The official Horror fan topic

Rip

8 hours ago, Rip said:

Fuck yes FINALLY a new Ti West movie and it looks amazing: 

-Trailer looks great!

-So, looks like I’ve only seen House of the Devil and VHS by Ti - his other stuff worth watching or is some of it skippable?

-The other night my wife picked The Darkness of the Road for us to watch and it was *awful* - we both hated it. So that’s fun.

-Also finally watched Cure which was awesome of course and I’m sure I’ll watch it again soon with the new Criterion 4K cut coming.

- we’re also about 5 (of 8 ) episodes through The Silent Sea which is a decent / enjoyable Korean sci-fi limited series with some minor horror elements (if you’re on the *right* side of the Alien is a horror movie debate 😂).

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

-Trailer looks great!

Video Player is loading.
Play Video
Pause
Unmute

Current Time 0:10
/
Duration 0:20
Loaded: 100.00%

Stream Type LIVE
Seek to live, currently playing liveLIVE
Remaining Time -0:10

Playback Rate
1x
Chapters
  • Chapters
Descriptions
  • descriptions off, selected
Captions
  • captions off, selected
Audio Track
  • en, selected
Fullscreen

This is a modal window.

Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.

TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-Transparent BackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparent WindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaque
Font Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400% Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadow Font FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall Caps
Reset restore all settings to the default valuesDone
Close Modal Dialog

End of dialog window.

Advertisement: 0:11

-So, looks like I’ve only seen House of the Devil and VHS by Ti - his other stuff worth watching or is some of it skippable?

Oh they’re absolutely worth watching.  The Innkeepers is one of my all-time favorites.  And The Sacrament is really, really good too.  A very “Jim Jones” story.  And I don’t care what anyone says: Cabin Fever 2 is great.  It’s so much fun.

In a Valley or Violence is also great if you’re in a “western” mood.

20 hours ago, Rip said:

Oh they’re absolutely worth watching.  The Innkeepers is one of my all-time favorites.  And The Sacrament is really, really good too.  A very “Jim Jones” story.  And I don’t care what anyone says: Cabin Fever 2 is great.  It’s so much fun.

In a Valley or Violence is also great if you’re in a “western” mood.

Completely agree (save for Cabin Fever 2, haven't watched it for whatever reason).    If I'm remembering correctly, The Roost was decent as well, but hardly a must see.

History of the Occult was awesome, smart in a “I probably need to watch that a couple more times to put everything together” kind of way, and actually good enough that I want to and will. Way more cerebral than scary, had to have had basically no budget, but damn what a smart well put together flick.

History of the Occult was awesome, smart in a “I probably need to watch that a couple more times to put everything together” kind of way, and actually good enough that I want to and will. Way more cerebral than scary, had to have had basically no budget, but damn what a smart well put together flick.

I’ve heard good things about this.  What you watching it on?

10 hours ago, Rip said:

I’ve heard good things about this.  What you watching it on?

Whoops, forgot to mention that while I *think* this will eventually come to Netflix, it’s currently not commercially available in the states.

We finished The Silent Sea last night - I described it as “decent” up above and see no reason to revise that descriptor. Really great cast of Korean genre actors, and the whole thing looks great, but it never really elevates itself to anything better than “good”.

Started that new Netflix limited series Archive 81 - which I’ve seen a lot of strong buzz / early reviews - first episode was good / interesting. We’ll try to get through it over this coming week.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

HEADS UP - With Sundance going 100% online you can buy tickets to watch the new Benson/Moorhead movie (Something in the Dirt) on either the 23rd or the 25th. I did (25th for me as the 23rd is already cluttered for me). Everything they do is must watch for me, The Endless is probably my favorite genre movie of recent memory.

HEADS UP - With Sundance going 100% online you can buy tickets to watch the new Benson/Moorhead movie (Something in the Dirt) on either the 23rd or the 25th. I did (25th for me as the 23rd is already cluttered for me). Everything they do is must watch for me, The Endless is probably my favorite genre movie of recent memory.

Shitttt.  That’s awesome!  I’m with you in that I’ve loved everything they’ve done so far.  I’m gonna have to keep this in mind.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

Shitttt.  That’s awesome!  I’m with you in that I’ve loved everything they’ve done so far.  I’m gonna have to keep this in mind.

Speaking of Benson+Moorhead they directed episode 3 of Archive 81. It’s really strong so far.

^I’ve got a copy of that We’re All Going to the World’s Fair - I’ll bump it up the list once I get my kids back in school 😐

7 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Speaking of Benson+Moorhead they directed episode 3 of Archive 81. It’s really strong so far.

^I’ve got a copy of that We’re All Going to the World’s Fair - I’ll bump it up the list once I get my kids back in school 😐

Whaaat??  That’s awesome!  We watched the first episode last night.  Pretty crazy.

10 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

We finished Archive 81 a bit ago, I loved it. Hits a bunch of notes that I really enjoy.

Watched the first episode of Yellowjackets - good so far, really looking forward to it.

We’ve only watched one episode of Archive 81 so far but it was great.  Pretty creepy.

Dude… Yellowjackets might be one of the best shows I’ve watched in a long time.  We watched the whole first season last weekend.  So nice and refreshing to see an original idea be so good.  Most things are based off of books or “movies turned into shows” nowadays.

Speaking of shows based off of books, I know it’s not really “horror,” but my wife and I also just recently watched Station Eleven and holy shit.  Super emotional and well done.  Made me want to go and read the book. 

3 minutes ago, Rip said:

Dude… Yellowjackets might be one of the best shows I’ve watched in a long time.  We watched the whole first season last weekend.  So nice and refreshing to see an original idea be so good.  Most things are based off of books or “movies turned into shows” nowadays.

-This is roughly the tenor of all reviews I've seen for the show so far 😂 hence us hopping on the bandwagon.

-My wife read Station Eleven and really enjoyed it (not surprising, I remember the critical reception back when it came out), I've just yet to feel up to watching it yet, I generally don't enjoy straight dystopic fiction.

Yellowjackets was great all the way through!  I was watching it week to week and it very quickly became something I needed to watch as soon as I could.  Adult Misty (Christina Ricci) is so awesome haha.

I haven't had much time for TV, but I'm looking forward to Station Eleven and Archive 81 whenever I get to them.  I've also heard really good things about Anna.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Have not heard of this - only really coming up with a couple movies when searching for it - what is it?

It's an Italian post-apocalyptic pandemic mini-series.   I think it flew under the radar completely

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11199132/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

It's an Italian post-apocalyptic pandemic mini-series.   I think it flew under the radar completely

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11199132/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3

Wow, yeah, totally didn’t hear about this. And thankfully I dumped my Shudder subscription for an AMC+ subscription (they had 12 months for like $25 as a holiday special) so I have access to this. I’ll probably get to it next, because after Yellowjackets I’m kind of tapped out on TV shows I want to see.

Watched Antlers last night - Looks great, cinematography is solid. Otherwise it was pretty meh. That’s what I expected honestly, but my wife has wanted to watch this so 🤷‍♂️ (I really just wanted to watch more Yellowjackets; we’re going to see Hadestown tonight - [!!!] - so I won’t be able to get back to it until tomorrow; 3 episodes in and I’m hooked)

Absolutely loved the new Benson/Moorhead movie (Something in the Dirt); definitely something that needs to be watched more than once though as it's structural complexity only reveals itself as the movie unfolds.  Looking forward to visiting it again in the future once it's eventually available for home viewing.