The official Horror fan topic

Rip

3 hours ago, kylet said:

Where do you guys watch this? I’m super interested but I thought it was exclusive to some new subscription thing. I already have Hulu, netflix, shudder, I’m not signing up for another service for one show.

CBS actually put the first episode on YouTube for free.  As for the second episode, I haven’t been able to find it yet.  Haven’t tried for about a week though.  Just try some random streaming sites.

5 hours ago, The Butcha said:

I got a week trail subscription for CBS All Access. Pretty annoying that you have to have a totally separate service to watch this. Hoping they keep adding more to YouTube. 

Yeah it’s really annoying.  Especially since “The Stand” remake show is gonna be on CBS All Access as well.

13 hours ago, Rip said:

CBS actually put the first episode on YouTube for free.  As for the second episode, I haven’t been able to find it yet.  Haven’t tried for about a week though.  Just try some random streaming sites.

I just finished the first episode and loved it. If you find it on a random streaming site help a fellow horror fan out! I wanna watch more! Honestly I’ve sorda fell behind on torrents and streaming sites. With Hulu, Netflix, shudder, Amazon prime, as well as all the channel apps from my cable subscription, haven’t really had a need for a streaming site in years. Seems the couple I used to go to back in the day are dead now.

Edited by kylet

The Field Guide to Evil - Like most anthologies, this was a mixed bag.  Overall I think it was a success and liked it quite a bit.  The first couple were my least favorite, which made me a bit weary for the rest, but was pleasantly surprised by the third and on.  I'd recommend it, especially if you're into foreign cinema (each director is from a different country).

Beyond Re-Animator - Pretty big dud for me.  The best effect was in the first 10 minutes.  Dug the story idea, didn't pan out in execution.  I also think I was probably too hard on Bride and need to re-watch it.

Hellraiser : Hellworld - This was a fairly fun trashy movie that seemed to be riding the post Scream wave a bit (lotta sexy teens in this one).  Probably would've been better if it wasn't a Hellraiser movie and was more of a house of horrors film w/o the cenobites.

Deadly Blessing  - Had a few moments, but I think this would've been almost completely forgotten if Craven hadn't directed it.

I've really liked the first three What We Do episodes.  It's very faithful to the film without feeling derivative.  I've gotten a few really hard laughs out of each one and I'm always happy to see Matt Berry on my TV (this role is perfect for him).

I'm saving Twilight Zone for an upcoming trip and am looking forward to it.  Seems like it's being cast with a lot of people I like and I've heard mostly good things about the first couple episodes.

The Howling - Well executed monster movie.  Reminds me of a more polished version of something you'd see airing late at night.

Double Date - This is a frustrating one.  The last 30 minutes or so are really strong, but it's a slog to get there.  Supposed to be a horror comedy and it fails so hard at the comedy part.  Not sure if the payoff is worth it or not.

Escape Room - I was pretty skeptical about this because the concept seemed dumb and it's PG-13.  Turns out it's real fun and I enjoyed the heck out of it.  Only real complaint is the deaths just kind of happen, they're not really bigger moments.

Day of the Dead - I have some pretty big blind spots in Romero's work and this was one of them.  I liked it, but it kind of pales compared to Dawn.  Savini's effects are well worth the watch alone.

Edited by jonrawks

• 2 weeks later...

Monster Party - This isn't good, but it goes in such weird directions by the third act that it was a really fun and bizarre watch.  Enjoyable beer movie.

Killer Kate! - Total dud.  Bad acting, story, dialogue, etc.

Into The Dark : All That We Destroy - This was a tad too slow overall, but I mostly liked it.  

I've watched the first four episodes of The Twilight Zone and I can't say I love it.  Not really bad, but it's not doing anything that makes it essential watching.  Kind of a just above average show from what I've seen.  Couple episodes are way too damn long as well.  A set 30-40 minute run time would probably be a benefit here.

Couple of duds for me this week.

The Prodigy - The reasoning behind the kid being evil/creepy didn't work for me at all and this became laughably bad by the end.  It looked like it was made by some capable people, but that can only cover up a weak script so much. 

The Ranger - Was really excited about this one and it was a pretty big let down.  All the kids are insufferable assholes to the point where they couldn't get killed fast enough.  Unfortunately, it takes about 45 minutes for anything to start happening.  Some cool practical effects are about all this had going for it.  Even at 77 minutes, it felt too long.

14 minutes ago, Rip said:

Finally watched the first 3 episodes of the “What We Do In The Shadows” show and holy shit.  I was laughing so hard.  So glad it’s as good as it is.  Pretty sure it got renewed for a second season as well!

The two newest episodes are so good. Some characters from the movie are in it plus Paul Reubens makes an appearance as his character from Buffy.

I've really enjoyed What We Do as well.  The Trial was kind of a dud episode for me, but mainly because I don't think cameos as a joke work very well and that episode leaned real hard into that.  Past that, been a pretty consistent laugh factory for me. 

Devil Hunter - If you've got a soft spot for bad dubs and schlocky exploitation films,  this might be up your alley.  It was entertaining, but would probably be more fun with a small crowd.

The Perfection - This one threw me.  I went in with very little knowledge and for the first half I kept thinking that it was a pretty solid film and then it gets ridiculous and convoluted and very fun.  It set my expectations up as one thing and then  goes in such a wild direction, really didn't expect it.  It has a hell of an ending as well.  Not sure if I'd call it a good film, but I liked it a lot.  Especially now that I've had the night to think about it more.

Soft Matter - I feel like this would've been something that would've fit in well on the  weirder end of the Adult Swim lineup.  If you're into they're really strange stuff, you'd probably like this.

Without Name - Didn't care for this.  It was well shot and acted, but I feel like it's the same type psychological horror that I've seen a dozen times before.  

House of Voices - I mostly liked this, but I wouldn't say I loved it.  It was a bit more of a slow burn that I was in the mood for, so I found my mind wandering a little too much.  Kind of reminds me of something Del Toro would've done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went and saw “Ma” this past weekend.

I really enjoyed it.  The dialogue was a little cringey here and there, but other than that, it was a fun watch.  Definitely took it to some unexpected places every once in a while and the twists were good.  Definitely recommend if you’re wanting to see something different.

All Hallows' Eve - Have to thank @The Butcha for mentioning this one.  I assumed Terrifier was the first movie he directed.  Anyway, it's mostly the last segment and the wrap around stuff that were great, but it's worth a watch just for that.  The Art story in this is pretty savage and nasty, even more so than what was in Terrifier.

Starfish - Far from perfect, but I thought this was a pretty interesting movie.  It's great visually and Virginia Gardener does a good job carrying it (it's pretty much just her).  Probably a little too abstract for it's own good and has some pretty big unexpected shifts, makes it a little hard to follow.  Definitely cool to see a newer director take some big swings, even if they don't always hit.

Hellraiser : Revelation - Easily the worst of the sequels.  Oddly, it's also the most faithful in terms of working on the foundation of the original.

Dog Soldiers - This was really fun when it was soldier on werewolf action.  Past that, I found myself getting a little bored with the plot.

Us - It's tough for me to get to the theater, so I missed this during it's run.  I can say it was well worth the wait.  Such a well crafted movie.

The Twilight Zone : Season 1 - My original thoughts on this still stand for the most part.  Additionally, I noticed that the metaphors on some are so obvious that it's a bit insulting and in one episode, the narrator even spells it out at the end.  On the plus side, the finale was really good and has me a bit more hopeful for the second season.  I'd say that the first three episodes and the last were good to great and the rest were pretty sub-par. 

Went out to the Portland Horror Film Fest last night. Got to meet Mick Garris which was super rad. And they premiered his new anthology horror film Nightmare Cinema which is fucking awesome. I think it’ll be out on shudder sometime in the near future. Reborn was also another feature film that was a really fun watch. Maybe 8 or 9 short films throughout the night. All for $18. Hell of a good night. 

Got quite a bit watched in the last week or so  (girlfriend out of town gave me a lot of time to kill)

Head Count - This  was a fun Friday night beer movie.  Quality-wise, it felt like something that would've fit as an Into The Dark episode.

Deep Murder - I turned this off about 25 minutes in.  It's attempts  at  humor were insultingly bad.  I'm also not sure why this is being marketed as a  horror comedy.  Based on what  I watched, it was more of a murder mystery  comedy.

The Beast Within - Kind of a practical effects hidden gem.  If you're into creature features and/or practical effects, check it out.  It's a little light on plot and a dash slow at times, but not so much that it drags the movie down overall.

Trapped Alive - Might be a fun bad movie watch as a group I suppose, definitely not worth your time for solo viewing.

Black Mirror S05 - I've mostly disliked the Netflix seasons of this and these three  episodes don't do anything to change that.  Only one episode seems fairly faithful to what the series is, the other two feel pretty out of place.

Gretta - I thought this was fun, but very flawed.  A lot of things fall apart if you think about  it too much.  This was my GF and I's beer movie last Friday and  it fit well for that.  

The Cleaning Lady - This  one took my by surprise.  It was really dull and living in Lifetime movie land for the first 30 minutes and then it gets vicious and dark.   Minor qualm is that one of the actors leaves a lot to be desired.  Overall,  I'd recommend it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 10:45 AM, Rip said:

Just got out of “Midsommer.”  Goddamn that was good.  Ari Aster is currently the king of uncomfortable/unsettling imagery.

I liked it, but I don't think it packed quite the punch that Hereditary did.  Good follow up for sure and I'm excited to see what he's going to do next.

• 2 weeks later...

Most recent “Into The Dark” was absolutely the worst one yet.  I mean... none of the “episodes” are amazing.  But almost all of them are at least entertaining and fun to watch. I can’t think of a single redeeming thing about this one.  MAYBE Barbara Crampton being in it, but even then, it’s not like she played a super big part.