The official Horror fan topic

Rip

31 minutes ago, Secular Haze said:

I recently watched Rob Zombie's 31.  It was cah-ray-zeeeeee, to say the least.  I highly recommend it.  

I'm a zombie fanboy so I loved it and was dope to see in the theater. I also think his movie lords of salem is super underrated

1 hour ago, Secular Haze said:

I recently watched Rob Zombie's 31.  It was cah-ray-zeeeeee, to say the least.  I highly recommend it.  

It was definitely a fun watch, but honestly it was probably my least favorite film of his.

1 hour ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I also think his movie lords of salem is super underrated

My 3rd favorite film of his behind Devils Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses.  I love it.

Edited by FiggyPud

2 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I'm a zombie fanboy so I loved it and was dope to see in the theater. I also think his movie lords of salem is super underrated

49 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

It was definitely a fun watch, but honestly it was probably my least favorite film of his.

My 3rd favorite film of his behind Devils Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses.  I love it.

I still haven't seen Lords of Salem.  It's the only one I'm missing.  I love all the others.

49 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Funny, I can't stand Zombie's film (or really anything he does).  He seems all style and absolutely no substance to me.  I gave up after Lords of Salem.  I will admit that I liked his trailer in Grindhouse though.

I can kinda see your point on this but if anyone is true on the horror train, rob is definitely one of the top. his interviews when he talks about being a kidand finding horror stuff is cool. house of 1000 corpses to me is a great homage to old b horror movies, and then he went toward his "studio" movies stage which I think he had limits put on him, thats why he crowdfunded 31 to basically do what he wanted. he did a pretty cool podcast with mick garris with some great stories.

19 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I can kinda see your point on this but if anyone is true on the horror train, rob is definitely one of the top. his interviews when he talks about being a kidand finding horror stuff is cool. 

Oh yeah, I don't feel like he's disingenuous.  It's mostly that something about how he presents his stories rubs me the wrong way.  I think I always read it as a combination of trying to hard to shock and being cheesy in an embarrassing way.  I don't fault anyone for liking his work, just doesn't do anything for me.

Watched a couple things this last weekend:

Jack Goes Home - Pretty crazy and fucked up film.  Seems a lot of people didn’t like it too much, but I was thoroughly creeped out for a lot of it.  Stars Rory Culkin and Lin Shaye.  Definitely recommended if you’re more of a fan of psychological thrillers.

The Void - I know most of you have seen this but I was pretty late to the game.  Been meaning to see it for so long.  Lived up to the hype for sure though.  I love it so much.  I’m such a sucker for practical effects and they were great.

14 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Jack Goes Home - Pretty crazy and fucked up film.  Seems a lot of people didn’t like it too much, but I was thoroughly creeped out for a lot of it.  Stars Rory Culkin and Lin Shaye.  Definitely recommended if you’re more of a fan of psychological thrillers.

I had that on my computer for quite a while and it didn't survive the last purge of unwatched movies I did.   I'll have to keep it in mind the next time I'm looking for a good psychological thriller.  I like creepy!

Here's what I watched over the last week

Hatchet II - This was a real fun one and exactly what I wanted in a slasher.  Not serious at all, great kills, tons of blood and enjoyable practical effects.  Trying to get to the third one soon, want to be able to watch Victor Crowley when it's available.

Moebius - Very strange film.  I'd say it's a psychological thriller with a mild bit of body horror.  It's completely dialogue free.  Not an easy recommendation, but it's short and an interesting watch.

Gerald's Game - I thought this was a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel.  It was well done and I think he did a very good job translating the story into a movie.    I didn't really care for the book overall (especially the ending), I was just too curious to see how Flanagan made this work to pass it up.

Dark S1 - I'd say I maybe 60-70% really liked this.  The time travel / mystery aspects of it kept me interested, but the drama side of things tended to drag and didn't do nearly as much for me.  It's also a gorgeous looking show and the score fits almost perfect, a few bonus points there.

I also watched Carrie and Christine, turning my weekend into a bit of a Stephen King themed few days.

54 minutes ago, stranaspank said:

Has anyone watched  A Dark Song or Prevenge? Saw them on a couple year-end lists and they sounded interesting.

I watched both, here's what I thought about them at them time.  Haven't thought about either of them since posting, so no real lasting impression from either.

Watched Prevenge last night.  I wouldn't say it was bad (it mostly kept my attention), it just seemed a bit uninspired.  The music and the cinematography felt very familiar.  The story was ok, but not too memorable.  I think if it would have leaned much harder into dark comedy, it would've worked better.  Not a bad film, just not a very unique one.

I watched A Dark Song last night and it didn't do much for me.  It was far too drama heavy for the bulk of it and never managed to hook me in, so it mainly felt like a very LONG 100 minute movie.  A better balance of spooky-to-drama would've helped greatly.  To it's credit, I did think the last 15-20 minutes were much stronger and still has me thinking about it a bit this morning, so there is that.  Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.

38 minutes ago, stranaspank said:

Bummer for A Dark Song. Horror movies with a heavy metal edge always get me interested, so I'll probably watch it anyway. But sounds like Prevenge is skippable. 

Have you seen The Devil’s Candy?  If not, do yourself a favor and watch that.  Should still be on Netflix.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

It's flawed, but fun.  I second this.  The use of Sunn O))) music worked very well too!

I just recommended it cause he said he liked his horror with a “heavy metal edge,” haha.  I really liked it though.  Can’t wait to see what that director does next and I hope it’s sooner than later.  Way too long of a wait between this and Loved Ones.

37 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

A friend and I watched Boys in the Trees and Veronica this week.  I'd recommend both of them highly.  Very different movies.  Veronica is traditional horror, done very well and Boys in the Trees has a dark fairy tale vibe going for it.

Never heard of either of those but I looked them up and they both sound awesome.  Gonna add em to the list for sure.