The official Horror fan topic

Rip

9 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Climax - I keep seeing this being listed as a horror film and I don't feel like that's accurate.  Either way, it's a pretty wild and hypnotic movie and I enjoyed it immensely.  Some of the visuals in it are so fucking cool.  Definitely seek this one out.

Got this preordered from Amazon UK.  Comes out tomorrow actually so it should be shipping any minute.  Arrow Video is putting it out (basically the Criterion of the UK), so I’m excited to see the whole package.  Love me some Gaspar Noe.

I watched Velvet Buzzsaw yesterday and found it very entertaining. I agree that the dialogue was a little weird in parts, does anyone actually speak that way in real life? Either way the cast was very strong and it was pretty original. I think it's something I'd view again. That one scene with the "sphere" was great, very Kill Bill in the manner of wildly overdramatic gore

Valentine - Kind of what you'd expect, bad post-Scream slasher.  It's very much a product of it's time, but it's fun and stupid.    I highly doubt I'd make watching it a holiday tradition, one watch was probably enough.

My Bloody Valentine - I'd never seen this and loved it.  It's got a cool killer, fun gore and the teenagers are constantly drinking beer.

Trauma - This is a rough one, would fit nicely on a shelf with A Serbian Film.  You'll know exactly what you're in for in the first few minutes.  It's supposed to be based on (or maybe just inspired by) some actual atrocities committed in Chile.  I'm not entirely sure if it was a good movie, but I think it achieves what it's going for.

Final Destination 4 - Didn't enjoy this one much.  Easily the weakest in the series.

Final Destination 5 - Oddly enough, this one was great.  It looked slick and seemed like they threw some money at the CGI.  Mild complaint is that it was in 3D and those effects always seem a little strange in 2D.  The ending is great too.

Ranking the FDs  : 2, 5, 3, 1 4.  Surprisingly fun franchise that I'd mostly written off as they were coming out.

Happy Death Day 2U - There's some cleverness to this one and it doesn't feel too much like a forced sequel.  It seemed to steer away from being a slasher and more into a sci-fi / college comedy movie.  I liked it for the most part, but there's also some diminishing returns here and it does feel a dash more of the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't checked this thread in forever.

You guys see Greta?  I hadn't seen/heard much about it. It's not really being marketed as a horror movie but it definitely is. 

My friend works at a local theater and asked if I wanted to check it out with him on the house after his shift, so I saw it blind today. I fuckin loved it! 

Edited by kylet
typo (do I need a reason to edit my posts now lol)

25 minutes ago, kylet said:

You guys see Greta?  I hadn't seen/heard much about it. It's not really being marketed as a horror movie but it definitely is. 

My friend works at a local theater and asked if I wanted to check it out with him on the house after his shift, so I saw it blind today. I fuckin loved it! 

I was definitely interested in seeing it before, but I really am now.

19 hours ago, kylet said:

It wasn't on my radar at all until I saw a trailer for it before Happy Death Day 2 U and it caught my attention, glad to hear it's good!

This last weekend the wife and I watched:

Piercing

Pulse (2001 original)

Piercing was pretty good.  I love Christopher Abbott and it’s from the director of The Eyes of my Mother.  Only complaint is that it seemed to end just as things were REALLY picking up.  It was a book first, which I read a couple years ago, and I remember it ending somewhat abruptly as well, but not quite as abruptly as the movie.  The book was written by the same guy who wrote Audition (the book before it became the movie) as well.  It’s worth checking out at least.

Pulse was creepy as hell.  I never saw the American remake, which I heard was awful.  But this was great.  Real original idea for the time and everything was executed real well.

Hoping to see Us in the next few weeks, movie came out at a bad time for me, haha.

Here's what I've watched in the last month or so.

Urban Legend - Nothing special, but there were some fun kills in here.  Not too surprising that this franchise was mostly forgotten.

Urban Legends : Final Cut - This was pretty awful.  Tries to be clever and fails badly.

Urban Legends : Bloody Mary - Kind of cheap, but fairly fun.  The bar is low, but I'd say this is probably the most enjoyable UL movie.  We were also drinking Bloody Marys while watching it, which probably helped.

Book of Monsters - I mostly liked this.  It would've benefited from a bigger budget quite a bit.  Decent horror comedy with some cool monsters.

Leprechaun - I'd somehow never seen this.  I got quite a few laughs out of it.  Not Troll 2 bad, but it sits real close.

Slaughterhouse Rulez - Complete waste of potential.  First half is a fairly boring coming of age / boarding school movie.  Second half is where it gets into more of the horror movie territory.  It's got some decent moments, but I don't think the payoff is there.

Blue My Mind  - More of a dark fantasy or coming of age movie with some body horror thrown in.  I thought it was good.

Indigenous - Wouldn't go out of my way to watch this again.  Not really a bad movie, just nothing to remarkable.  Every character is an asshole, so the kills are kind of rewarding due to that. 

Cold Prey - I'm a bit of a sucker for slashers and thought this added a nice survival element to the genre.  I'd recommend it.

Into the Dark : Treehouse - First one that I was a kind of let down by.  Something about how it lets the main character off the hook left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.  The exposition dumps at the end didn't help either.

Level 16  - More sci-fi than horror.    Girlfriend and I both liked it a lot.  Little easy to guess what's going on, but that doesn't take too much away.

5 hours ago, The Butcha said:

Went and saw Us the other day. Really enjoyed it. 

Anyone catch the new Twilight Zone? I enjoyed the first episode a good bit. Gonna check out the second tonight. Also need to get on the first two episodes of What We Do in the Shadows. 

Watched the first episode of Twilight Zone.  Really liked it.  Wasn’t able to get to the second episode yet but gonna fix that soon I hope.

Haven’t watched any What We Do In The Shadows yet.  My wife didn’t like the movie for some reason so the show will have to be one I’ll have to try and find time to watch on my own.

2 hours ago, animelover20 said:

The scariest horror movie to me would have to be the Human Centipede. My friend made me watch it, and I have never been the same. It's probably the craziest movie that I have ever seen. 

Are you an avid horror fan or casual?  Cause I’ll maybe give you “craziest” movie you’ve ever seen, but “scariest?”

On 4/3/2019 at 6:05 PM, Rip said:

Newest Into The Dark was terrible.  Only one so far I’ve been completely disappointed with.

Funny, I liked this one a lot more than the last.  The I'm just fucking with you line did get old after a bit, but the look and Chester's overall weirdness were great.

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

Funny, I liked this one a lot more than the last.  The I'm just fucking with you line did get old after a bit, but the look and Chester's overall weirdness were great.

Chester was definitely the best part of it.  I don’t know.  I guess it had its moments but overall it just fell flat for me.  I didn’t dislike the one before like most people did though.

On 4/4/2019 at 2:18 AM, The Butcha said:

Anyone catch the new Twilight Zone? I enjoyed the first episode a good bit. Gonna check out the second tonight. 

Where do you guys watch this? I’m super interested but I thought it was exclusive to some new subscription thing. I already have Hulu, netflix, shudder, I’m not signing up for another service for one show.