The official Horror fan topic

Rip

3 hours ago, Rip said:

I saw that earlier.  And then I couldn't for the life of me even remember anything of that soundtrack (I only remember when the blonde is singing) and decide that probably didn't warrant dropping $30.

I watched The Sadness a bit ago (which is coming to Shudder in a week or so) and it's a lot.  Like, *a lot* a lot.  It certainly is not for the squeamish, and if you have buttons to press it'll certainly press them.  I don't know how I feel about it - it's effective, but a rough watch.  I have other thoughts but they get a spoiler-y.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

6 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I watched The Sadness a bit ago (which is coming to Shudder in a week or so) and it's a lot.  Like, *a lot* a lot.  It certainly is not for the squeamish, and if you have buttons to press it'll certainly press them.  I don't know how I feel about it - it's effective, but a rough watch.  I have other thoughts but they get a spoiler-y.

This is great to hear.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen something super fucked up.

3 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I’d missed checking out The Poughkeepsie Tapes when it was briefly on Shudder, but saw it had popped up on Prime so gave it a watch.

😬

It’s pretty nuts.  First time I watched it was years and years ago.  I think it was only available on Facebook of all places.  Watched it again to show my wife for the first time a couple years ago and it still held up as being creepy as hell.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

It’s pretty nuts.  First time I watched it was years and years ago.  I think it was only available on Facebook of all places.  Watched it again to show my wife for the first time a couple years ago and it still held up as being creepy as hell.

Yeah, it’s crazy unnerving, really effective and unsettling. Glad I finally checked it out, definitely wanted a shower afterwards 😂

I got a new job a few months ago which has given me way, way better work-life balance, which means more time for horror movies 🙂

Some of the movies I've watched lately...

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976). I really liked this movie. Considering I usually like my slashers with a healthy dose of gore and sleaze, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Really great atmosphere here and for some reason the narration stuck a chord with me too. Allegedly based on a true story, this one is about a mystery killer terrorizing a town at night (hence the title). Hoping to catch the 2014 remake if/when it comes to Canadian Shudder.

Fatal Exam (1990).  I actually watched this twice because I didn't want to be unfair to it but I feel like I deserve a medal for spending 4+ hours of my life with this movie. I once thought "Don't Panic" was the worst horror movie I've ever seen but this might just be the worst movie I've ever seen - period. It's a haunted house/possession movie but it's so amateurish, badly written, badly acted, and badly recorded (yes, even the sound is noticeably bad) that it crosses from "so bad it's good" to just really, really bad. It isn't scary and it's far too long. 

Scare Package (2020). I can see how people would like this movie but it was a little too self-aware and meta for me. It's a horror comedy anthology that pokes fun at horror tropes.  Joe Bob Briggs has a cameo, which I enjoyed, but overall it winks at the audience a little too much for my taste.

A Bay of Blood (1971). A slasher with sleaze and gore - my favourite! Really dug this one. Had never really heard of it before but it was part of my journey through slasher history. Some good kills in this movie and now I see the "inspiration" for some of the F13 kills. Glad I stumbled across this movie.

I’m around 2-3 years late in this but my wife and I watched the HBO series Los Espookys over the last week and thought it was delightful. Super twee and funny / charming. Season 2 reportedly finished filming earlier this year so I’m glad we’re catching it late so we don’t have to wait super long for more episodes.

10 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

I’m around 2-3 years late in this but my wife and I watched the HBO series Los Espookys over the last week and thought it was delightful. Super twee and funny / charming. Season 2 reportedly finished filming earlier this year so I’m glad we’re catching it late so we don’t have to wait super long for more episodes.

I wish my wife liked horror-comedies.  She absolutely loves horror movies, but any kind of comedy thrown in where like… you can tell they’re trying to be funny, usually kills it for her.  She didn’t even like What We Do In The Shadows and I couldn’t believe it.

To this day, the only horror-comedy I know that she genuinely likes and enjoys is Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.  Why that one stands out to her, I have no idea.

5 hours ago, Rip said:

I wish my wife liked horror-comedies.  She absolutely loves horror movies, but any kind of comedy thrown in where like… you can tell they’re trying to be funny, usually kills it for her.  She didn’t even like What We Do In The Shadows and I couldn’t believe it.

To this day, the only horror-comedy I know that she genuinely likes and enjoys is Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.  Why that one stands out to her, I have no idea.

Not sure if it makes a difference but this is 100% a comedy that just happens to be about a group of friends of who happen to like horror movies. It’s delightfully weird at times but it’s for sure *at most* horror-adjacent; it’s very much just a huge-hearted comedy.

6 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Not sure if it makes a difference but this is 100% a comedy that just happens to be about a group of friends of who happen to like horror movies. It’s delightfully weird at times but it’s for sure *at most* horror-adjacent; it’s very much just a huge-hearted comedy.

I’ll have to look into it then!  Thanks buddy.

Actually watched some stuff today:

- The Sadness: really fucked up, but really good.  Looooved all the practical effects.  Always a breath of fresh air when you see those nowadays.  Reminded me of a more intense “Crazies.”  But yeah, one of the better zombie movies I’ve seen in a while

- The Sentinel (1977): had really strong Rosemary’s Baby vibes, but was also fairly original.  Actually pretty hard to explain, but definitely recommend checking it out if you can.

- High-Rise: no way I would consider this a horror movie, but it was horror-adjacent.  I also didn’t really get the point.  Like… I know what the movie was trying to say, but the story itself ended up feeling pretty pointless 

10 hours ago, Rip said:

- The Sadness: really fucked up, but really good.  Looooved all the practical effects.  Always a breath of fresh air when you see those nowadays.  Reminded me of a more intense “Crazies.”  But yeah, one of the better zombie movies I’ve seen in a while

Yeah, agreed it was one of the better zombie flicks i've seen a while also; honestly i thought the scenes that were more straight zombie-genre (vs the more fucked up aspects ) were really what made the film as strong as it is.  Maybe it's my age showing, but i certainly felt that some of the more shocking parts (either the onscreen actions or the dialogue) tried a bit too hard and/or felt a bit flat.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, iwokeinrelief said:

Los Espookys is a lot of fun (and also very fun to say).  Seems to be a bit of a hidden gem.

18 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

I watched The Northman earlier this week and really enjoyed it.  It's his most accessible film and I'm guessing people who would have no interested in The Witch or The Lighthouse could dig this.  This is over simplifying, but it kind of boils down to a revenge film. 

It ruled. Still very weird and Eggersy for such a big budget movie but certainly much more accessible to a broader audience.

Heading out to see Men tonight.

I watched Virus 32 on Shudder 😴

Super average zombie flick with one well-done in terms of tension scene. The “hook” (where the title comes from) is underwhelming and barely used to any decent effect.
I had issues with numerous parts of The Sadness but it is a massively superior zombie film.

Need to catch Men, but not sure it’ll fit into my schedule so I might end up waiting for a DL of it.

I've had a super tough time catching up on movies this year, buuuttt...

I watched The Northman last night. Killer stuff. I'd put it right up there with the other 2 Eggers movies, which are a couple of my favorites of all time.

Not horror, but I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once too, and holy shit!! What a fucking movie.

I saw X last weekend and loved it.

Planning to watch The Innocents and You Won't Be Alone over the next couple days.

Also reeealllly want to see Men asap. Then I'll be caught up on my most anticipated movies of the year.

Was sick over the weekend and spent a lot of time in front of the TV.

Torn Hearts - This was a fun way to spend part of a Saturday night.   Nothing revolutionary, but it's well made and goes by quickly.

Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror - I really liked this.  Well worth the watch if you're interested in folk horror.  It's long (3+ hours), but it's broken up into chapters and would be easy to split up across multiple sittings.

On the non-horror side of things :

Everything Everywhere - I liked this quite a lot and I feel like another viewing or two would only increase how much I like it.  It's so wild and inventive and pretty amazing they made it work so well.  I didn't expect it to be so funny either (I went in 100% blind).

Nightmare Alley - Finally had time for this and liked it a lot as well.  Even though it's slowly paced, the it never felt long. 

Bull - Very good revenge / crime flick.  There's a plot thing that didn't quite work for me, but overall a really solid ride. 

1 hour ago, radiatorhums said:

Everything Everywhere - I liked this quite a lot and I feel like another viewing or two would only increase how much I like it.  It's so wild and inventive and pretty amazing they made it work so well.  I didn't expect it to be so funny either (I went in 100% blind).

It’s *so* funny. Opening weekend in a pretty packed theater and everyone howling was a blast. Took my friend to see it about a week ago for my second viewing - loved it again - and will probably watch it with my wife this coming weekend.

17 hours ago, radiatorhums said:

Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror - I really liked this.  Well worth the watch if you're interested in folk horror.  It's long (3+ hours), but it's broken up into chapters and would be easy to split up across multiple sittings.

This sounds awesome.  Is it steaming anywhere?