The official Horror fan topic

Rip

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Would rather be playing Elden Ring but am instead killing time waiting for my wrist to heal 😂 Shudder throwing a bunch of this stuff up last week was convenient though because it's given me something to watch the past couple days.

That’s right!  I did see Shudder added Inside.  Did they also add Frontier(s) or did you watch that somewhere else?  

8 minutes ago, Rip said:

That’s right!  I did see Shudder added Inside.  Did they also add Frontier(s) or did you watch that somewhere else?  

Yep, Frontier(s) as well - they added 6-8 "French extremity" flicks last week.  I'd seen most of them (and like 2 aren't showing up in my app that are supposed to - yay shudder 😬) but these few had been on my periphery for a bit and I needed something to do!

3 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Yep, Frontier(s) as well - they added 6-8 "French extremity" flicks last week.  I'd seen most of them (and like 2 aren't showing up in my app that are supposed to - yay shudder 😬) but these few had been on my periphery for a bit and I needed something to do!

Just looked and oooo yeah they added some good ones.  Praise Shudder.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Any other particularly good ones besides the one's I've seen (I've seen Livid and Irreversible previously) here recently?

High Tension is a must.  I assume you’ve seen that one though, right?

Them is also great.  You can tell it really inspired The Strangers.  Among the Living is pretty fun too.  Same directors as Inside, Livide, etc.  I’ve also heard good things about Sheitan but I haven’t seen it yet.

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

High Tension is a must.  I assume you’ve seen that one though, right?

Them is also great.  You can tell it really inspired The Strangers.  Among the Living is pretty fun too.  Same directors as Inside, Livide, etc.  I’ve also heard good things about Sheitan but I haven’t seen it yet.

Yeah, I saw High Tension in the theater when it first came out.  I was going to re-visit but I think i saw that the one on Shudder right now is edited / incomplete so I'm skipping it.  I've seen Among the Living (I think I've seen all of their stuff now except for that brand new one).  I'll take a look at Them, I'm not a huge fan of The Strangers though.

I did a Shudder back to back of Housewife and The Seed this morning. Accidentally they go together well, both being in the light cosmic horror / kind of sleazy vein, but from different tonal approaches. Neither are anything overtly special, but they’re both competently put together and entertaining watches.

Sorry for the thread clutter, cramming a bunch of watching into these last few days before the cast comes off my wrist so I can get back to playing Elden Ring 😂

Watched The Old Ways on Netflix last night. Pretty forgetable little flick, nothing that makes it particularly recommendable. Also watched the European sci-fi flick Aniara (on Hulu), which is the best cosmic horror movie I’ve seen that just happens to not be a horror movie at all.

3 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

It'll probably be one I watch at home unless the indie theater by my place shows it.  I've kind of realized I don't miss the theater as much as I thought I would.

Yeah, I only go to the local indie theaters now.  That sounds snobbier than it is, it's just that basically anything that I want to see only comes to one of them; so on the really small occasions films have a wider release I literally never notice because I'm only really watching the calendars of like 3 places...

On 3/24/2022 at 2:53 PM, iwokeinrelief said:

Yeah, I only go to the local indie theaters now.  That sounds snobbier than it is, it's just that basically anything that I want to see only comes to one of them; so on the really small occasions films have a wider release I literally never notice because I'm only really watching the calendars of like 3 places...

I've been doing the same lately. Plus my local theatre has been showing all kinds of throwback horror movies lately as well as stuff you just wouldn't discover anywhere else. One of the staff members always does a short introduction of the film before he plays it and explains how he found it and any stories he has about it. They really seem to care about what they do! And its interesting to hear their insights beforehand so you go into the film with a little more background knowledge. 

X ruled, saw it opening day. Two other people in the theater due to the middle of the day Friday showing I attended but honestly wish it had been more crowded. Horror and comedy are the only genres truly heightened by the communal experience IMO. But I’m a theater junkie and will see any and everything in a theater so long as it’s convenient for my schedule.