The official Horror fan topic

Rip

4 hours ago, museummouth said:

Dead Body - terrible teen slasher on Amazon. Very predictable and I was able to figure out the killer almost immediately.  Not worth a watch. 

I watched that a while back and agree completely.  I had totally forgot about it until I looked it up.  Big waste of time.

Friday the 13th - Jason X - spent the last couple months watching these.  I'd apparently seen most of them at one point, as most of the kills seemed real familiar.  Was real fun to take some time and watch these in order.

Friday the 13th & Part II - Both of these are pretty bad.  I could see why they did so well, but the mostly feel dated.

Part III - Still my favorite.  A lot of fun kills, it's well paced and it seems to have a good idea of what it is.  Plus, we finally get the Jason we all know and love.  When I was in high school, one of the theaters did a 3D showing and it was very rad, haha.

The Final Chapter (IV) & A New Beginning (V) - Both duds overall.  It seemed like a lot of kills were off screen, which takes a lot of the fun away.  The idea of someone else taking up the hockey mask in V wasn't a terrible idea, but I can see why it wasn't well received.

VI : Jason Lives - Another fun one.  Reminds me of Part III a lot.

VIII : The New Blood - This one is another dud.  Can't remember what specifically made it bad though.

VIII : Jason Takes Manhattan - I forgot how little of this actually took place in NY.  Still super fun and a lot of ridiculous kills on the boat.

Jason Goes To Hell - Idea behind this wasn't bad, but not for a Friday the 13th movie.  Kind of like with V, not having actual Jason as the killer just doesn't work.  Name is a tad misleading too, Jason wandering around hell and fighting demons could've been rad.

Jason X - This one is so bad, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it because of how stupid it is too.

All of the 80s Ft13th sequels had like ALL of their gore gutted out by the MPAA and then the footage was destroyed because no one was perserving that kind of stuff back then. Now everything gets saved and stored at least digitally. The MPAA was way stricter back then too AND this series was like THE series that was being blamed for all the gore and violence in movies, so they were under a much more intense microscope. I've read about how most of those kills were filmed and they're nuts, but that footage is lost forever.

Personally, I think 1, 4, and 6 are the best with the remake not far behind.

X looks like a god damn Sci-Fi Channel Original and outside of the sleeping bag kill, I hate it.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

Wife and I just watched Ghostland.  Here are my thoughts that I texted to my buddy that I’ll just copy and paste:

“Just watched Ghostland.  I don't know man... I mean, I enjoyed it for what it was, but that film was NOT Pascal Laugier.  At least not what we've come to expect from him.  The cinematography and all that was him 100%, but I feel like it was filled with mostly modern day horror cliche's.  Most of (if not all) the scares were jump scares and the "twist" is somewhat original to an extent.  Actually there's a couple, but I won't say anymore about that.  All in all, I would definitely recommend checking it out because like I said, FOR WHAT IT IS, it's enjoyable for the most part, but do not go in expecting a Pascal Laugier film.”

Sorry I keep interrupting the F13th talk but I just has another thought on Ghostland:

It honestly felt like it  was a movie directed by the guys who did Inside, Livide, and Among The Living if anyone needs another idea of how it was.  Not that that’s a bad thing.  Just for comparisons sake.

Okay that’s it, haha.

Edited by FiggyPud

3 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Sorry I keep interrupting the F13th talk but I just has another thought on Ghostland:

It honestly felt like it  was a movie directed by the guys who did Inside, Livide, and Among The Living if anyone needs another idea of how it was.  Not that that’s a bad thing.  Just for comparisons sake.

Plenty of room for talk about both!

I haven't seen anything Laugier has done outside of Martyrs, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect with Ghostland.  The Among the Living comparison is pretty good now that you mention it.  I don't think I would've put that together on my own, but I see it now.

33 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Sleeping bag kill was done in one of the others too, but it was against a tree.  This one was better, but it's not a new thing for the series sadly.

Yeah, I can never remember which one that's in. The one in Jason X is easier to remember because it's better but most importantly it's the only good thing about the movie.

I just recently learned that the reason we haven't had a new one in almost a decade is because one of the screen writers of the original has been suing them saying he wasn't "employed" by the producers when he wrote it so it wasn't theirs to sell the rights to or some shit. Huge bummer, I know there have been at least 2 distinct film projects that never went anywhere after being announced. I guess now it's affecting the game? I don't have anything to play it on, so I'm not familiar but I guess the developers are forbidden from releasing any DLC because of the lawsuit.

I want to say the sleeping bag kill was in VII.  And yeah, there's some sort of legal tangle about the rights currently.  I see things about it periodically, but I usually just skim through the articles.  I've always been curious about the game, but I'm in the same boat of having nothing to play it on.  Looks cool though.

57 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Plenty of room for talk about both!

I haven't seen anything Laugier has done outside of Martyrs, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect with Ghostland.  The Among the Living comparison is pretty good now that you mention it.  I don't think I would've put that together on my own, but I see it now.

Oh man, you GOTTA watch House of Voices and The Tall Man.

House of Voices isn’t anything super amazing, but it’s really good if you dig movies like The Orphanage.  It is subtitled though, so that’ll have to be whenever you’re in the mood for something like that.

I really loved The Tall Man though.  It sits on that fine line between horror and thriller so it’s hard to call it one or the other.  But it’s so great.  I know a lot of people didn’t like it that much but I think you’ll enjoy it.

36 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I want to say the sleeping bag kill was in VII.  And yeah, there's some sort of legal tangle about the rights currently.  I see things about it periodically, but I usually just skim through the articles.  I've always been curious about the game, but I'm in the same boat of having nothing to play it on.  Looks cool though.

I actually had a beta code for the game a LONG time before it came out and was just like "I don't have a computer for gaming *shrug*"

I only skim those articles as well. So I'm not sure if my thoughts on it are accurate, but I'm always like "Why didn't homie do this in the mid/late 80s when it was basically the biggest horror property going? He probably would've got a very swift payout or something"

16 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Oh man, you GOTTA watch House of Voices and The Tall Man.

I'm definitely planning to now.  I saw Martyrs right around when it came out and his name kind of slipped of my radar for whatever reason.  Kind of relieved that he doesn't have too deep of a filmography, much easier for me to digest 2 films.

55 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Don't ask me why but I'm about to watch Scream 3 for the first time since I saw it on it's opening night in theaters.

I plan on working my way through the parts of Craven's filmography that I either haven't seen or haven't seen in a long time.  Unfortunately, that means Scream 3 is on my watch list too.  I don't think I've watched any of the Scream movies more than once and it was all when they came out (except for maybe 4, not sure if I ever saw that one).

15 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

The first Scream is a stone cold classic that transcends horror canon and is just plain essential viewing. I watch it at least once a year.

Scream 4 was hot fucking garbage though

Nailed it. We just watched the scream series not long ago and totally agree. Classic Craven. I HATE what they did with the show 

Edited by KingTacoMunster

Scream 3 was...weird. It definitely sucks, but in a way that it only could have sucked in the year 2000. That makes it kind of fascinating. I guess the entire thing was reworked post-Columbine and Kevin Williamson wasn't available to write it. So the whole thing was rushed from every angle. I probably won't watch it again for another 18 years, but it's a fun time capsule of suck so I'll definitely watch it again given I don't die in the next 20 years.

1 hour ago, marc32137 said:

I could tell when it was coming out of the speakers or not. Usually the ones that weren't were followed by the childish giggling of their friends nearby.

Ugh.

Some kids were doing that all through A Quiet Place because of the Hereditary trailer. Another group of kids wouldn't stop talking. I would've been pissed, but everyone else in the theater was being super passive aggressive about it instead of just saying "Shut the fuck up" so I was entertained.

I dunno. I almost might have preferred if the audience engaged in a bit of silly call-and-response with the movie when I watched Hereditary. At least, if it started after the "shocking" accident mid-way through the movie, when the film itself started devolving into a ridonkulous cheesy movie. The last half was begging to be fun and engaging in it's dumbness but everyone in the theater was still traumatized from the creepy, excellent first half of the movie, so we just sat there quietly and did not get to have the fun.

When I watched A Quiet Place, the theater next door was playing Rampage, so, for the first 2-3 long silent sequences, I thought the faint rumbling and explosions coming from next door where the monsters in A Quiet Place causing carnage off in the distance. It wasn't until about halfway through the movie that I realized those were supposed to be cool, affecting, long silent stretches and the muffled destruction noises were not part of it. :P

Edited by swb

48 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

I’ve started to make it a habit of going to the earliest showing possible for a movie on Sunday.  Seems to weed out the assholes.

I usually go on a weeknight 2-3 weeks after something comes out, does the same thing.  Hereditary was a little too must see for me to wait.

I had a similar experience were people were making those noises, super annoying.