The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

Regardless of how A24 markets things, it’s 100% guaranteed that I will watch anything that company puts out.  Horror or otherwise.  I don’t think they’ve let me down yet.

For sure.  Their name is pretty much a mark of quality in my mind.  Looking at their wikipedia page, I think that everything I've seen from them has been good and that there's a whole lot I still haven't seen.

8 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

For sure.  Their name is pretty much a mark of quality in my mind.  Looking at their wikipedia page, I think that everything I've seen from them has been good and that there's a whole lot I still haven't seen.

I’m seeing Hereditary tomorrow (finally)!  I swear if someone ruins this viewing experience for me I will flip out.  I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward to a movie this much.

And yeah at this point the marketing is just whatever.  A horror movie comes out at least once or twice a year that people claim is “the scariest movie in years.”  But compared to what other movies exactly?  It’s such an odd marketing choice if you think about it.  I could say I’ve never been freaked out by a movie since The Conjuring, but that doesn’t mean my buddy wasn’t shutting himself during A Quiet Place.

I haven't been truly terrified of a movie since I was a little kid. But every once in awhile a movie can make me tense or anxious. It helps if I'm just a tiny bit too stoned, but that can make anything kinda scary. Some people even as adults just still freak out about horror movies. I don't get it, but I know those people are out there. I heard about a friend of a friend who as a grown ass 30 year old man had to hide behind the couch watching The Conjuring.

Hereditary had some REALLY well done tension and some damn near masterful jump scares (not cheap ones at all...I hate cheap ones). Sometimes with the tension leading up to the jump. I'll just hop behind some spoiler tags here

The close up on the son's face as we hear the mother prepare to go get in the car, followed by her screams as the camera just holds on the son's face for what starts to seem like too long....and then smash cut to the head on the road. I was not expecting it, especially with that level of gore. The movie makes you tense up, then you get more and more tense until you think "Maybe they aren't gonna show what is happening-OH FUCK!" That was just so effective. I wasn't terrified but I definitely jumped and muttered "Oh shit..."

The first random tongue click that the mother hears in the car made me and everyone else in the theater jump practically out of our seats.

53 minutes ago, museummouth said:

Hereditary score: 

http://shop.artistarena.com/artists-1/milan-records/hereditary-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-lp-digital-bundle.html

Worth it for the music during the 

Hide contents

crowning scene

Bummed I missed the signed copies but I hadn’t seen the movie yet when those went up so I didn’t know for sure if I wanted it. This a buck cheaper via amazon plus prime shipping if you’ve got it, it’s on backorder though.

Been in a bit of a slasher mood for the last few months, so I've been taking time to watch things that I either haven't seen or haven't seen since in a real long time.

Halloween 4 - Halloween : Resurrection - These are all varying degrees of bad, some in barely even a fun way.  Halloween 5 is probably the exception, it gets a pretty goofy (Michael drives a car!) and is mostly enjoyable.  Doesn't seem to take itself too seriously.   Even if Green's Halloween isn't amazing, I have a feeling it'll be better than anything after Halloween III.

Mildly related, this is cool as hell

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3503285/catch-halloween-3-reference-new-halloween-trailer/

Edited by jonrawks

Resurrection might just be the worst one. Kinda worth it for the horrible Busta Rhymes performance.

I hate the 2 that Zombie did so much that I don't even count them. I like him as a filmmaker too...but those 2...ugh.

Edit: Oh shit, I don't think I've seen 4 or 5. Well, I've seen one of them and I seriously can't remember which. Even reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia I'm still like "...???"

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

22 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Resurrection might just be the worst one. Kinda worth it for the horrible Busta Rhymes performance.

I hate the 2 that Zombie did so much that I don't even count them. I like him as a filmmaker too...but those 2...ugh.

Edit: Oh shit, I don't think I've seen 4 or 5. Well, I've seen one of them and I seriously can't remember which. Even reading the plot synopsis on Wikipedia I'm still like "...???"

As I mentioned, 5 was pretty fun.  Not a must see by any means, but it's easily the best out of the later ones.  It's kind of goofy / cheesy in a Nightmare on Elm Street way at times.

I'm not watching the Zombie ones, I watched the first half of one when it came out on DVD and couldn't even finish it.

The best part of Resurrection is Busta Rhymes using karate on Myers, I'm still laughing about it.

Edited by jonrawks

I remember a work print of the 2nd Zombie one leaked a few weeks before it came out in theaters.

I burned a few copies and would low-key give them to customers at the video store I worked at like "Don't bother waiting and/or spending your money on this trash" Horror fans were always the best customers. Not casuals though. They'd rent garbage and then be mad at me about it.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Alone in the Dark (1982) - Fairly enjoyable lite slasher / home invasion movie.  It feels kind of dated, but it had a good premise and some cleverness to it.  Also, Martin Landau makes for a pretty terrifying villain.

Saw this a few years ago and had never heard of it. It played as a "surprise movie" in the middle of an all day 35mm horror marathon.  Definitely the best way to see it. On old somewhat damaged 35mm in a room full of amped up horror fans. A lot of fun. I'm also a sucker for when horror movies from the 70s/80s have a punk club scene.

Walked out of Hereditary as happy customer. Maybe not as happy as anticipated, but still a beautiful movie. Toni Collette was fantastic and heartbreaking, as was the rest of the cast. I love that actress the Leftovers too. I don't know how I feel about the ending, but overall the movie is gorgeous, well made, and soaked in dread, which is my favorite kind of horror movie. Very excited to see what comes next from the director.

Also, that house is everything I want in life. If I'm ever in a position to hire an architect for a build, I'm showing them that movie.

Wildling - More of a dark fantasy with a horror element than a full on horror film and very much a mixed bag.  The friend I watched it with liked it more than I did, but I didn't dislike it.  It kind of felt like something that should've been for a teenage audience, but there was enough violence and profanity to keep that from happening.  There's also this awful, awful song about the wildling in the closing credits.  It's super funny.

Ghostland - This was mostly really enjoyable.  It was tense, violent and super creepy.  There are some nice Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes and I kind of got a little High Tension feel to it as well.  There wasn't a whole lot of plot to it, which isn't necessarily a negative in a horror film, but in this case it was pretty bad / hard to let slide even by horror standards.  I'd still recommend it, but the plot issues keep it from being a strong recommendation.

Very minor spoilers but figured I'd hide just in case.

Spoiler

Major issue is the ending feels real lazy too.

7 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Ghostland - This was mostly really enjoyable.  It was tense, violent and super creepy.  There are some nice Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes and I kind of got a little High Tension feel to it as well.  There wasn't a whole lot of plot to it, which isn't necessarily a negative in a horror film, but in this case it was pretty bad / hard to let slide even by horror standards.  I'd still recommend it, but the plot issues keep it from being a strong recommendation.

Very minor spoilers but figured I'd hide just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

Major issue is the ending feels real lazy too.

Where were able to see this?