The Official Horror Thread

Rip

so I figured out how to watch amazon prime through my blu ray player and was stoked to see the decent amount of horror movies on there. We watched Witching Season and was super meh. but then we watched Crush The Skull and I enjoyed it a good bit. A little twist and liked the ending which was cool the last words spoken.

10 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I just realized Hereditary is a little over 2 hours long.  Was hoping to see it on Friday, but the runtime might make it a little harder.  Hoping to squeeze it in at some point during the weekend either way.

Oh shit that’s awesome actually.  You don’t see horror movies run that long too often.  Totally ready to poop myself for 2 hours straight this Sunday.

Hereditary was really good. Seriously tense with some legit and well done jumps. Some truly unnerving stuff too. A nice mix of dread/jumps/tension. Nice sound design too.

Dude behind me had to get a quick "Shut the fuck up" about a minute into the movie because he didn't shut the fuck up when the movie started.

14 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Hereditary was really good. Seriously tense with some legit and well done jumps. Some truly unnerving stuff too. A nice mix of dread/jumps/tension. Nice sound design too.

Dude behind me had to get a quick "Shut the fuck up" about a minute into the movie because he didn't shut the fuck up when the movie started.

So glad to hear this.

Also, 100% my worst fear when going to the theaters.  I hate being “that guy” who shushes people, but whatever. The fact that people have no common courtesy when it comes to that stuff will forever blow my mind.

44 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

So glad to hear this.

Also, 100% my worst fear when going to the theaters.  I hate being “that guy” who shushes people, but whatever. The fact that people have no common courtesy when it comes to that stuff will forever blow my mind.

The most annoying part was my girlfriend and I were the first ones in the theater. Then the next group that walked in sat directly behind us. Not a big deal, especially when you've got ideal seats, but a little odd to not put a row between...still not a big deal. But then the one dude just talked (not whispered) through the entire 20 minutes of trailers. Again, annoying but not a problem. 

Then the movie started and he showed no signs of shutting up so I nipped that shit in the bud. If you're a grown ass adult who doesn't know to not talk in a crowded theater you don't deserve a shush or anything polite. Just "Yo, shut the fuck up"

4 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

The most annoying part was my girlfriend and I were the first ones in the theater. Then the next group that walked in sat directly behind us. Not a big deal, especially when you've got ideal seats, but a little odd to not put a row between...still not a big deal. But then the one dude just talked (not whispered) through the entire 20 minutes of trailers. Again, annoying but not a problem. 

Then the movie started and he showed no signs of shutting up so I nipped that shit in the bud. If you're a grown ass adult who doesn't know to not talk in a crowded theater you don't deserve a shush or anything polite. Just "Yo, shut the fuck up"

Yeah that’s the worst.  The only plus side to my theater is there is reserved seating online.  So you can go and see what seats are taken so you can kind of pick and choose how close you sit to other people if possible.  Very back row in the center is my ideal spot.  That way I avoid people behind me talking at least haha.

3 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

That very much sounds like my experience tonight.  People behind me were a bit obnoxious.

Agree with your statements about the movie overall.  It was more of a slow burn than I was expecting, but it definitely had me uneasy right from the get go.  It's also something that I'll be thinking about for a few days, there's a lot to process.  

I was expecting it to be a slowburn but it was definitely slower than I expected.

There were a couple moments that actually got a little "Oh shit!" out of me. Being a horror fan for decades, it's always nice to have something surprise you. A certain huge spoiler shot (I won't ruin it) was startling as fuck and I really was not expecting it.

Luckily the dude behind me immediately shut up. I think I scared him more than the movie did.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

Hereditary was amazing. Truly left my shaken up afterwards. I wanna see it again to analyze the plot more, which I won’t give anything away but going in blind is best. The sound design was incredible and the scares were true terror over shock. Some of the most unsettling moments were when stuff was heard offscreen. 

I can can definitely see casual horror fans or people expecting something like The Conjouring not liking it though. It’s a true art house film and falls more in line with The Shining/Babadook in terms of style. 

Edited by museummouth

15 hours ago, museummouth said:

Hereditary was amazing. Truly left my shaken up afterwards. I wanna see it again to analyze the plot more, which I won’t give anything away but going in blind is best. The sound design was incredible and the scares were true terror over shock. Some of the most unsettling moments were when stuff was heard offscreen. 

I can can definitely see casual horror fans or people expecting something like The Conjouring not liking it though. It’s a true art house film and falls more in line with The Shining/Babadook in terms of style. 

I was going in expecting a moody, unsettling artistic movie and I did not like Hereditary very much. It reminded a bit of the Witch, which I loved, but the experience was just not there for me for several reasons. That said, there were like 30 minutes of Hereditary that I loved (the first 15-20 of the movie and the first 10-15 of the climax/ramp up at the end). The rest of it, without giving spoilers, was not giving me the experience I wanted which it seems was the one you got. I'm glad you dug it.

so finally got to see hereditary which i loved. that being said, horror movies marketing needs to calm them fuck down. once again we got oh its so scary and blah blah. ive never actually been scared of a movie. but what we got was artsy with great acting, solid story, great cinematography and a genuine creepiness. cant wait to watch again as i feel its one of those that you pick up different things in multiple watches. A24 is killing it.

28 minutes ago, KingTacoMunster said:

horror movies marketing needs to calm them fuck down. once again we got oh its so scary and blah blah

I think A24's marketing is a little misleading sometimes.  I liked Hereditary and It Comes at Night quite a bit, but both trailers had me expecting pretty different movies.  That being said, I'm not really sure what the best way to market either would be.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread