The official Horror fan topic

Rip

6 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

It is!  I love how it goes from a very measured pace to just hard AF for that last hour.  Some of the shots of Mink burned themselves into my brain and hung around for a while once it was done.

Oh yeah for sure.  I’m still thinking about some of the shit she was doing 😂

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Would Squid Game fall into the horror category?...Cuz, damn...that shit was crazy. 

Probably not; it's more in the dystopia/thriller space.  I almost said sci-fi but there really isn't anything futuristic about, it's pretty grounded in modern capitalistic-hellscape 😬

BUT, it *was* a blast, my wife and I loved it.  Between that and Midnight Mass it was a solid few weeks for Netflix limited series!

Any of y'all watch that Folklore series on HBO?  Curious if any in particular are stand outs / or if any are missable.  We watched the first one last night (A Mother's Love) and really enjoyed it, but we watched it specifically because Joko Anwar (Satan's Slaves, Impetigore, Queen of Black Magic) directed it; I'm not immediately familiar with the other directors though. 

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Any of y'all watch that Folklore series on HBO?  Curious if any in particular are stand outs / or if any are missable.  We watched the first one last night (A Mother's Love) and really enjoyed it, but we watched it specifically because Joko Anwar (Satan's Slaves, Impetigore, Queen of Black Magic) directed it; I'm not immediately familiar with the other directors though. 

Been wanting to check that out but I keep forgetting about it.

Probably hit at least one more this month, but here’s my opening 31 for the month (I watched 2+ hours of Midnight Mass in October so it counts dammit).

1. Butterfly Kisses 
  2. Sleepaway Camp
  3. Midnight Mass
  4. The Wolf House
  5. Woe
  6. Here Comes Hell
  7. V/H/S/94
  8. Hell Fest
  9. Under the Shadow
  10. The Night
  11. Haze
  12. The Night House
  13. We Are Still Here
  14. Willy’s Wonderland
  15. Girl on the Third Floor
  16. The Block Island Sound
  17. The Ruins
  18. Pieces
  19. The Medium
  20. Mass Hysteria
  21. Possession
  22. Titane
  23. The McPherson Tape
  24. Halloween
  25. Exorcist III
  26. Halloween II
  27. Halloween III
  28. Veronica
  29. Deadhouse Dark
  30. Halloween 4
  31. The Witch in the Window

6 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Silver Shamrock!  I love Season of the Witch so much!  I really dug the small nod to it in David Gordon Green's Halloweens.  Such a weird swing and miss trying to make Halloween an anthology franchise.

It's such a great movie!  

I love the attempt to move away from Michael Meyers - the first two films taken together are a perfect beginning to end experience, I can absolutely see why they'd think to just move on and make it more anthological - but of course I also love more Michael Meyers.

We watched Tumbbad last night; I see it get categorized as horror - and it has those elements - but it's got more in common with folklore / fantasy / mythology than horror really.  That said, we really enjoyed it - location-work is great and much of it is visually striking; really appreciated a non-western (non-japanese/korean) storytelling approach that felt both authentic and new-to-me.  

It made me want to visit India again; which (like my response to The Ritual) is just another example of my taking the completely incorrect thing away from a movie 😂

Managed to make it a little past 31 this month.  Didn't get to everything I'd hoped, which seems to happen every year. 

1. Final Destination
2. Audition
3. Suspiria
4. Skinned Deep
5. Bubba Ho-Tep
6. The Night House
7. V/H/S 94
8. The Addams Family
9. Final Destination 2
10. The Funhouse
11. Little Shop of Horrors - Director's Cut (1986)
12. Mother of Tears
13. Cujo
14. The Dead Zone
15. Wrong Turn 2
16. Final Destination 3
17. Halloween Kills
18. House
19. Critters 3
20. Titane
21. House of Wax
22. Maniac
23. The Final Destination
24. Scream
25. Evil Dead Trap
26. An American Werewolf in London
27. Final Destination 5
28. The Return of the Living Dead
29. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation - Director's Cut
30. Friday the 13th : Part VII The New Blood
31. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 : The Dream Master
32. Slumber Party Massacre (2021)
33. Hellraiser

9 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

lol, saw this live through a local theater like two weeks ago. Should have included it on my list!

Same here!  I live ~8 blocks from a small one screen theater that only shows cult favorites and I've been there a ton since they re-opened.  The director's cut ending is insane, I loved it.

42 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

Same here!  I live ~8 blocks from a small one screen theater that only shows cult favorites and I've been there a ton since they re-opened.  The director's cut ending is insane, I loved it.

Oh, I mean I actually saw actors perform the musical live.

spacer.png

I want to get in on some page 100 action too :)

Unfortunately my October viewing wasn't quite what I would ideally hope for.

Lately I watched the first three Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Really liked them all, actually.  Not a huge fan of some of the sillier stuff (hello budgie attack in Part 2) but the I love the surreal dream/nightmare horror aspects.

Otherwise I've just had AMC FearFest on in the background during my workday and caught the standard staples like Halloween (1978),  The Omen (1976 and 2006) and bits and pieces of some of the Final Destination movies. I also watched Cujo and most of Christine this morning.

I also realized this is the first year in a while that I didn't watch Trick'r Treat. I will have to get on that 

Edited by Subdomestic

Happy hundred pages !!

I only got twenty seven movies done for the month of October, but I also went to Emo Nite and a few concerts and stuff so this was the best I could do !

1) The Mist

2) Scream

3) Seance

4) The Green Inferno

5) Martyrs

6) Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum

7) Thirteen Ghosts

8 ) Orphan

9) The Thing

10) Rosemary's Baby

11) Haunt

12) Children of the Corn

13) Prom Night

14)The Exorcist (Saw this in theatres it was tight)

15) Session 9 

16) The Shining

17) Ginger Snaps

18) Friday the 13th

19) Suspiria

20) Jennifer's Body

21) The Craft

22) The Poughkeepsie Tapes

23) Misery

24) The Medium 

25) It

26) My Bloody Valentine

27) Halloween Kills

Watched Titane and V/H/S ‘94 last night.

Titane… holy shit.  I really needed that.  Been a long time since I’ve been surprised by something and that did it.  Like a combination of Cronenberg’s Crash and Videodrome.  Loved everything about it and I look forward to watching it again cause there’s so much to take in.

V/H/S ‘94 on the other hand was the disappointment of the year for me.  I actually think the previous one was better than this one.  Such a shame cause the trailer made it look amazing.  The second segment (the funeral/wake one) was actually really good.  Like, I loved that one.  First segment (ratman) had its moments, but it reeeeally lost me during the third segment.  It went on for way too long and I had to force myself to stay awake.  Sucks cause I was really looking forward to this movie for a while

Edited by Rip

Had a fairly ho-hum spate of viewing here recently.

Watched that Korean flick The Clsoet that recently popped up on Shudder - it's a pretty average k-horror movie.  Not bad but not really recommended either.

Watched a few Koji Shiraishi movies due to how amazing Noroi is, but found them all underwhelming - A Slit-Mouthed Woman and Shirome are both pretty skippable, and Occult is fine but falls apart in the final third.

Also watched a tawdry/trashy late-80's Giallo called Too Beautiful to Die which was basically as good as expected (not very, but it was entertaining enough).

I’ve been sitting on the sofa all day with “day after Covid-vaccine” malaise. Watched:

Lamb - solid as hell. Firmly weird fiction as opposed to horror though. Really enjoyed it.

Haunted Mansion - the 2015 Filipino horror flick, not the Disney one. it was not good!

[REC]2 - never saw this even though I loved the first one back when it came out on DVD. This was pretty decent; I really like horror sequels that pick up immediately after the original (especially because *so damn many* horror movies, even good ones, end with some stupid jump scare / haha this isn’t over) and this did that well.

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I’ve been sitting on the sofa all day with “day after Covid-vaccine” malaise. Watched:

Lamb - solid as hell. Firmly weird fiction as opposed to horror though. Really enjoyed it.

Haunted Mansion - the 2015 Filipino horror flick, not the Disney one. it was not good!

[REC]2 - never saw this even though I loved the first one back when it came out on DVD. This was pretty decent; I really like horror sequels that pick up immediately after the original (especially because *so damn many* horror movies, even good ones, end with some stupid jump scare / haha this isn’t over) and this did that well.

[REC] straight into [REC]2  are a couple of my favorites from that “genre.”  It’s too bad the 2 after fell pretty short in comparison 

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

[REC] straight into [REC]2  are a couple of my favorites from that “genre.”  It’s too bad the 2 after fell pretty short in comparison 

Yeah, I’ve heard nothing at this point that makes me want to check out the others, but I’d seen positive feedback around the second one — glad I checked it out! I loved the first one so much like 15 years ago. It occurred to me while I was watching 2 that I really need to revisit it.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

14 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Yeah, I’ve heard nothing at this point that makes me want to check out the others, but I’d seen positive feedback around the second one — glad I checked it out! I loved the first one so much like 15 years ago. It occurred to me while I was watching 2 that I really need to revisit it.

Went ahead and hit that re/visit this morning. The original remains one of the best of all the found footage genre.