The official Horror fan topic

Rip

6 hours ago, Rip said:

4 episodes in and Midnight Mass is AMAZING.  Very slow burn but my god that writing and dialogue is off the charts.  Loving it a lot.

We’re 3 in at this point and really digging it so far. We’ll catch episode 4 tonight and then *maybe* finish it next weekend because we’ve got 4 straight nights of youth sports M-Th and I’m hopefully going to go catch Titane next Saturday. It’s frustrating finding time to watch stuff during the week!

I've really liked the two Midnight Mass episodes I've seen.  I don't like watching more than 1 episode of anything a day, so it'll probably take me the rest of the week to finish it, but I'm pretty excited for the next ep.  The desolate seatown is a nice change from the big houses of Bly/Hill House.  Small aside, the sound design really messes with my dog, especially the bird sounds.  He normally doesn't register TV at all, but this seems to get his attention.

Watched episode 6 of Midnight Mass last night. I found the last twenty minutes or so extremely intense, even as someone pretty well accustomed to horror. 

Hamish Linklater deserves an award for this series. So charismatic, intense and sinister all at once. Absolutely fantastic performance.

Planning to watch the finale tonight.

Finished Midnight Mass last night - general (spoiler free) thoughts:

Not as good as Hill House, but significantly better than Bly (which, to be clear, I *did* enjoy). I also really like the more outdoor / island setting vs another haunted house. 
Flanagan loves monologues, and he leans in heavy here on those; I think if you’re a fan of his work this will certainly satisfy, but I also am not sure if it’s going to convert any of his detractors. Screw them though. 
So glad for Flanagan’s continuing relationship with Netflix, hope to keep getting shows of this caliber on an annual basis.

As a shot/chaser combo I followed episode 7 of MM with the two newest episodes of What We Do In the Shadows 😂 highly recommended.

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I think this is my only real complaint with it.  One or two is fine, but I was a bit tired of them towards the end. 

That aside, I liked it quite a bit.

It’s super specific, and I typically like her (and liked her in this), but both of Kate Seigal’s couch monologues grated like hell.

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Recent watching:

(these were better than average, though mostly not by much)

The Wolf House

Woe

Butterfly Kisses 

(these were somewhere between meh and fine)

Sleepaway Camp

Here Comes Hell

V/H/S/94

How was V/H/S/94??  Been really excited about it.  3rd one wasn’t great but those first 2 are so unbelievably good.

Edited by Rip

13 hours ago, Rip said:

How was V/H/S/94??  Been really excited about it.  3rd one wasn’t great but those first 2 are so unbelievably good.

I watched it last night and feel pretty mixed about it.  Liked two of the shorts, downright hated one and thought one was ok, but overstayed its welcome.    The wrap around was a bit of a dud too.  Still better than the 3rd one though.

11 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched it last night and feel pretty mixed about it.  Liked two of the shorts, downright hated one and thought one was ok, but overstayed its welcome.    The wrap around was a bit of a dud too.  Still better than the 3rd one though.

yeah, the wrap around was one big pile of nothing. Which one did you hate out of curiosity? (A number is fine if you want to avoid spoilers here)