The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I usually go on a weeknight 2-3 weeks after something comes out, does the same thing.  Hereditary was a little too must see for me to wait.

I had a similar experience were people were making those noises, super annoying.

Man that’s crazy.  No one in the theater made the clicking noise (that I know of).  Then again, it was just me, my wife, my cousin, and her husband, along with maybe 4 or 5 other people scattered throughout.

Edited by FiggyPud

Nightmare on Elm Street - Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason - A friend of mine and I went to a screening of Nightmare a few months ago, kind of what kicked off my slasher run.  Thought I hadn't seen some of these, but watching them made me realize I had.

Nightmare - This is a full on great movie and holds up super well.  It was also cool to see it in a theater.

Nightmare 2 : Freddy's Revenge - This one is so goofy.  It's got such a strange teen movie vibe to it.  I really liked it.

Nightmare 3 : Dream Warriors - Probably my favorite, so much good stuff in this one.

4 -6  are all kind of bad.  The super cartoony Freddy is kind of fun I guess, but it's so much not what I want from the character.

New Nightmare - I love when meta stuff works well and this hits perfectly.  Such a clever idea too.  Only complaint I have is I don't like the Freddy make up .

Freddy vs. Jason - I remember seeing this on opening night and being disappointed.  I enjoyed it a bit more tonight, but it's still not a good entry to either franchise.  Something tells me if this would've been made in the late 80s, it would've been a much better movie.  Has too much polish or something.

Have you seen Never Sleep Again or Crystal Lake Memories? They're long as fuck (NSA is 4 hours and CLM is almost 7) but they're definitely worth the watch if you're a fan of those two series. My favorite part of NSA had to be when everyone was talking about how Nightmare 2 was basically a story about repressed homosexuality, but then one dude was just like "No! There's nothing gay about it!"

For anyone that doesn't know NSA is a documentary about the Nightmare on Elm Street series and CLM is about the Friday the 13th series.

I read a really in depth book about the production of the first Ft13th movie, but I can't remember the name. 

2 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Have you seen Never Sleep Again or Crystal Lake Memories? They're long as fuck (NSA is 4 hours and CLM is almost 7) but they're definitely worth the watch if you're a fan of those two series.

I haven't yet.  They'd be nice cappers to finishing up each franchise though, I'll look in them! 

Had a real good time at the Cineapocalypse screenings I went to.  Would love to make it an annual trip, but I'll have to figure that out next year.

Await Further Instructions - This was all around great, I suggest keeping an eye out for it.  Can't go into it too much without spoilers though.

The Cop Baby - Not horror.  Very strange Russian film about a cop who body swaps with a baby.  Much funnier than I was expecting.  Great midnight film.

Demon Knight - Hadn't seen this since it came out and it's still pretty rad.  Don't know if I'd have went to it normally, but I've been slowly watching Tales from The Crypt and it seemed appropriate.

Summer of '84 - This was real well done.  I liked Await more, but this was a close second.

22 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Demon Knight - Hadn't seen this since it came out and it's still pretty rad.  Don't know if I'd have went to it normally, but I've been slowly watching Tales from The Crypt and it seemed appropriate.

34558711_401182806957169_742296436103708
I saw Demon Knight for the first time last month at this event. Not crazy about the movie but I had a blast watching it with a full crowd and John Kassir seemed like a rad dude and did a great Q+A after the show. 

Anybody ever seen German Angst? It's a pretty cool German Anthology with some heavy hitter directors, most recognizably Jorg Buttergereit (Nekromantik 1 + 2, Schramm, The Death King). It's been on my amazon wish list for like a year and a half and I noticed today the price was significantly cheaper. I guess Artsploitation films rereleased it with a ton of new bonus features! It's only $9.99 on Bluray from amazon so I grabbed that right away! It's also streaming for free on prime if collecting isn't your thing. 

45 minutes ago, kylet said:

Anybody ever seen German Angst? It's a pretty cool German Anthology with some heavy hitter directors, most recognizably Jorg Buttergereit (Nekromantik 1 + 2, Schramm, The Death King). It's been on my amazon wish list for like a year and a half and I noticed today the price was significantly cheaper. I guess Artsploitation films rereleased it with a ton of new bonus features! It's only $9.99 on Bluray from amazon so I grabbed that right away! It's also streaming for free on prime if collecting isn't your thing. 

Been on my list for a while now too.  Should finally pull the trigger on this...

4 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Been on my list for a while now too.  Should finally pull the trigger on this...

It's been around $20 since I put it on my list, but not really a ton of features and I've heard the subs are shit so I wasn't in a rush to grab it. I'm assuming they fixed the subs, added a  bunch of features, and half the price, so I grabbed it!

The Domestics - This was a real fun one.  The Mad Max comparison is pretty obvious, but there's definitely some The Warriors and Fallout in there too.

Minutes to Midnight - Oof was this terrible.  It might be a bit more entertaining with a group of people if you need something dumb to make fun of, otherwise it should be avoided.

A Quiet Place - I was too busy to catch this in the theater unfortunately.  Overall I liked it, except for a complaint that I'll put in spoilers.  Very clever idea that seems like it appeals to horror nerds, but is also broad enough that my folks would probably like it too.

Spoiler

My biggest complaint is that the ending reminded me of Signs and not in a good way.  The monster's weakness seemed a little too obvious.  The end shot with her and the shotgun was pretty rad though.

This one is more of a thriller than horror, but Calibre on Netflix is unreal. I just finished it and feel very uneasy. It's incredibly dark and really gets under your skin like some of those A24 movies. The cinematography is also gorgeous! Definitely worth the watch if you find time. 

1 hour ago, Han Solo said:

This one is more of a thriller than horror, but Calibre on Netflix is unreal. I just finished it and feel very uneasy. It's incredibly dark and really gets under your skin like some of those A24 movies. The cinematography is also gorgeous! Definitely worth the watch if you find time. 

I don’t remember seeing this on their but I’m gonna get on this ASAP now after hearing this then looking it up.

27 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

I don’t remember seeing this on their but I’m gonna get on this ASAP now after hearing this then looking it up.

I think it was only uploaded within the last day or two! Apparently it won an award at the  Edinburgh International Film Festival the day it premiered. 

4 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Saying a movie is A24-esque is about as high of praise as you can get in my book. I’ll be checking this out some time this week for sure.

Here's my watching for the week so far

The First Purge : This was real dumb.  I thought the first three were definitely stupid, but they were fun and ridiculous.  This one fell flat in so many ways.  The social / economic stuff is worse than usual (and part of that plot line just disappears).  Feel like this franchise is delivering some real diminishing returns at this point.  One of the more enjoyable things is that it does go full action movie for a bit.

Another Wolfcop : I don't remember if I liked the first one or not.  I definitely didn't like this one.

Lace Crater : Kind of a mumblecore light body horror movie.  I enjoyed it, but I also like stuff that's pretty mumbly and might be a tad biased toward it.

The Fog : Another Carpenter movie that I hadn't seen.  I can't say it's anyone near the top 5, but it was worth watching.

Ravenous : For the most part, this was a slower and fairly generic zombie movie.  There's about 15 minutes where it dives into arthouse territory and was pretty interesting.  Not really sure what to make of it as a whole.

I also finished my run on Tales from the Crypt.  Was watching an episode or two before bed every night and it was kind of a blast going through this.  The percentage of actual good episodes is pretty low, but so many of them are real fun and cheesy.

I really disliked Calibre. Just didn't do anything for me. Doesn't earn it's slowburn pace and the pay off is "meh"

I really liked the First Purge though. I've still never seen the original, but all of the sequels have been a lot of fun. They aren't exactly "good" movies, but they're solid modern B-movie with a strong throwback vibe without feeling like it's trying too hard. They're basically Assault on Precinct 13/Escape from NY Carpenter worship.

Their social commentary is about as subtle as a brick to the face, but I'm a Paul Verhoven fan...so...

Unrelated: Jim Jarmusch is filming a zombie movie with Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton, Steve Buscemi, and a bunch of others in Upstate NY right now. My girlfriend's dad ran into Bill Murray at his golf club.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I really liked the First Purge though. I've still never seen the original, but all of the sequels have been a lot of fun. They aren't exactly "good" movies, but they're solid modern B-movie with a strong throwback vibe without feeling like it's trying too hard. They're basically Assault on Precinct 13/Escape from NY Carpenter worship.

You're pretty spot on with that assessment.  I liked the original quite a bit, although I think I'm in the minority on that.  Not the best home invasion movie, but it's fun.  Definitely different from what the sequels became.