The official Horror fan topic

Rip

On 1/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, radiatorhums said:

Anything For Jackson  was really good.  I went in with some fairly low expectations, mostly due to the generic cover art, and found myself hooked almost immediately.  It's on Shudder.

Anything For Jackson was surprisingly good. If you liked that watch The Cleansing Hour on Shudder too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a handful of things over the last few weeks.

Noroi :  The Curse - Mostly enjoyed this.  Found footage portrayed as a documentary works really well.  The only real negative is that it's too long for what it is and overstays it's welcome.

Hunted - It doesn't do anything too new with the 'person being hunted in the woods' genre, but it's not necessarily bad.  It's on Shudder and was an ok way to waste part of an afternoon, but that's about all the praise I can give it.

I also watched the remakes of Castle Freak and Rabid.  Castle Freak is the worst of the two, but neither of them really need to exist and should be skipped in favor of rewatching the originals.

Couple non-horror movies I liked were Promising Young Woman and Synchronic.

7 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Watched a handful of things over the last few weeks.

Noroi :  The Curse - Mostly enjoyed this.  Found footage portrayed as a documentary works really well.  The only real negative is that it's too long for what it is and overstays it's welcome.

Hunted - It doesn't do anything too new with the 'person being hunted in the woods' genre, but it's not necessarily bad.  It's on Shudder and was an ok way to waste part of an afternoon, but that's about all the praise I can give it.

I also watched the remakes of Castle Freak and Rabid.  Castle Freak is the worst of the two, but neither of them really need to exist and should be skipped in favor of rewatching the originals.

Couple non-horror movies I liked were Promising Young Woman and Synchronic.

That was my only complaint about Noroi as well.  Absolutely love it but it is a bit long, so I understand.  I also watched Promising Young Woman!  So damn good.

How was Synchronic?  Loves those guys’ 2 previous movies so I’m pretty stoked for this.

15 hours ago, Rip said:

How was Synchronic?  Loves those guys’ 2 previous movies so I’m pretty stoked for this.

Same here!  I didn't enjoy Synchronic as much as the last two, but I still liked it a fair amount.  I think there's some value in a rewatch too and plan on that at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saint Maud out on Epix today.  Reminder that you can do a 7 day free trial and cancel it any time.  Gonna watch this tomorrow for sure.

Also, Willy’s Wonderland (pretty much Five Nights at Freddy’s: The Movie, starring Nicholas Cage) is out on demand today.  Probably won’t get to this one anytime soon but I do want to see it.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Saint Maud out on Epix today.  Reminder that you can do a 7 day free trial and cancel it any time.  Gonna watch this tomorrow for sure.

Also, Willy’s Wonderland (pretty much Five Nights at Freddy’s: The Movie, starring Nicholas Cage) is out on demand today.  Probably won’t get to this one anytime soon but I do want to see it.

I really liked Saint Maud!  It's another solid addition to the A24 horror lineup.  I think you'll like it.

Willy's Wonderland is going to be my Friday night beer movie, seems perfect for that.  Guessing it won't be good, but I bet it'll be entertaining as hell.

Saint Maud was great.  Short and sweet too.  That hour and a half flew by.  Definitely recommend it.

Also watched the newest Into the Dark movie “Tentacles” on Hulu.  Had its moments but it was just okay for the most part.  Wife and I actually haven’t watched any of the Into the Dark movies since the Thanksgiving 2019 episode.  Only reason we wanted to watch this one is because Nick Antosca wrote it.

I felt similarly about Tentacles.  Wasn't a terrible way to spend part of an evening, but I couldn't see myself watching it again or giving it much of a recommendation.

Willy's Wonderland was actually pretty good!  I was expecting something bad, but fun and was pleasantly surprised when it was decent.  Definitely a solid Friday night movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had much time or energy to watch many movies while my kids' school was on extended closure due to Covid but now they're out of the house during the weekdays again. In the last couple of months I watched...

Crystal Lake Memories. Took me a few days to get through this beast of a documentary but I loved it. I am a big fan of the (first six) Friday the 13th movies and really enjoyed this inside look at things. 

Sleepaway Camp. Went into this expecting an F13 ripoff, unaware of the "notorious" ending. Pretty ho-hum up to those last few minutes which I don't think I can ever un-see.

The Burning. Another F13 ripoff but more entertaining than Sleepaway Camp. Not overly noteworthy other than it features a young Jason Alexander. Fun but kind of unremarkable. Scratched the itch of wanting to watch a made in the 80's F13 clone.

Nightmare Cinema. An anthology movie where each character finds themselves inside a short horror movie after entering a theatre.  A little uneven and Mickey Rourke was super weird as the projectionist but it was good and I'd watch it again. My favourite short was the one with Elizabeth Reaser from Haunting of Hill House.

Super Dark Times. Teen movie where one kid dies accidentally and the paranoia within the group of survivors causes havoc. Well done but more suspenseful than horror.

Summer of 84. Another teen movie with a mystery suspect. I kept thinking "No, it can't be. That's too obvious" but I was right. I found I was waiting for a twist that never showed up. The ending was good however. I would recommend this one.

Lately I've been working through some of the Last Drive-In stuff on Shudder and loving it.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, Subdomestic said:

Nightmare Cinema. An anthology movie where each character finds themselves inside a short horror movie after entering a theatre.  A little uneven and Mickey Rourke was super weird as the projectionist but it was good and I'd watch it again. My favourite short was the one with Elizabeth Reaser from Haunting of Hill House.

If you like anthologies, I'd recommend The Mortuary Collection.  It's probably the best one from 2020.  It's on Shudder.

The final shot in Sleepaway Camp is unforgettable!  If you've got a fondness for bad slasher sequels, Sleepaway Camp 2 is a pretty fun watch as well.  I want to say 3 is entertaining too, but I don't remember for sure.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, radiatorhums said:

If you like anthologies, I'd recommend The Mortuary Collection.  It's probably the best one from 2020.  It's on Shudder.

I do like anthologies and I watched this one yesterday. Really liked the third story about the guy with the sick wife - that elevator scene was awesome! Also really enjoyed the twist in the final story and closing scene.  Good recommendation!

32 minutes ago, Subdomestic said:

I do like anthologies and I watched this one yesterday. Really liked the third story about the guy with the sick wife - that elevator scene was awesome! Also really enjoyed the twist in the final story and closing scene.  Good recommendation!

Glad you enjoyed it!

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Honeydew yesterday and thought it was overall pretty good.   I really liked how it looked and built atmosphere.  It's a pretty slow burn and right about when I felt myself getting a bit bored, it starts to pay off.   I'd recommend it.

Edited by radiatorhums

On 4/3/2021 at 7:32 AM, Subdomestic said:

Anybody watch the new episode of Creepshow yet? I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. First story felt like a riff on the first Creepshow movie but the second story was fantastic.

I also started working through "In Search of Darkness" and I'm in 80's horror movie heaven. 

Haven't watched Creepshow yet, hopefully later today!

In Search of Darkness II is supposed to hit Shudder at the end of the month as well.

Another great episode of Creepshow this week!

Continuing my love of 80's horror and anthology movies,  I also watched:

Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker: Ok but pretty forgettable in the kills department, pretty messed up in the story department. 

Don't Panic: I don't remember how I managed to pick out this movie. It was bad. Like, really bad but not quite "so bad it's good" territory.  I can't figure out if parts of it were intentionally funny or what exactly they were going for. So many goofy montages, the love interest's unibrow, the main character running around in dinosaur jammies, the bad dubbing, and the lamest sex scene I have ever seen in a horror movie. Post-pandemic this is may be the kind of movie that you want to get really drunk and watch with friends and have a laugh. That's the kindest thing I can say about Don't Panic.

Body Bags: Loved it. Nice three story anthology with John Carpenter as the "host". So many cameos in this. Perfect palate cleanser after the other two movies.

Watched a few movies over the last week.

Violation - Mentioning because it's on Shudder, it's a revenge thriller as opposed to a horror movie.  It's a really slow burn and a tad confusing for the first 10-15 minutes, would've benefited from the tiniest amount of hand holding.  I loved how this looked and thought Madeleine Sims-Fewer was great.  It gets real uncomfortable in the middle, which I think was the goal.  I mostly liked it.

Stay Out of the Attic - This wasn't good, but it was entertaining enough that I stuck with it.  A lot of real bad acting drags it down and the plot synopsis spoils what could've been some fun surprises.

Rush Week - Fairly forgettable late 80s "who's the killer" slasher.  There's some fun to be had here, but I can't really say anyone should go too far out of their way to watch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody get tickets to the Joe Bob Drive-In Jamboree event in July? I had 3 cars worth of friends planning to go. They already got a hotel room, got off work. I was the only one able to get tickets. It sold out in seconds. I feel very excited and very guilty!

https://www.mahoningdit.com/joe-bobs-drive-in-jamboree

On 4/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, kylet said:

Anybody get tickets to the Joe Bob Drive-In Jamboree event in July? I had 3 cars worth of friends planning to go. They already got a hotel room, got off work. I was the only one able to get tickets. It sold out in seconds. I feel very excited and very guilty!

https://www.mahoningdit.com/joe-bobs-drive-in-jamboree

I bet that'll be a blast!