The official Horror fan topic

Rip

5 hours ago, Subdomestic said:

Work has been bringing me down again lately so I haven't had too much time for movies. Very happy to be living vicariously through everyone else's lists though 😀

Last night my wife and I watched "I'm Thinking of Ending Things". I mention it because it's listed as a horror/thriller but honestly I didn't find any part of it scary, nor did I really enjoy it. Maybe I like my stories spoon-fed a little more but I just found myself either confused or bored most of the time. The acting is fantastic but I just didn't care for the story and the random weirdness (though in hindsight, maybe that's the point?).

I finally got around to watching the original "Nightmare on Elm Street". I never really got into the franchise but it's all on Starz now so I'm trying to work through the series. I've seen the 2010 remake/reboot a couple times and didn't really like it. Happy to say that I did like the 1984 original.

I also watched "Contagion" after seeing a segment on Eli Roth's History of Horror. Kind of anxiety inducing due to how realistically it resembles the actual pandemic outbreak, considering it was made in 2011. I think I legitimately had flashbacks to March 2020 watching this movie. 

Lastly I watched the 2019 remake of "Child's Play" . I actually quite liked it. I'm always down for a cautionary tale of AI run amok and I found it better than the original. Trying to make some time to watch the Chucky TV show too.

Aw man I loved I’m Thinking of Ending Things.  Although I finished reading the book like IMMEDIATELY before we watched it.  I’m also a bit Charlie Kaufman fan so that helped things.  I can totally see why it isn’t for everyone though.  Even the book was super confusing towards the end.

3 hours ago, Rip said:

Aw man I loved I’m Thinking of Ending Things.  Although I finished reading the book like IMMEDIATELY before we watched it.  I’m also a bit Charlie Kaufman fan so that helped things.  I can totally see why it isn’t for everyone though.  Even the book was super confusing towards the end.

I might give it a second chance.

I just found that it got off to a slow start and the weirdness seemed so unexplained up until the last 20 minutes or so, and even then it's sort of left to the audience to try to make sense of it all.

Eh, I can't figure out how to hide spoilers on the specific plot points that I got hung up on.

It was definitely a thought provoking movie but different strokes for different folks 🙂

Edited by Subdomestic
can't figure out how to hide spoilers

I think the Ending Things book tells the story a little more cohesively and I think having read it beforehand makes the movie a bit more decipherable.  The movie goes full Charlie Kaufman by the end, which definitely isn't for everyone! I think he did a good job adapting the material and adding his voice to it.  It being in 4:3 and shot to tightly really makes it feel claustrophobic.  I can't remember how I felt about the movie initially, but I like it more now that I've sat with it for however many months.

Watched Censor and Underwater yesterday.

Censor was real good.  Goes kinda off the rails at the end but I really enjoyed it.  I had seen Bloody Disgusting talk about it quite a bit recently and then I saw that I just went up on Hulu so I was glad I got to check it out.

I had heard nothing but good things about Underwater since it came out last year and I’ve been wanting to see it but never got around to it.  I thought it was great.  Kinda like Alien except underwater.

I thought Censor was pretty middle of the road myself, but agree it went off the rails a bit at the end (though the final 15 minutes or so of the film was my favorite part of it).

Agree about Underwater, it's just an absolute ton of fun.  I love that it basically starts going about 2 minutes in and just never looks back.

2 hours ago, Rip said:

I feel like I've come across this before.  Is it on Netflix?

It just dropped on Shudder in the past week.

Edited to add - it’s 2 hours and 15 minutes long and more than willing to take that time to stretch out its legs a bit. It’s a slow burn until it absolutely isn’t.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

33 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Anyone watch Halloween Kills yet? I have a lot of mixed feelings and thoughts about it. 

I went to the Thursday premiere like I've done for every Halloween film released in the last 20 years. I was super stoked because I really liked 2018. I was extremely disappointed as soon as the end credits rolled. I couldn't fathom how they could include all that horrible dialogue. It was straight cringe. It really felt like Jamie Lee made them put all her woke agenda driven social commentary. Seriously, kill her off already so we don't have to suffer from that bullshit in the next installments. Visually it looked great. Carpenter is still a legend, but I did prefer his 2018 score more.  I watched it again at home and enjoyed it a lot more, just rolling my eyes at the cheesy dialogue. "Evil dies tonight", ok we get it. The bluray comes out in January and it includes an extended ending that they cut because of where they've decided to go in ENDS. I read the script, after the shape kills Karen, Laurie tries calling her from the hospital. The shape answers the phone, and just breathes into the phone. Lauries says she's going to kill him, and grabs the knife from the hospital room and heads out into the town.

18 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

I was pretty disappointed by Halloween Kills as well.   I think if you watch it expecting a dumb slasher, you'll probably have some fun.  If you're expecting something on par with the 2018 movie, it's a big let down. 

Yeah. That's where I found myself. The storyline was a chore to care about. The acting was wooden from everyone. And all the lines and script felt cliche. The whole mob thing out for blood was drawn out way too long...not to mention the overkill on the "EVIL DIES TONIGHT!" thing. And I have to admit that the kills and body count and gore were a bit unnecessary and too much...as if to take your attention away from the crappy script and acting. 

And Anthony Michael Hall...oof...what happened there?!?! His acting was the worst of all. 

Haven't dropped into this thread for a while, but I agree that the medium was wicked !! It didn't feel like a found footage movie to me, they really made it feel like a genuine anthropology documentary like something you'd see on National Geographic. At least, until shit really starts to hit the fan. Acting was great, cinematography was great, ending was great. 

8 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Haven't dropped into this thread for a while, but I agree that the medium was wicked !! It didn't feel like a found footage movie to me, they really made it feel like a genuine anthropology documentary like something you'd see on National Geographic. At least, until shit really starts to hit the fan. Acting was great, cinematography was great, ending was great. 

<nods emphatically>
Agree with all that. Loved the cinematography and set work, and thought they did a great job of making it really feel like a documentary.

Been working through a backlog recently:

-Raw - The Titane buzz compelled me to check this out and I really liked it. Love seeing things I’ve never seen before in a movie. Highly recommend. 
-Creep - Great performance by Duplass and liked the ride, but a few things about the end didn’t land for me. 
-Daniel Isn’t Real - Tried this because I think I’d heard some people on here rave about it but it just never clicked for me. I didn’t really like the two leads, and it didn’t help that I felt like it was the adventures of young Jack White and young Patrick Bateman. 

Has anyone checked out any of this year’s Welcome to Blumhouse movies on Amazon Prime (Bingo Hell, Black as Night, The Manor, Madres)? I remember being excited when they announced these last year and then pretty disappointed by the movies themselves. 

42 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

Been working through a backlog recently:

-Raw - The Titane buzz compelled me to check this out and I really liked it. Love seeing things I’ve never seen before in a movie. Highly recommend. 
-Creep - Great performance by Duplass and liked the ride, but a few things about the end didn’t land for me. 
-Daniel Isn’t Real - Tried this because I think I’d heard some people on here rave about it but it just never clicked for me. I didn’t really like the two leads, and it didn’t help that I felt like it was the adventures of young Jack White and young Patrick Bateman. 

Has anyone checked out any of this year’s Welcome to Blumhouse movies on Amazon Prime (Bingo Hell, Black as Night, The Manor, Madres)? I remember being excited when they announced these last year and then pretty disappointed by the movies themselves. 

I really loved Raw, having now seen Titane I would say that I like Raw better, but both are super top-notch (with Titane leaning a bet heavier into the wtf am i watching factor).

Still haven't seen Creep; *really* enjoyed Duplass in Safety Not Guaranteed, and Creep 1/2 have been on my list for a while not, but i always find something else to watch instead.

I dug Daniel Isn't Real - i wasn't particular crazy about either of the main characters either, and i was a bit on the fence through the first half, but the end worked really well for me.

I don't think i've seen a single one of the Blumhouse movies yet.  Are any specific ones of them standouts?

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I don't think i've seen a single one of the Blumhouse movies yet.  Are any specific ones of them standouts?

Of the Welcome to Blumhouse movies from last year, Black Box was probably the best, thought it’s more Twilight Zone than straight horror. I haven’t watched any from this year. 

Edited by dawhizz

22 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Still haven't seen Creep; *really* enjoyed Duplass in Safety Not Guaranteed, and Creep 1/2 have been on my list for a while not, but i always find something else to watch instead.

I really liked both the Creep movies.  If I remember right, the second was better than the first.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

Same.  I swear there’s supposed to be a 3rd one eventually but haven’t heard anything about it in a long time

Yeah, last I saw it was still in the works, but that was a while back.

Had a pretty fun movie week (with the exception of Halloween Kills, which I dislike more every time I think about it)

15. Final Destination 3
16. Halloween Kills
17. Hause
18. Critters 3
19. Titane
20. House of Wax
21. Maniac

Watched The Quiet Place II and The Night House yesterday.

Loved both of them a lot.  Super happy when a sequel is just as good as the first movie and I thought that was definitely the case here with TQP2.

The Night House had an original story so that’s always refreshing.  Looked amazing too.  I could almost tell where it was going about halfway through or so but that didn’t stop me from enjoying it.