The Official Horror Thread

Rip

6 hours ago, jonrawks said:

Watched Evil Eye (Welcome to the Blumhouse) last night and thought it was a perfectly acceptable way to fill a Sunday evening.  It's not doing anything too new and plays out pretty much how you think it will, but it's made well.  Sunita Mani is great as always.

Wife and I watched The Lie the other day and it... wasn't great haha.  She kept saying it was more like a Lifetime movie.  It also wasn't horror-related in the least.  It was a "thriller" at best.

36 minutes ago, Rip said:

Wife and I watched The Lie the other day and it... wasn't great haha.  She kept saying it was more like a Lifetime movie.  It also wasn't horror-related in the least.  It was a "thriller" at best.

There's definitely some Lifetime vibes in Evil Eye as well!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 11:11 PM, Han Solo said:

Okay I retract this statement a little bit ! The ending was pretty solid. 

I just finished Bly Manor last night and it was . . . fine.  I stand by my earlier assessment that there were just too many elements in the story that didn't ultimately really factor into the story, and the framing sequence really didn't work for me (she just told a 10 hour story?).  I respect what they were trying to do, but thought it could have been more effective with some editing and simplification.

Finally got around to starting some horror movies last night.  Started with We Are Still Here on Amazon Prime based on the fact that I didn't have a lot of time and it's 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it didn't really connect for me. 

Others on my list that I'm hoping to get through in the next two weeks:

1BR

The Girl With All the Gifts

Under the Shadow

Climax

House of the Devil

The Houses October Built

Rec

Bone Tomahawk

High Life

The Lighthouse

Triangle

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Who else would watch this every year when Bravo would air it around this time?  So happy someone put up a super-cut of the whole thing on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILpgm6Kkag

I'd never seen that,  but I'm such a sucker for that style of 'documentary'.

24 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Finally got around to starting some horror movies last night.  Started with We Are Still Here on Amazon Prime based on the fact that I didn't have a lot of time and it's 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, but it didn't really connect for me. 

I'd watched that and have absolutely no memory of it.  Usually means it wasn't  so bad that I hated it and wasn't good  enough that it left any sort  of positive impression  (or I feel asleep during it).

Finished Bly Manor last  night and think  it was mostly a dud.  The 8th episode was fantastic though and is probably the only one that matched Hill House's quality.  As a few people have mentioned, it would've been better if it was 5-6 episodes.  I don't think the uncle's episode was needed at all and the valet's story was kind of a bore too.  Focusing solely on the main four and the two kids would've helped a lot.  The biggest issue for me is that I didn't really care what happened to anyone.  Think this type of story only works if you're invested in the characters and here I just wasn't.

Here was my week 4 watch list.  Thinking of doing a mini-marathon on Saturday since I have nothing else to do

22. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
23. Phantasm IV : Oblivion
24. Opera
25. Prom Night
26. All Hallows' Eve 2 (didn't realize Damien Leone wasn't involved in this and was severely disappointed)
27. The Crazies
28. Bad Hair

12 hours ago, jonrawks said:

25. Prom Night

Did you watch the 1980 version or the 2008 version?

I watched both in the past week or so.

I liked the old one but the copy that was on Prime was so fuzzy and dark that I would find myself distracted by how poor the picture quality was. I get that HD wasn't a thing then, and it's a fairly low-budget Canadian film, but it looks like someone played a VHS tape on an old TV, filmed it with a camcorder, and then uploaded it. I liked the story though and it was generally entertaining and well done.

I found the 2008 version to be very straightforward, predictable and boring. 

Edited by Subdomestic
Autocorrect

2 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

Did you watch the 1980 version or the 2008 version?

I watched the 1980 version.   I thought I hadn't seen it before, but everything seemed just familiar enough where I must have at some point.  It was fun seeing Leslie Nielsen in a serious role.  I haven't seen the remake, but I'm sure I will at some point.  I'll keep my expectations low haha

The Prom Night sequel is one of my favorite horror sequels of all-time.

Jacob’s Ladder was the movie last night.  Haven’t watched It in years and man that really holds up.  So good.

Mothman Prophecy was the movie tonight.  Never saw it before and it was okay at best. I fell asleep on and off too so that didn’t help.

Hope y'all had a good halloween!  I decided to make a day of it.  Ordered a pizza, drank a nice selection of beer and watched a bunch of movies.  Don't remember the last time I had such an unproductive day, pretty fun and very relaxing!

29. From Beyond
30. Phantasm : Ravager
31.  Friday the 13th part VI : Jason Lives / A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 : Freddy's Revenge /  Shaun of the Dead / Trick 'R Treat / Halloween (2018) / WNUF Halloween Special

I watched Us last night and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I even breathed during the scenes where the doubles first show up, get into the house and Red "introduces" them. So tense. So well done.

Otherwise my last couple weeks of movie watching has been a little all over the place. I have watched Friday the 13th 1-8, Body Count (1986), Prom Night (1980 and 2008), Waxwork, House, Amityville Horror (1979 and 2005) and I'm sure there are others I am forgetting 

Edited by Subdomestic

7 hours ago, Rip said:

Was my first time seeing the directors cut of E3 and man it was so good.  Probably cemented it as one of my favorite horror movies.  Brad Dourif is a god.

I've been thinking about how I need to rewatch The Exorcist a lot lately.  Haven't seen it since whenever the DVD came out.  I haven't seen the sequels, but I've always been real curious about III.  I see it mentioned regularly enough that I feel like I'm missing out on something haha

1 hour ago, jonrawks said:

I've been thinking about how I need to rewatch The Exorcist a lot lately.  Haven't seen it since whenever the DVD came out.  I haven't seen the sequels, but I've always been real curious about III.  I see it mentioned regularly enough that I feel like I'm missing out on something haha

DO NOT watch the 2nd one.  It’s one of the worst horror sequels ever made.  Make a double feature out of the 1st one followed by the 3rd.  The 3rd is the true direct sequel to the 1st one anyway.  It was the actual follow up written by the writer of the first one.

3 hours ago, Rip said:

Anyone here actually see Antebellum?  Hasn’t been reviewed very well on IMDb but I didn’t know if it was actually worth picking up to check out today.

I would say the 5.5 IMDB rating is probably a bit generous.  There are some cool ideas there, but the execution is really bad.

• Rip changed the title to The Official Horror Thread