The official Horror fan topic

Rip

Anyone pre-order the Scream Factory Friday the 13th boxset that was announced this week?

Note- I think it's been cheaper in other stores, but this direct from Shout Factory and has exclusive bonus items.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/friday-the-13th-collection-deluxe-edition?product_id=7444

• 2 weeks later...

I watched The Rental last weekend and thought it was great!  Builds and maintains tension very well.  The cast is solid and it has a heck of a third act.

I also worked my way through Ari Aster's short films over the last 2-3 weeks.  They all have a fairly short runtime, I mostly wanted to space them out.   About half of them have a horror story base, but are played as very dark comedies..]

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lexicondevil said:

Yep. Had no idea what to expect, and even if I did I still would have been thinking WTF? I will need to watch again sometime.

Same here. First time I watched it I had no idea what to expect, and holy shit was it awesome. Still fucking crazy and I’ve seen it a few more times 

Flannigan's work is mostly miss for me, but I thought The Haunting of Hill House was excellent and I'm really looking forward to Bly Manor.  That long shot will be really hard to top, haha.  For some reason, I thought the project was in the early stages of production still.  Was very pleasantly surprised to see it'll be out so soon!

23 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Flannigan's work is mostly miss for me, but I thought The Haunting of Hill House was excellent and I'm really looking forward to Bly Manor.  That long shot will be really hard to top, haha.  For some reason, I thought the project was in the early stages of production still.  Was very pleasantly surprised to see it'll be out so soon!

Whaaat?  Man I love every single thing Flannigan has done so far.

3 hours ago, Rip said:

Whaaat?  Man I love every single thing Flannigan has done so far.

I've seen everything from Hush on and that's the only one I've really liked.  I've been meaning to watch some of his earlier films that I'd missed.  Haven't written him off as a director, his projects mostly don't really get me excited though.

15 hours ago, Rip said:

Absentia is really great.  First movie of his I saw.  Oculus is pretty good as well.  Like... yeah I can genuinely say I enjoy all of his stuff.  Probably my favorite current horror director.  You didn’t like Doctor Sleep??

I'll check out Absentia over the long weekend, seems like a good way to spend part of the long weekend!  I thought Doctor Sleep was pretty boring and way too long. 

I'm Thinking of Ending Things was pretty nuts.  It's for sure creepy as hell but the book leaned more into the horror elements than the film did.  So anyone going into it thinking it's a straight "horror-fest" will probably be disappointed.  Also, if you weren't a fan of Charlie Kaufman before seeing this, it's probably not going to change your mind.  You can for sure tell this is one of his movies.  Especially in the second half.

23 hours ago, Rip said:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things was pretty nuts.  It's for sure creepy as hell but the book leaned more into the horror elements than the film did.  So anyone going into it thinking it's a straight "horror-fest" will probably be disappointed.  Also, if you weren't a fan of Charlie Kaufman before seeing this, it's probably not going to change your mind.  You can for sure tell this is one of his movies.  Especially in the second half.

I liked it quite a bit and agree with you on how it's less of a horror work than the book was.  I watched it Friday evening and am still trying to figure out how I feel about the ending too.  I'm not quite sure if it conveyed it well or not.  I'll probably need to sit down and revisit the last 20 minutes a few more times.  The casting was pretty perfect and this might be a  top 5 Toni Collette performance, she was SO good.  Overall, I liked it quite a bit and think it's another solid entry into Kaufman's filmography.  The 4:3 aspect ratio really gave it a claustrophobic feel, nice touch there.

3 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I liked it quite a bit and agree with you on how it's less of a horror work than the book was.  I watched it Friday evening and am still trying to figure out how I feel about the ending too.  I'm not quite sure if it conveyed it well or not.  I'll probably need to sit down and revisit the last 20 minutes a few more times.  The casting was pretty perfect and this might be a  top 5 Toni Collette performance, she was SO good.  Overall, I liked it quite a bit and think it's another solid entry into Kaufman's filmography.  The 4:3 aspect ratio really gave it a claustrophobic feel, nice touch there.

After reading this, I enjoyed the movie even more.  Does a really good job of explaining some things: https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/charlie-kaufman-explains-im-thinking-of-ending-things-1234584492/

3 hours ago, Rip said:

After reading this, I enjoyed the movie even more.  Does a really good job of explaining some things: https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/charlie-kaufman-explains-im-thinking-of-ending-things-1234584492/

Ah cool, I'll give that a read with my coffee tomorrow!  I think I'm also trying to project the book's ending onto the movie a bit and need to let it be it's own thing.

3 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Ah cool, I'll give that a read with my coffee tomorrow!  I think I'm also trying to project the book's ending onto the movie a bit and need to let it be it's own thing.

Yeah I felt the same way.  Once you’re able to separate them it’s very easy to appreciate and enjoy them both on their own.