The official Horror fan topic

Rip

On 7/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

It's not really horror, but everyone should go see Sorry to Bother You. The less you know, the better.

The best I can explain it is it's like if Get Out and Idiocracy were the same movie, but done in the style of early 00s indie flicks like Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich.

It's not perfect, but my criticisms are irrelevant because I just want people to go see it. We need more legit fucking weird movies like this. 

It's strange that I haven't seen this yet. Boots Riley actually lives in my neighborhood. On an even further unrelated recommendation, everyone should definitely see Blindspotting. It touches on so many issues in America today. It should win many awards, but we know how that goes.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

It's not really horror, but everyone should go see Sorry to Bother You. The less you know, the better.

The best I can explain it is it's like if Get Out and Idiocracy were the same movie, but done in the style of early 00s indie flicks like Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich.

It's not perfect, but my criticisms are irrelevant because I just want people to go see it. We need more legit fucking weird movies like this. 

Saw that the other night. I thought it was brilliant.  Four people were in the theater total. One guy walked out before the third act. The best way I've heard it described is a less pretentious Charlie Kaufman film. I definitely recommend it. 

2 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Hereditary and Ghost Stories comes out in blu-ray and DVD today!  Grabbing them both after work.  Can’t wait to watch Hereditary again and I’ve heard great things about Ghost Stories.

I didn't care for Ghost Stories, but I don't remember why at this point.

Just watched Hereditary and A Quiet Place. Loved Hereditary more than I thought I would. There's a lot you have to pick up on....even though it was predictable at times. I really enjoyed the unsettling visuals/story and liked that it wasnt a jump scare movie. I just wish there was more to it at the end. Hoping for a sequel. 

A Quiet Place was really lame to me though. In fact I enjoyed Super Troopers 2 more than AQP. 

Someone who buys blurays hook my boy up with a DL code.

Since I've been stuck on the couch recuperating I've just been watching movies for the last few days. As far as horror, I've still got Summer of 84 and The Bird With the Crystal Plumage on deck.

Also, I saw The Nun (Moviepass) and I knew it wouldnt be good...but holy shit it's irredeemable garbage.

10 hours ago, The Butcha said:

I really enjoyed it too. Check out the trailer for Hell Fest. New movie coming soon with a pretty similar preface. 

Yeah, I saw that trailer in front of a few movies this summer. Seems like the same movie, but without the *wink nudge* horror fan stuff and (spoilers for Blood Fest)

It looks like in Hell Fest no one believes there's a real killer, while in Blood Fest it's just right away that everyone is getting killed

So different enough tonally that it could also be fun.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

Been fighting a cold the last few days, gave me some time to knock some things off my watch list

Satan's Slaves - Very well done haunted house / ghost movie.  More creepy and atmospheric than scary.

Trench 11 - Nothing overall special, but I thought it was a decent watch.  Some fun practical effects and an ok story.

Someone's Watching Me - TV movie directed by Carpenter in the late 70s.  Was pretty much was I expected.  Inessential, but not bad for what it was.

Mandy was fucking nuts. I had no idea it was by the same guy who did Beyond the Black Rainbow. I thought I was a little too stoned, but then 5 minutes in I was like "Wait...no way this isn't by the Black Rainbow dude" and realized I wasn't stoned enough.

After the movie they broadcast a live Q&A hosted by Kevin Smith with Nic Cage, the director, and the guy who played the villain. Cage is a legit crazy person.

13 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Mandy was fucking nuts. I had no idea it was by the same guy who did Beyond the Black Rainbow. I thought I was a little too stoned, but then 5 minutes in I was like "Wait...no way this isn't by the Black Rainbow dude" and realized I wasn't stoned enough.

I'm watching it tonight and very stoked.

I watched Slice yesterday and thought it was real fun.  Plot's a bit of a mess and it seems to be a little scatter with ideas, but I found it to be quite enjoyable even with those flaws.  Definitely far on the comedy end of horror-comedy.

13 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Where’s everyone seeing Mandy at?

It played for one showing at my local Regal. The local horror promoter dudes are actually bringing it back for 6 showings next week at one of the arty historic theaters. I might go again. So it's in very limited and random release.

You can rent it on VOD now though.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

It played for one showing at my local Regal. The local horror promoter dudes are actually bringing it back for 6 showings next week at one of the arty historic theaters. I might go again. So it's in very limited and random release.

You can rent it on VOD now though.

Yeah, it's playing at a few of the theaters by me too.  I mostly prefer movies at home, especially now that I'm w/o MoviePass.