The official Horror fan topic

Rip

On 9/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, hxcoliver said:

Has anyone started on their list of horror movies for October? 

I've got a small list going.  I'm going to do 31 movies again this  year.  Usually try to do a mix of favorites, older things I haven't seen and some new releases.   This  is what I've got currently.

Scanners
Mockingbird
Occulus
Something Romero
Something Carpenter
Something Craven
Flatliners
Cujo
The Lost Boys
The House by the Cemetery

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I've got a small list going.  I'm going to do 31 movies again this  year.  Usually try to do a mix of favorites, older things I haven't seen and some new releases.   This  is what I've got currently.

Scanners
Mockingbird
Occulus
Something Romero
Something Carpenter
Something Craven
Flatliners
Cujo
The Lost Boys
The House by the Cemetery

Never heard of mockingbird. I’ll have to look that up. My buddy and I were working on a list the otter night, we’re trying to get to 31 of movies either him, his wife, or I haven’t seen. If all 3 of us have seen it, not going on the list even if it’s a classic. 

16 hours ago, Rip said:

I personally really enjoyed Mockingbird.  Pretty sure most people hated it though.

I hadn't heard of it until recently.  Curiosity for The Dark and The Wicked had me on Bertino's IMDb page and made me realize there was a movie of his I hadn't seen.   Figure it'd be a good one to save for October!

Edited by jonrawks

• 3 weeks later...

Had a lot of fun with week 1!  This year I mapped out the whole month with a blank spot each week for a newer release.  Seems to work better than trying to figure out something to watch every night, haha

1. Critters / Critters 2 double feature
2. Phantasm
3. The House by the Cemetery
4. The Slumber Party Massacre
5. Oculus
6. Scanners
7. Tokyo Home Stay Massacre

5 hours ago, Rip said:

What’d you end up thinking of Occulus??

I enjoyed it quite a bit!  There are some nitpicky things that I didn't like, but overall I thought it was a pretty good.  The way the past and present crossed over reminded me of Hill House at times.   Starting to think maybe it's just his King adaptations I don't like.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Damn really?  I thought his adaptation for Gerald’s Game was perfect.

I watched it right  around when it came out and don't remember caring for it much.  I will give it credit for being a pretty faithful adaptation of a book that was seemingly unadaptable.  I also really didn't like the ending of the book and the movie takes a hit because of that too.  Carla Gugino was perfect casting though!

52 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

I'm genuinely trying to give The Haunting of Bly Manor a chance, and I'm four episodes in, but I can't help but feel let down so far. I don't enjoy it as much as the first season :(

It’s slow to get going, but honestly, episode 5-onward is just amazing.  Do I think it’s better than the first season?  No.  But I also don’t think it’s fair to compare them.  As similar as they are, the stories are too different.

I just finished the last episode of Bly Manor.

I enjoyed the beginning and the end but I just felt lost through episodes 5 and 6. I don't want to spoil anything but I feel like the middle went off course without explanation. The ending was satisfying.

The story was good but not as scary as Hill House. I think the pacing would be better if it was five or six episodes instead of nine. 

2 hours ago, Han Solo said:

I'm genuinely trying to give The Haunting of Bly Manor a chance, and I'm four episodes in, but I can't help but feel let down so far. I don't enjoy it as much as the first season :(

I’m five in and feeling so meh about it. It’s not scary at all. Like maybe only 1 creepy moment after 5 episodes is super disappointing. 

Edited by museummouth

30 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Anybody watch any of the Welcome to Blumhouse movies that came out on Amazon? A couple went up last week and I think two more today. Might fire one up tonight. 

I haven't yet, but I'm hoping to watch at least a few of them before the month is over.

Regarding Bly Manor, I'm sharing similar feelings as most of you.  I watched episode 3 last night and feel pretty underwhelmed so far.  It's interesting enough that I'll watch it al the way through, but I can't say I'm dying to start the next episode.

2 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Regarding Bly Manor, I'm sharing similar feelings as most of you.  I watched episode 3 last night and feel pretty underwhelmed so far.  It's interesting enough that I'll watch it al the way through, but I can't say I'm dying to start the next episode.

I'm two episodes in and am enjoying it although they seem to be juggling a bit too many elements at the moment.  I think it helps that I'm using it as kind of a start to my Halloween/horror movie watching experience this year - if I had started with some of the horror movies I have in my cue, I think I might be bored/impatient with it, but as an appetizer it's serving its purpose.  It doesn't help that I'm not very impressed with performance of the actress playing Dani.

Edited by dawhizz

2 hours ago, Rip said:

How was Mockingbird?  As good as I remembered or as bad as everyone else thinks it is?  Haha

I would say more on the bad side, haha.  I appreciated that it was a cam movie because that was baked into the plot (and not just a way to make it on the cheap)  and the clown's story was pretty fun.  It didn't feel like a lot happened in the other two stories and the 'challenges' never seemed clear.  There were also parts where it was so damn hard to tell what was going on due to the camera work.   Decent idea, poor execution.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:19 PM, Han Solo said:

Okay I retract this statement a little bit ! The ending was pretty solid.