The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

So stoked for that.  Might just wait and buy the physical next month.  I loved Anti-Viral a lot so I’ve been looking forward to this for a while.

Anti-Viral has been on my to-watch list for a few years and still haven't gotten around to it for whatever reason!

I watched Antrum : The Deadliest Film Ever Made last night and liked it quite a bit!  Part fake documentary, part 70s surreal occult horror.  Think my only real complaints are that the movie part of it drags a little bit and I would've liked more of the fake doc.

Edit : It's on Amazon Prime streaming

Edited by jonrawks

I watched May the Devil Take You Too over the weekend and thought it was a fun way to kill some time on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  I'd say calling it an Indonesian Evil Dead may be selling it a bit short, but it's pretty clear that's the biggest influence.  I vaguely remember the first one being very Evil Dead-ish as well.  

On 10/30/2020 at 11:02 PM, Rip said:

The Prom Night sequel is one of my favorite horror sequels of all-time.

I watched Prom Night 2 yesterday and really enjoyed it. Checked a lot of boxes for a classic 80s teen horror movie and was more fun than the original.

Also I recently watched The Witch and Hereditary. Both were excellent.

The attention to detail really drew me into The Witch. Everything to make it so authentic to the time period made it more immersive when spooky things happened.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:57 AM, Subdomestic said:

I see that Prime is having a Black Friday promo with Shudder discounted to $2.99 (CAD) monthly for three months. Is there enough good content to give it a go?

The idea of having some different stuff to watch during the downtime over the holidays certainly is appealing 

I would think so!  Between Shudder originals and the other library content, I'm sure you can find enough to watch to make it worth your while.  Looks like Revenge is on there and that alone is probably worth $2.99!

On 11/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, Subdomestic said:

I see that Prime is having a Black Friday promo with Shudder discounted to $2.99 (CAD) monthly for three months. Is there enough good content to give it a go?

The idea of having some different stuff to watch during the downtime over the holidays certainly is appealing 

Shudder is soooo worth it. Their originals are all pretty decent too and there’s a good amount of more obscure lesser known stuff on there thats worth a watch. 

I watched Freaky last night.  It was pretty fun and made for a perfect Friday night movie.  Kathryn Newton and Vince Vaughn were both really good playing the swapped versions, Vaughn as a teenage girl cracked me up.  Wouldn't say it's as good as Happy Death Day, but probably a bit better than the sequel.

On a side note, I'm entirely sure how much longer Landon can keep doing story telling device + slasher without it getting a bit old. 

6 hours ago, jonrawks said:

I watched Freaky last night.  It was pretty fun and made for a perfect Friday night movie.  Kathryn Newton and Vince Vaughn were both really good playing the swapped versions, Vaughn as a teenage girl cracked me up.  Wouldn't say it's as good as Happy Death Day, but probably a bit better than the sequel.

On a side note, I'm entirely sure how much longer Landon can keep doing story telling device + slasher without it getting a bit old. 

But was it better than The Hot Chick??

• 2 weeks later...

The Dark and the Wicked came out on blu-ray/DVD yesterday so I picked it up and the wife and I watched it last night.  Creepy as hell.  I personally loved The Strangers, thought Mockingbird was enjoyable, and haven’t seen The Monster yet (even though I own it), so I was excited to see what the director could come up with next.

I think it’s for sure his best movie yet.  Incredibly tense atmosphere throughout with a real heavy constant feeling of dread.  It’s distributed by Shudder so for those who have that, if it’s not on there yet I imagine it will be in the next couple months.  Was only $12 for the blu-ray at Best Buy though and it was worth every penny.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

The Dark and the Wicked came out on blu-ray/DVD yesterday so I picked it up and the wife and I watched it last night.  Creepy as hell.  I personally loved The Strangers, thought Mockingbird was enjoyable, and haven’t seen The Monster yet (even though I own it), so I was excited to see what the director could come up with next.

I think it’s for sure his best movie yet.  Incredibly tense atmosphere throughout with a real heavy constant feeling of dread.  It’s distributed by Shudder so for those who have that, if it’s not on there yet I imagine it will be in the next couple months.  Was only $12 for the blu-ray at Best Buy though and it was worth every penny.

I really liked The Monster.  I watched The Dark and the Wicked on a Friday after having some drinks with a friend it was very much not a good I've had a few beers movie.  I plan on giving it a re-watch the next time I'm in the mood for a slow burn.

7 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I really liked The Monster.  I watched The Dark and the Wicked on a Friday after having some drinks with a friend it was very much not a good I've had a few beers movie.  I plan on giving it a re-watch the next time I'm in the mood for a slow burn.

Aww man.  Yeah you gotta sit down and give that one some attention.  It deserves it.

You get a chance to check out Noroi: The Curse yet??

• 3 weeks later...