The official Horror fan topic

Rip

4 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

lol - I liked that one! Mostly the costume/makeup work though.

Funny!  I think the polish was a bit of a problem for me as well.  The rest looked like they were actually filmed on VHS and the 3rd one was really clean.  I'm guessing you've seen it, but you might like Frankenstein's Army.  3rd segment reminded me of that a bit.

2 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Funny!  I think the polish was a bit of a problem for me as well.  The rest looked like they were actually filmed on VHS and the 3rd one was really clean.  I'm guessing you've seen it, but you might like Frankenstein's Army.  3rd segment reminded me of that a bit.

Huh, not sure I’ve seen that one, I’ll look it up. But you are right, it is a bit cleaner resolution than the others, I didn’t really take note of that at the time. Still a bit grimy, but less of the camera roll across the screen.

Seen 9 films so far this month, but needed the head start because my kids have a four day weekend right now + I’m camping for two days later this month, so that 5-6 days of little-to-no movie time…

Edited by iwokeinrelief

The Night House was good, but I got interrupted watching it a few times and was taken out of it.  I feel like I need to give it another watch to fully enjoy it.  Rebecca Hall's performance was pretty stellar.  I think if you liked The Ritual, you'll enjoy this.  It's less fun, but it's probably the better movie.

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

The Night House was good, but I got interrupted watching it a few times and was taken out of it.  I feel like I need to give it another watch to fully enjoy it.  Rebecca Hall's performance was pretty stellar.  I think if you liked The Ritual, you'll enjoy this.  It's less fun, but it's probably the better movie.

Cool, I liked The Ritual. Without any irony The Ritual made me want to go hiking/camping and I go 1-2x / year since I saw it 😂

Have y'all seen Shinya Tsukamoto's (Tetsuo the Iron Man amongst others) Haze (2005)?  It’s stupid short (like 45 minutes if you ignore the title card and credits time) but is intensely claustrophobic and anxiety inducing.  Which, you know, recommended.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

7 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Have y'all seen Shinya Tsukamoto's (Tetsuo the Iron Man amongst others) Haze (2005)?  It’s stupid short (like 45 minutes if you ignore the title card and credits time) but is intensely claustrophobic and anxiety inducing.  Which, you know, recommended.

I have that big box-set that Arrow did recently of (almost) all of his stuff but I haven’t gotten to that one yet.  I was definitely interested from the description though.

Oh also, reminder that the Chucky show starts at 10:00pm EST tonight on SyFy!

7 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I've only seen Tetsuo for whatever reason, but this is a good reminder to look more into his work!

1 hour ago, Rip said:

I have that big box-set that Arrow did recently of (almost) all of his stuff but I haven’t gotten to that one yet.  I was definitely interested from the description though.

Oh also, reminder that the Chucky show starts at 10:00pm EST tonight on SyFy!

Had totally missed that they’d done that box set.

Anyway, my copy arrives on Thursday 😂

9 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Had totally missed that they’d done that box set.

Anyway, my copy arrives on Thursday 😂

Oof, it’s pretty expensive right now unfortunately and Amazon seems to only have 1 left: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DGPLN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_13QSJRE7VAN9RVSSC1JX

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Oof, it’s pretty expensive right now unfortunately and Amazon seems to only have 1 left: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DGPLN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_13QSJRE7VAN9RVSSC1JX

Oh, what I meant is that i bought a copy last night, arriving Thursday.

And I ran into the same thing, where the amazon search showed the really expensive one - when you google search it though the reasonably priced one shows up: https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Metal-Nightmares-Tsukamoto-Standard/dp/B08YDB69LT

Wish I had known in time to snag the CE, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Oh, what I meant is that i bought a copy last night, arriving Thursday.

And I ran into the same thing, where the amazon search showed the really expensive one - when you google search it though the reasonably priced one shows up: https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Metal-Nightmares-Tsukamoto-Standard/dp/B08YDB69LT

Wish I had known in time to snag the CE, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Oh!  I got ya now.  That’s fucking awesome you ordered it.  It’s such a good set.  I think I have the collectors edition?  I honestly can’t remember.   I didn’t even know they did two different editions.  But yeah, you won’t be disappointed.  The art alone is so damn good.  And the ones I’ve watched look fantastic

1 minute ago, Rip said:

Oh!  I got ya now.  That’s fucking awesome you ordered it.  It’s such a good set.  I think I have the collectors edition?  I honestly can’t remember.   I didn’t even know they did two different editions.  But yeah, you won’t be disappointed.  The art alone is so damn good.  And the ones I’ve watched look fantastic

I'm so damn excited to watch these in non-potato quality; everything I've seen until now was either VHS or early DVD (or just poor quality rips), I plan on going through the entire set once received.  Need to pick up Tetsuo the Bullet Man (since it's missing here) as I've actually still not seen that one.

Also, watched The Night House a bit ago and thought it was awesome.  Definitely one of the better new horror flicks I've seen this year.  Biggest complaint I had was that the movie was still playing it a bit too much like a mystery in the back half when it was fairly obvious what was going on.  Didn't take away from my enjoyment, but it did stand out for about 20 minutes or so there in the second half.

Week 2 was a bit more mixed.  I've got the rest of the month mapped out and think the next 17 days will be pretty solid!

8. Final Destination 2
9. The Funhouse
10. Little Shop of Horrors - Director's Cut (1986)
11. Mother of Tears
12. Cujo
13. The Dead Zone
14. Wrong Turn 2 : Dead End

8 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Week 2 was a bit more mixed.  I've got the rest of the month mapped out and think the next 17 days will be pretty solid!

8. Final Destination 2
9. The Funhouse
10. Little Shop of Horrors - Director's Cut (1986)
11. Mother of Tears
12. Cujo
13. The Dead Zone
14. Wrong Turn 2 : Dead End

How was The Funhouse? Seen it on whatever streaming app it’s currently on a few times this week, but have no idea if it’s worth checking out.

here’s my 31 for 31 update:

9. Under the Shadow*

10. The Night

11. Haze*

12. The Night House*

13. We Are Still Here*

14. Willy’s Wonderland

15. Girl on the Third Floor

16. The Block Island Sound
*stand outs

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

How was The Funhouse? Seen it on whatever streaming app it’s currently on a few times this week, but have no idea if it’s worth checking out.

I'm guessing if it wasn't a Tobe Hooper movie, it'd probably have been an 80s obscurity.  I thought it was fairly entertaining and it really delivers in the third act, but I can't say it's an essential watch.

15 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I'm guessing if it wasn't a Tobe Hooper movie, it'd probably have been an 80s obscurity.  I thought it was fairly entertaining and it really delivers in the third act, but I can't say it's an essential watch.

Yeah, Hooper was obviously the main draw there.  I'll keep it in mind as i'm looking for things to watch in the future; i'm sure i'll check it out at some point.

Work has been bringing me down again lately so I haven't had too much time for movies. Very happy to be living vicariously through everyone else's lists though 😀

Last night my wife and I watched "I'm Thinking of Ending Things". I mention it because it's listed as a horror/thriller but honestly I didn't find any part of it scary, nor did I really enjoy it. Maybe I like my stories spoon-fed a little more but I just found myself either confused or bored most of the time. The acting is fantastic but I just didn't care for the story and the random weirdness (though in hindsight, maybe that's the point?).

I finally got around to watching the original "Nightmare on Elm Street". I never really got into the franchise but it's all on Starz now so I'm trying to work through the series. I've seen the 2010 remake/reboot a couple times and didn't really like it. Happy to say that I did like the 1984 original.

I also watched "Contagion" after seeing a segment on Eli Roth's History of Horror. Kind of anxiety inducing due to how realistically it resembles the actual pandemic outbreak, considering it was made in 2011. I think I legitimately had flashbacks to March 2020 watching this movie. 

Lastly I watched the 2019 remake of "Child's Play" . I actually quite liked it. I'm always down for a cautionary tale of AI run amok and I found it better than the original. Trying to make some time to watch the Chucky TV show too.

Edited by Subdomestic