'm sure there's some interest here.  I really, really liked it.  It's paced about the same as Bone Tomahawk, so expect a much slower movie that you might think it'd be.  Vaughn is great and it's very violent, looked like mostly (or all) practical effects).  I'd recommend it if you have a soft spot for exploitation films.

Black Mirror S04 - I was on call this weekend, so I was stuck at home and had time to knock out all six.  I didn't care for the Star Trek one.  The middle four were decent, but I'm not sure if there's any stand out episodes like San Junipero from last season.  The black and white episode and the dating ones were probably the strongest two.  The last episode was awful, felt like a Tales from the Crypt episode without the fun.

Can’t wait to check out Brawl.  Sounds really good.  Plus I loved Bone Tomahawk.

Makes me sad you didn’t like the last episode of Black Mirror though!  That might’ve been my favorite of the whole season.

23 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Makes me sad you didn’t like the last episode of Black Mirror though!  That might’ve been my favorite of the whole season.

Yeah, not sure why, but the premise and presentation completely fell flat for me.  Save for a handful of episodes, I haven't been overly impressed with the Netflix seasons.  They're not unwatchable by any means, something just seems different.

We Are The Flesh - I really enjoyed this, but I can easily see why the reviews have been so mixed.  It's pretty abstract, creepy, violent and sexually graphic.  Not for someone who needs a cohesive narrative at all.  Be curious to see what the the folks in here think of it.

Wolf Creek S2 - Pretty big step back from season one.  This felt pretty generic and really should've been done as a 2 hour movie, not a ~6 hour series.  It was still fun and I mostly enjoyed it (I'm a sucker for dumb slasher stuff), just didn't bring anything new to the table like season one did.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

We Are The Flesh - I really enjoyed this, but I can easily see why the reviews have been so mixed.  It's pretty abstract, creepy, violent and sexually graphic.  Not for someone who needs a cohesive narrative at all.  Be curious to see what the the folks in here think of it.

I really liked it and enjoyed it.  Then again I make it a point to watch any fucked up movie I can.

3 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

I really liked it and enjoyed it.  Then again I make it a point to watch any fucked up movie I can.

Same here.  We Are The Flesh was smart about keeping it short too.  80 minutes was about perfect, I don't know if the movie would've benefited from being any longer.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, jonrawks said:

Happy Death Day - Surprisingly fun and kind of cute.  I was in the mood for something light that I could watch while enjoying a few pints and this was perfect for that.

I really enjoyed it when we saw it in the theater. Was planning to watch again to see if it held up.

watched Before I Wake the other night, wasn’t as bad as some movies in that genre. Couldn’t take Thomas Jane seriously with the hair tho

12 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

watched Before I Wake the other night, wasn’t as bad as some movies in that genre. Couldn’t take Thomas Jane seriously with the hair tho

I'm pretty certain I had that downloaded a while back and deleted it due to a poor Rotten Tomato's score or something.  Now that it's on Netflix, it's kind of caught my interest again.

Here's what my weekend consisted of

The Monster - I thought this was so well done all around.  It felt similar to some other movies I've seen, but they executed it really well.  Seems like it flew under the radar, even by A24 standards.

Timecrimes - I've seen most of Vigalondo's work, but somehow this eluded me.  I thought it was extremely fun, which I didn't expect.  I'm guessing most people in here have seen it already, but I'd recommend it if not.  More of a scifi movie than horror though.

Non-horror things I watched and liked - April & The Extraordinary World and The End of The Fucking World S1

saw the new Insidious movie yesterday and its solid. probably the best since the first one. the main "demon" is cool, connected some dots and left it where they could do more in the future...

also the showed the trailer for "truth or dare" which looks horrible but they showed "a quiet place" which looks solid, so I'm stoked on that one.

Edited by KingTacoMunster