The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

My only major complaint is that the ending felt kind of anticlimactic.

I think most of my issues with it stem from it very much feeling like a Channel Zero season but not having the hook/twist/reveal towards the end of the season like that show did for each of its seasons. But - for me - that’s just a misplaced expectation, because it’s not a C0 season.
It did end much more quietly than I expected, and I don’t feel the resolution was necessarily a strength, but I dug the hell out of the series overall.

I've been in a very busy period at work lately and haven't had much time for movies, but things have lightened up in the past few days.

I watched Rituals (1977). Really enjoyed this one. Good atmosphere, acting and pacing. It's a Boogeyman-stalker-in-the-woods movie that plays out kind of predictably but I liked it.

I also watched Spookies. I think I need to watch it again though. Not because it was good but because I couldn't follow most of it. It was just a bunch of stuff that happened. I got more entertainment reading about how infamously bad this movie is than watching the actual movie. I think Joe Bob Briggs had this one on last season so I'd be really interested to watch it again with his commentary.

Also jumping on the Fear Street bandwagon. Fun movies but 1666 was a little weak.

Edited by Subdomestic
Spelling

Watched The Old Ways and Aftermath yesterday.

Old Ways was okay I guess?  I don’t know.  I honestly felt bored most of the time.  Had its moments but wasn’t anything amazing.

Aftermath was also okay.  Kind of hated the direction it ended up going because it made absolutely no sense at all.  I was fairly invested until like… the last 15 minutes.

6 hours ago, Rip said:

Old Ways was okay I guess?  I don’t know.  I honestly felt bored most of the time.  Had its moments but wasn’t anything amazing.

I watched it this weekend and felt similarly.   It wasn't bad enough I turned it off, but it didn't hold my attention either.

I'd burnt myself out on movies after spending the bulk of lockdown watching at least one a day, but I'm getting back in the mood for them.  Here's what else I watched over the weekend.

Superhost : thought this was a bit of a dud.  Story was pretty generic, but with an 'influencer' spin.

Don't Breathe 2 : Not nearly as good as the first one, but it made for a fun Friday night beer movie.

Girls School Screamers : This is pretty boring and slow, but the final 30 minutes are a blast.  Lots of gooey practical effects.

We Need To Do Something : I enjoyed this even though it didn't completely work.

Looks like Halloween Kills is getting a same day release on Peacock.  Not sure if that'll sway me out of going to the theater, but it's nice knowing it'll be an option.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/412680/halloween-kills-will-hit-peacock-on-day-of-theatrical-release/

6 hours ago, Rip said:

Malignant comes out today!  Definitely plan on watching it sometime this weekend.  Can’t wait.

I’ve not seen anything that makes want to check that out, but certainly want to see what you think.

We’ll finish up Mare of Easttown tomorrow night, and will start White Lotus on Sunday.  Gotta wrap those before the new Flanagan drops!

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I’ve not seen anything that makes want to check that out, but certainly want to see what you think.

Are you generally not into the giallo type of films?  I’ve heard it leans very heavily in that direction in terms of style.  He hasn’t let me down yet when it comes to horror so I’m pretty excited.  More than likely gonna get to it tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

Are you generally not into the giallo type of films?  I’ve heard it leans very heavily in that direction in terms of style.  He hasn’t let me down yet when it comes to horror so I’m pretty excited.  More than likely gonna get to it tomorrow.

No, I like giallos just fine. I just keep seeing mostly lukewarm reactions, and - seeing how few movies I find time to see lately - I tend to be pretty cautious about what I spend my time on. Let me know if it’s better than I’m expecting though, it’ll make an easy movie night with my wife!

Malignant was fucking nuts.  Was it his best movie?  I personally don’t think so.  But it was fun as hell and definitely original.  I don’t remember ever seeing anything like it before.  The soundtrack was fantastic too.  Definitely worth checking out if you’re in the mood for something fun/gory.

11 hours ago, Rip said:

Malignant was fucking nuts.  Was it his best movie?  I personally don’t think so.  But it was fun as hell and definitely original.  I don’t remember ever seeing anything like it before.  The soundtrack was fantastic too.  Definitely worth checking out if you’re in the mood for something fun/gory.

Alright, I’m intrigued enough to check it out. I’ll have to make sure we work it in - which is actually easier if my wife *doesn’t* want to watch it, so I’ll have to check on that - before it goes off HBO.

Early reviews for Midnight Mass are saying it's great. Looking forward to the 24th! I assume all the episodes drop at the same time? Or is it going to be weekly?

I also recently watched Dead and Buried. I couldn't find Joe Bob's episode with Spookies so I watched that instead..haha.

Dead and Buried was decent. A bit of a strange slow-burn and it's hard to get into the plot without spoiling the movie. I guess it's a mad scientist story at its core, with some crazy twists. The beginning was pretty slow but then it goes nuts at the end.

A couple awesome looking trailers went up today:

V/H/S/94

Super excited about this one.  The 3rd V/H/S movie definitely wasn’t great.  Had its moments but didn’t even touch the first 2.  I love those movies so much and this looks like it’s gonna be awesome.

Nightmare Alley

No idea what the hell is going on but it’s Guillermo del Toro so you can’t go wrong there.  Looks amazing.

My letterbox thoughts on Malignant:

— I don’t know if i was *supposed* to laugh as hard as I did at this, but this was absolutely hilarious. Just so over the top dumb and audacious and - most importantly - fun. Oh, and utterly batshit insane. Brava. —
I don’t think you’ll ever convince me that Wan didn’t mean this in all straightfaced sincerity, which honestly makes it all the funnier.

Had a mostly good movie weekend!

Candyman (2021) - It has a bit of a rocky third act, but overall I liked it quite a bit.  It's also gorgeous.  The framing, cinematography and especially locations.

Gaia - Surreal eco-body horror, I dug it

Demonic - This was pretty bad, but also dumb enough that it was amusing.  Blomkamp is turning out to be quite the one hit wonder. 

Prisoners of the Ghostland - I don't even know what to say about this.  It's so bizarre and entertaining.  Worth a watch if you like out there cinema.

35 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

Candyman (2021) - It has a bit of a rocky third act, but overall I liked it quite a bit.  It's also gorgeous.  The framing, cinematography and especially locations.

Demonic - This was pretty bad, but also dumb enough that it was amusing.  Blomkamp is turning out to be quite the one hit wonder. 

Prisoners of the Ghostland - I don't even know what to say about this.  It's so bizarre and entertaining.  Worth a watch if you like out there cinema.

-Can't wait for Candyman to be rentable (at the non-$20 pricepoint) which I think hits first week of October.

-My wife mentioned she wants to see Gaia, and I love surreal eco-horror, so I'll see if I can bump this up the list to this coming weekend. 

-Heard nothing good about Demonic as of now, probably will keep it off the list. 

-Want to see Prisoners of the Ghostland super bad.  Was supposed to see it this past weekend but my (fully vaccinated always mask-wearing) friend got COVID from his kiddo (yay school!) so we had to skip.  Looks like I'll need to wait until rental on this one also.  Boo!

17 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Very nice.  Where’d you end up seeing Demonic?  Didn’t realize it was out anywhere yet.  Same with Prisoners of the Ghostland

Watched the new Candyman last night, really dug it.  It's difficult to elucidate exactly why, but I expected something different, and was slightly disappointed when I didn't get that thing, but I still really enjoyed it for what it was.  It does briefly slow down in the final third after a very brisk opening hour, but then it picks back up pretty quickly.