The official Horror fan topic

Rip

6 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I bet that'll be a blast!

So after an hour of frustratingly trying 2 of my friends got tickets to Friday and Saturday, but Sunday was sold out. The other 4 didn't have any luck at all. I luckily got right in and got GA tickets for all 3 days. I guess years of going for Mondo drops and other rare stuff that sells out in seconds thought me a trick or two lol. 

I'm super excited. I'm staying 20 minutes from Vegan Treats in Bethlehem, PA (the best vegan bake shop I've ever had. I've been vegan 15+ years and toured the country eating many vegan goodies along the way. Vegan treats in on another level). So I'll be hitting that up each morning lol. 

15 hours ago, kylet said:

I'm super excited. I'm staying 20 minutes from Vegan Treats in Bethlehem, PA (the best vegan bake shop I've ever had. I've been vegan 15+ years and toured the country eating many vegan goodies along the way. Vegan treats in on another level). So I'll be hitting that up each morning lol. 

I've been vegan for about 10  years and tracking down all the good vegan places is one of my favorite parts of traveling.

10 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I've been vegan for about 10  years and tracking down all the good vegan places is one of my favorite parts of traveling.

Hell yeah. If you've ever gotten a vegan desert anywhere in the greater Philly area, good chance Vegan treats made it.  They bake daily and deliver to TONS of restaurants/cafes/shops/etc. They're rated one of the best bakeries in the country both vegan and non. If you haven't already, definitely check them out on your next east coast trip. 

https://www.vegantreats.com/

Bethlehem, PA is in the middle of nowhere. I don't ever pass it when going from Buffalo, to Philly or Pittsburgh. So I've only been to Vegan treats once. I'm very excited to get it 3 days in a row lol.

Edited by kylet

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched Fear Street Part 1 : 1994, Till Death and Werewolves Within over the weekend.  None are must-see, but I enjoyed all three enough to give them light recommendations.

I was pleasantly surprised with how good Fear Street pt. 1 was.  I mean, I never read any of the books so had no idea what I was getting into, but I had a good time with it.  Loved the “90’s” setting too.  Preview for pt. 2 looks like it’s going to pretty great as well so I’m super stoked for that.

Waxwork is doing a “deluxe 3xLP” set for the soundtrack of all 3 so I’m excited for that too.

I liked Fear Street Part 2 quite a bit.  Maybe not as much as the first, but I don't feel like there was any real quality dip.   Ready for part 3!

Think my biggest complaint with the two is that they go HARD with licensed music from the era for the first 30 minutes and it's gets annoying fast.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, radiatorhums said:

I watched Fear Street Part 1 : 1994, Till Death and Werewolves Within over the weekend.  None are must-see, but I enjoyed all three enough to give them light recommendations.

My wife and I enjoyed Werewolves Within quite a bit when we caught it over the weekend, just from a general comedy perspective though, it wasn't actually much of a horror movie.

Been in a pretty long drought of actual high-level horror flicks for a while now; seen a bunch of mediocre-to-good stuff: Sacrifice, The Conspiracy, The Superdeep, Lights Out, Censor, Don't Listen, Caveat, The Tunnel, Rorschach, The Guest, We Summon the Darkness.  Those are in the last month.  I *really* didn't like Ghost Stories, Initiation, Saint Maud, or Slaxx.   To be clear I love horror flicks, but apparently I'm getting really picky as I get older/old.

I did like The Dead Center (mostly a reflection of how much I like Share Carruth), Psycho Goreman, Freaky, The Day of the Beast, and A Ghost Waits (twee AF so YMMV) - but I had to dig through like 3 months of viewing to come up with those.

(Edited to add that I'm vegan too; so that's three of us on this page, which is funny to me)

Edited by iwokeinrelief

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I enjoyed this quite a bit too.  I agree that it's probably not for most people, especially if you're expecting a standard horror movie.   Almost more of a indie rom-com with a horror twist.

Yeah, agreed. Moderately related only but my favorite flick from last year was After Midnight, so I suppose I have a “type” even though I do swing the other way and love when a horror movie is super tense or frightening. I don’t find many of those though, so the less-genre-typical ones tend to be highlights for me.

I have no idea how to post photos on this board anymore, but check out this awesome record they were selling at Joe Bob's Jamboree this weekend! It has the songs from the first 3 seasons, plus a few extras. John, the guy who does all the songs on the show, obviously recorded it, but he had a pretty solid back up band as well. I think it was a guy from Rob Zombie's band, a guy from My Chemical Romance, and a couple others. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRj0xhtJZY3/

On 7/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, kylet said:

I have no idea how to post photos on this board anymore, but check out this awesome record they were selling at Joe Bob's Jamboree this weekend! It has the songs from the first 3 seasons, plus a few extras. John, the guy who does all the songs on the show, obviously recorded it, but he had a pretty solid back up band as well. I think it was a guy from Rob Zombie's band, a guy from My Chemical Romance, and a couple others. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRj0xhtJZY3/

That is really cool. I had no knowledge of Joe Bob before I got Shudder and now Last Drive-In has become one of my favourite things to watch.

I see the record is up at Ship to Shore now, for anyone else interested:

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/featured/products/the-last-drive-in

4 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

That is really cool. I had no knowledge of Joe Bob before I got Shudder and now Last Drive-In has become one of my favourite things to watch.

I see the record is up at Ship to Shore now, for anyone else interested:

https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/featured/products/the-last-drive-in

Same here. I'm the right age for watching Joe bob back when it was monster vision, but for whatever reason it wasn't on my radar back then. 

8 hours ago, Rip said:

Finally got around to watching The Empty Man last night (it’s on HBO Max now) and man what a ride.  Really enjoyed it

I had that recommended to me, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  A 2:15 run time is a little harder for me to squeeze in these days.  Glad to hear another positive thing about it!

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I had that recommended to me, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  A 2:15 run time is a little harder for me to squeeze in these days.  Glad to hear another positive thing about it!

i told my wife we would watch this tonight.  i did not know at the time it was 2:15 😬 I'm sure it's a product of being old and sleepy at night, but there is nothing better than a sub-90 minute horror movie to me, and once it gets close to 2 hours (+) it gets to be a way tougher sell.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

Oh, I don't mind long movies in principal - hell I dragged my friend to see Satantango with me when the new 4k cut was touring - it's actually more that I find it difficult to actually set aside more than 90 minutes to watch a movie lately, especially as I tend to only watch them at night with my wife once the kids go to bed and I get up at either 4:00 or 5:00 every morning, so staying up late is *tough*. 

Managed to have a couple good weekends in a row

Fear Street  : 1666 - My least favorite of the three.  Not that it's bad by any means, just that I enjoyed the last two a bit more.   Has kind of an odd structure too.  Wraps up the series really well though.  I would 100% be in for more movies in the universe.

Vicious Fun - Really enjoyed this one.  It's got some good gore and made me laugh quite a few times.

The Forever Purge - I was a bit worn on the franchise after the last one, but this showed there are still some interesting ideas left in the franchise.   Worth checking out if you like the others.

My Heart Can't Beat Unless You Tell It Too - I liked this a lot.  A real slow burn and more of a drama with a horror element to it, so I don't know if it'd be for everyone.

In the non-horror space - I thought Pig and Zola were both great, especially Pig.  Cage's performance is top notch.  Easily one of my favorite movies this year.