The official Horror fan topic

Rip

Checked out an Argentinian slasher from 2020 called The Last Matinee last night. Really well put together flick, production is top notch, doesn’t mess around with an overly complicated plot or backstory, just a dude killing people in a theater. Looks great, entertaining, and just generally a lot of fun if you’re a slasher fan.

We watched Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil last night.  It's a Basque-language folklore-driven (based on the Basque version of the Smith and Devil story) quasi-horror flick.  It's a lot like Tummbad where it overlaps way more with fantasy than horror, but it does frequently get slapped with the horror descriptor whenever i read about.  It was a good watch, definitely entertaining, but I liked it from the folklore/mythology angle (i love cultural mythology as produced by members of the actual culture), as it really only ends up horror-adjacent.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

Randomly decided to watch Kuso on Shudder this morning.  I remember hearing about it years ago and how weird and gross it was and finally felt like checking it out.

It was as good as something like that could be I guess haha.  Felt like a David Lynch/Adult Swim fever dream.  Definitely was pretty gross but I’ve seen quite a bit of fucked up stuff in my years of watching horror so it probably wasn’t as crazy to me as it might be to others.  Hard to recommend something like this but I guess check it out if you’re a fan of David Lynch and Adult Swims random gross stuff.

15 minutes ago, Rip said:

Randomly decided to watch Kuso on Shudder this morning.  I remember hearing about it years ago and how weird and gross it was and finally felt like checking it out.

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Replay
Unmute

Current Time 0:19
/
Duration 0:19
Loaded: 0.00%

0:19
Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

It was as good as something like that could be I guess haha.  Felt like a David Lynch/Adult Swim fever dream.  Definitely was pretty gross but I’ve seen quite a bit of fucked up stuff in my years of watching horror so it probably wasn’t as crazy to me as it might be to others.  Hard to recommend something like this but I guess check it out if you’re a fan of David Lynch and Adult Swims random gross stuff.

I love David Lynch but not random gross stuff.  I'm tempted, but i think this probably not for me. 😂

A few things of late:

Ghoul - Indian limited event series based on Arab folklore. A little odd that this was made as a series since it’s only 3 episodes and totals right around a 2.5 hour run time, but other than that note this was great. Each of the episodes fly by, the cast and script are solid, it feels actually original vs derivative, and I am of course a sucker for folklore based horror. I don’t see a ton of talk about this ever which is a shame, as this is one of the better original horror offerings up on Netflix.

Dr Brain - this one is over on Apple+ which sucks - I’ve got a free one year subscription from when my work upgrade my iPhone (😂 - it’s because the phone is tied to my Apple ID) - because this is super great so far, but will likely have only a limited audience due to channel. It’s a mystery/detective show with some horror/paranormal (/sci-if) elements written and directed by Kim Jee-woon who made I Saw the Devil / A Tale of Two Sisters / a number of other films I haven’t seen that I need to remedy. It’s only 3 (of 6) episodes in so far, new episodes come out each Friday, but it is great as of the halfway point.

Other movies I saw recently: Hall (good but too short / more a good idea than a fully fleshed out movie); Found Footage 3D (pretty basic found footage movie with a handful of meta elements that work to various effect; the climax is a bit bonkers as it’s pretty slow burn until the last 15 minutes and then it just abruptly goes nuts); The Gate (dumb + fun 80’s horror - Steven Dorff’s acting debut! - that is tame enough to be a decent family film / kid-intro to horror); Alone (not the awesome/tense-AF American film from last year, the Thai follow-up film from the directors of Shutter. Shutter was better but this was still fun).

Hope y’all have a great holiday and eat yourselves dumb on Thursday! Got my vegan meal on order and am looking forward to making pumpkin pie and eating the entire thing + a whole tub of coconut cream cool whip all by myself (which is my thanksgiving tradition 😂)!

Edited by iwokeinrelief

Finally managed to watch a few movies :

Double Walker - This was decent, but a bit forgettable.   The filmmakers seem competent and I thought the lead was good.  I'm not quite sure if the movie made sense by the end or maybe it didn't seem to have any clear rules and that led to some confusion on my part.  I was expecting it to be a bit of a horror comedy based on the poster, but that isn't the case!

The Laughing Dead - I had so much fun with this one.  Unfortunately, not a whole lot happens in the first half.  Once you get to the second half though, it's a bunch of ridiculous, gooey practical effects and it goes big until the end.  I'm actually surprised this isn't well known, seems like it has cult classic all over it.

The Deep House - I gave up 50 minutes in.  It was so bad that I didn't want to sit through the last 20-30 minutes.  Dialogue is so awful and it's pretty boring.

I've also enjoyed the 5 episodes of Chucky I've seen.

11 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

The Deep House - I gave up 50 minutes in.  It was so bad that I didn't want to sit through the last 20-30 minutes.  Dialogue is so awful and it's pretty boring.

I’ve not heard one positive thing about this movie so far, which is pretty impressive as I typically see at least some split of opinions in the community with almost all horror movies.

34 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I’ve not heard one positive thing about this movie so far, which is pretty impressive as I typically see at least some split of opinions in the community with almost all horror movies.

I've liked all the Bustillo and Maury movies I've seen up to this (realized I haven't seen Leatherface yet either).   Real big misstep!

4 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I've liked all the Bustillo and Maury movies I've seen up to this (realized I haven't seen Leatherface yet either).   Real big misstep!

I did not realize this was them.
I don’t know why, but nothing I’ve seen of theirs has had much of an impact on me. I didn’t dislike any of them, I just never thought about any of them ever again.

8 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Nooo!  Super disappointing to hear.  I was really looking forward to that one.  I’ve loved all of their stuff so far.

Not horror, but genre-weirdness and the smartest thing I’ve seen in ages - absolutely check out Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes when you get the chance. It made my head spin a bit when it clicked what the director was doing and just how damn difficult it must have been to pull off. Absolutely wonderful.

Didn't have much going on this weekend, so I put a small dent in my backlog.

There's Someone Inside Your House - Decent who-dunnit slasher, made for a good end of the week movie. 

Kristy - Watched this because it takes place on Thanksgiving, but that's pretty arbitrary to the plot.   Kind of a home invasion / slasher.  I liked this quite a bit.  The lead is great, it's paced well and it kept me interested the whole way through.

The Feast - This was good.  A bit of a slow burn with a nice payoff.

Black Friday - This was dumb, but fun.  It's exactly the type of movie you'd expect based on the plot synopsis and poster.  Really fun Bruce Campbell performance!  I did kind of lose interest at about the hour mark, but it's something that's easy to half watch.

Knocking - It was fine.  I feel like I've seen enough movies that are similar that I'd kind of already knew how it was going to play out (and it pretty much played out how I thought it would).

Last Night in Soho - I really dug this. 

Finally watched new Candyman last night.  I actually really enjoyed it.  There were a couple things I was kind of confused about but maybe that’s because I kept trying to use the logic from the first movie?  I don’t know.  Either way though I thought it was great.

On 12/1/2021 at 3:04 AM, Rip said:

There were a couple things I was kind of confused about but maybe that’s because I kept trying to use the logic from the first movie? 

I had to skip back in a part because I thought I had full on missed a scene or two somehow,  haha.  Overall, I really liked it, but there does seems to be a gap in the story telling.

5 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I had to skip back in a part because I thought I had full on missed a scene or two somehow,  haha.  Overall, I really liked it, but there does seems to be a gap in the story telling.

Huh, I don’t remember noting that when I watched it.

I liked it as well, I thought it was a great follow up to the first.

Finally got around to watching Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark last night since it’s on Netflix now. I thought it was decent, I really enjoyed the books when I was a kid which was the reason I put the movie off for so long. Glad they included the big toe part but I would have enjoyed to see the Wendigo since I always thought that part was the scariest. That and the short story about the dog licking the owners hand but it wasn’t actually the dog. All around, not a terrible flick ! 

Tonight I’m going to try the new Shudder original Death Valley 

Update on Death Valley: The reviews on this one seem pretty split down the middle, either you really liked it or you didn't. Unfortunately I couldn't really connect with either of the main characters and thought the acting was pretty bad. I guess they were going for an Alien / The Thing / Resident Evil type of deal,  but I don't think it was executed as well. Just felt like something that had been done before !! Not for me I suppose. 

Finally got around to checking out Sator after it being on my to-watch list for a number of months.  I really enjoyed it - not sure if any of y'all read horror in addition to watching it, but it reminded me of Laird Barron's early short fiction (either of the first two NSB collections) - grimy inexplicable backwoods weird fiction.

3 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched Antlers last night and it was fine I suppose.  It mostly held my attention, but it never really felt satisfying and I think I just wanted more out of it.  I'd say it's a B-/C+ or a 2-3 beer movie.  It does have a pretty fun final act though.

Aren’t all movies 2-3 beer movies?

3 hours ago, Rip said:

Not really horror-related but holy fuck this looks so good.  About damn time this is coming out.  Feel like we’ve been waiting forever: 

Yep, excited for sure.  +Sjon (co-writer on this) was also co-writer on Lamb (in addition to numerous novels) so that's another horror-related tie.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, Rip said:

Not really horror-related but holy fuck this looks so good.  About damn time this is coming out.  Feel like we’ve been waiting forever: 

I can't waiiiiit for this. Crazy cast. I'm sure it's gonna be an incredible movie

Edited by Han Solo

Watched that Vietnamese horror movie The Guardian that just recently popped up on Netflix.  It was pretty disappointing - couple positives are that it looks great and that V-pop in it is really good; around the midpoint it feels like it’s ramping up into a really fun batshit mindset but it it quickly goes downhill and settles into mundanity and mediocrity. Definitely way too long at 2+ hours and not worth the runtime.