The official Horror fan topic

Rip

We watched Hatching last night - it was weird, so that’s a plus. Cinematography and set work was great also, presenting a very cultivated / sterile mien, which for sure works well with the plot.

That said, this struck me as a bit average, with the above bumping it slightly up in my estimation. I liked it enough, and it’s always good to see something new vs derivative, but ultimately I expected a bit more and this was a bit thin.

4 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

We watched Hatching last night - it was weird, so that’s a plus. Cinematography and set work was great also, presenting a very cultivated / sterile mien, which for sure works well with the plot.

That said, this struck me as a bit average, with the above bumping it slightly up in my estimation. I liked it enough, and it’s always good to see something new vs derivative, but ultimately I expected a bit more and this was a bit thin.

I got excited because every source I checked online said that Hatching actually went up on Hulu on May 6th, but nope, nothing.  Apparently all the sources just copied and pasted a lie haha.  Either way, I still plan on checking it out as soon as it goes up somewhere.

28 minutes ago, Rip said:

I got excited because every source I checked online said that Hatching actually went up on Hulu on May 6th, but nope, nothing.  Apparently all the sources just copied and pasted a lie haha.  Either way, I still plan on checking it out as soon as it goes up somewhere.

Oh for sure. My wife and I totally bought into that lie as well and were super disappointed that weekend 😂 I almost dropped $20 on it to watch it on the Sundance stream so I’ve been waiting on this one for while.

5 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Anyone seen Dashcam yet? Reviews suggest it’s been pretty divisive, though I’m trying not to spoil myself too much on the plot. 

Is this finally available somewhere to rent/stream?  I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

Not horror, but want to throw it out to the regulars here as it's got a special over-the-top / batshit quality that's always fun: me and my bud went and caught the Indian flick RRR last night and it's the best kind of nuts.  It was such a blast.

7 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Is this finally available somewhere to rent/stream?  I've been wanting to check it out for a while.

Not horror, but want to throw it out to the regulars here as it's got a special over-the-top / batshit quality that's always fun: me and my bud went and caught the Indian flick RRR last night and it's the best kind of nuts.  It was such a blast.

I really wanna see Dashcam as well.  Had no idea it was available anywhere.

Also saw RRR was on Netflix so I may have to get on that.  I’ve heard great things.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:28 AM, dawhizz said:

Anyone seen Dashcam yet? Reviews suggest it’s been pretty divisive, though I’m trying not to spoil myself too much on the plot. 

Literally a minute after I responded a couple days ago to this I found this uploaded on the tracker I use - watched it last night; quick thoughts: 

Pedestrian shaky cam found footage with a distinctly unlikable main character. Unlikable can be fine but this is just her being unlikable for loooong stretches of the film. Super disappointing follow-up to Host, which managed to be a lean and well-thought found-footage film that used every vignette to great effect, where as this is mostly aimless rambling mixed with frantic running / blurry shots of the ground whipping past and maybe a bloody hand here or there.

(I should point out that I love found footage films, but this one just did not work for me)

Edited by iwokeinrelief

23 minutes ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Literally a minute after I responded a couple days ago to this I found this uploaded on the tracker I use - watched it last nigh; quick thoughts: 

Pedestrian shaky cam found footage with a distinctly unlikable main character. Unlikable can be fine but this is just her being unlikable for loooong stretches of the film. Super disappointing follow-up to Host, which managed to be a lean and well-thought found-footage film that used every vignette to great effect, where as this is mostly aimless rambling mixed with frantic running / blurry shots of the ground whipping past and maybe a bloody hand here or there.

(I should point out that I love found footage films, but this one just did not work for me)

Damn this is really disappointing to hear.  Host was one of the better horror films I’ve seen in the past couple years. I’ll still probably check this out but I’ll lower my expectations a bit.

6 minutes ago, Rip said:

Damn this is really disappointing to hear.  Host was one of the better horror films I’ve seen in the past couple years. I’ll still probably check this out but I’ll lower my expectations a bit.

Yeah, I absolutely loved Host, was hands down the best horror flick of 2020 for me (well, pure horror; my favorite overall film from 2020 was After Midnight) so this was a huge letdown for me.

Last night watched Candyman (2021) and it truly felt  like a proper & logical sequel to the original. The storyline & twists that not only revived & expanded the mythos and internal urban legend, were all done phenomenally & with evident care. And the subtle references & easter eggs that brought it all full circle to the original were fun to catch. 

The way the visuals were handled with mirrors & reflective surfaces gave me chills at a few spots. And…spoiler alert (maybe?)…how the bee sting infection spread…oof…that gave me the heebie jeebies.

50 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Last night watched Candyman (2021) and it truly felt  like a proper & logical sequel to the original. The storyline & twists that not only revived & expanded the mythos and internal urban legend, were all done phenomenally & with evident care. And the subtle references & easter eggs that brought it all full circle to the original were fun to catch. 

The way the visuals were handled with mirrors & reflective surfaces gave me chills at a few spots. And…spoiler alert (maybe?)…how the bee sting infection spread…oof…that gave me the heebie jeebies.

I really really dug the new Candyman. Thought it was smart + great.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:47 AM, Rip said:

Also saw RRR was on Netflix so I may have to get on that.  I’ve heard great things.

As a follow-up to this, I convinced my wife to watch this with me this past weekend and her response afterwards was "why would I ever want to watch anything else after seeing this?" 😂 It was just as much fun on a re-watch, and hearing her laugh ( a "you can't be serious" laugh, not a bad laugh) throughout was fun as well.

1 hour ago, iwokeinrelief said:

As a follow-up to this, I convinced my wife to watch this with me this past weekend and her response afterwards was "why would I ever want to watch anything else after seeing this?" 😂 It was just as much fun on a re-watch, and hearing her laugh ( a "you can't be serious" laugh, not a bad laugh) throughout was fun as well.

Man I don’t know if I can convince my wife to watch it with me.  She’s not really into “over the top, ridiculous action” movies.  Which sucks cause then I gotta find time to watch it on my own haha.

51 minutes ago, radiatorhums said:

This makes me even more curious!  How's the 3 hour runtime?  

It’s pretty damn brisk. There’s a bit of lull right after the halfway mark (in the theatrical version there’s a 15 minute intermission, the lull is right after the intermission but Netflix doesn’t have the intermission title-card); however it promptly speeds back up and goes hella hard right through the end. 
It’s seriously so much fun.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

Mad God is up on Shudder now.  Any of you guys get a chance to watch it yet?  Not sure when I’ll get around too it myself.  My wife is also very weird about animated stuff.  Especially stop animation.  Freaks her out a lot 😂.  For someone who likes horror just as much as me, she’s pretty damn picky.

7 hours ago, Rip said:

Mad God is up on Shudder now.  Any of you guys get a chance to watch it yet?  Not sure when I’ll get around too it myself.  My wife is also very weird about animated stuff.  Especially stop animation.  Freaks her out a lot 😂.  For someone who likes horror just as much as me, she’s pretty damn picky.

I watched it through other channels a few months back and really enjoyed it.  It's definitely got a narrative going on, but it's much more akin to viewing a huge art installation; it's surrealist and weird as hell and I thought it moved quickly for something that's basically entirely free of dialogue.  Not surprisingly at all but it's an absolute visual marvel.